PDA

View Full Version : Hotstart Parts/Nut

CJM
09-17-2012, 05:17 PM
I think found out why my hotstart doesnt want to work right. The stupid plastic nut is stripped out.

Looking on ebay and OEM parts sites, you cant buy this stupid nut alone.

Anyone got the hot start nut for an 04-05 laying around?

Scro
09-17-2012, 07:53 PM
It would be wise to invest in one of these. I got one after mine stripped out. This one may fit, but I would check to be sure.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRO-CIRCUIT-CARB-Hot-Start-HONDA-CRF-450-R-2002-08-/230852629922?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35bfe395a2&vxp=mtr

CJM
09-17-2012, 08:11 PM
I wanted to get one of those Dustin as I had seen them while searching ebay.

Alas they all state they are for FCR carbs tho.

HOWEVER the part # for a crf450r matches closely. #16019-HP1-671 is the trx450r setup, but the CRF # is 1609-MB1-671. Might just work IDK.I guess Ill give it a shot and see.

Scro
09-18-2012, 03:17 AM
Give Baldwin a call. If anybody knows if it would work, he would. If it won't, he could probably recommend something.

Pittsburgh400ex
09-18-2012, 05:05 AM
Whats the hot start do exactly? Mine isnt even hooked up and i never have trouble getting it fired up under any condition. Always fires by 2nd kick. Just wondered if its a stock engine thing not needed on one thats tuned?

Scro
09-18-2012, 05:08 AM
It leans out the mixture. When you stall these engines when they are hot, they can be very hard to get started again. The hotstart helps alot in these situations. When you have a bike jetted perfectly, they're definately not as hard to start if you stall them.

Your plunger is probably frozen in the carb in yours, for it not to be hooked up. It's a common problem. You can let it sit in PB blaster to loosen it up. Worst case, they have to drilled out.

Pittsburgh400ex
09-18-2012, 06:15 AM
It jetted pretty close, i keep the idle a little high. Still i little hiccup in 2nd going from closed to wideopen in low rpm. Header does get hot sometimes, not rideable in shorts. Probably shoukd richen it a bit and hook that back up.

2001400exrida
09-18-2012, 07:33 AM
my hotstart is in tact, but i have honestly never used the damm thing.

CJM
09-18-2012, 11:42 AM
I dont use mine alot either but sometimes its handy.

I honestly am not sure wtf I had going on and thats what led me to take it all apart.

Wont start unless the idle is high, once you get it going and warmed up you can lower the idle. Use the choke in this manner and holy hell the idle SCREAMS.

Also if you pull the hotstart lever it should raise the idle, it wasnt doing that.

So thus now Im left with a broken plastic hunk of junk and no closer to my solution.

01boneless
09-18-2012, 12:13 PM
get it jetted good and buy a hotstart assembly and block it like you do for a 400...thats what I did cause the hotstart can be a pita. sometimes it works loose and makes it lean and it saves a little weight. lol

CJM
09-18-2012, 02:28 PM
Im gonna try to make the hotstart work right first. That dont work Ill block it off.

I never used it much really so far, but a friend of mine had an 05 and once hot it refused to start without it. So id like to give it a shot for now.

Pittsburgh400ex
09-18-2012, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by CJM

Wont start unless the idle is high, once you get it going and warmed up you can lower the idle. Use the choke in this manner and holy hell the idle SCREAMS.

That's what i do, crank it up before i kick it and leave it run like that for 20-30 seconds and back it off. Doesn't need long surpringly. The opposite every honda i've had. They are all cold-blooded, especially my 300ex's, Hated waiting on that thing.

CJM
09-18-2012, 09:48 PM
Yea I cant figure it out. Friends 05 was same way but not as bad. On 450r.org someone mentioned intake valves out of spec but IDK. Id think it would be harder to start hot with tight valves.

Pittsburgh400ex
09-19-2012, 04:54 AM
Whats your airbox like? I know i took the whole intake tube out completely and used a gallon milk jug cap and put it in the inlet and clamped it. No lid on. Thinkin maybe your sucking too much air when jts cold but that intake should only matter when moving.

Pittsburgh400ex
09-19-2012, 05:00 AM
Got to thinkin...i have to take my seat off my rubicon and almost cover the top of the intake jnder the tank with my hand to get it to fire. My choke works and its jetted right for the mudslinger exhaust on it. Just the way it is but i run it with the lid so that would work. Id think wouldnt matter with lid off, no way to restrict it.

CJM
09-19-2012, 06:46 AM
No lid, EHS filter lid (the giant outwears slip on cover.

Over on 450r.org they said the intake valves are too tight?

Pittsburgh400ex
09-19-2012, 07:16 AM
Well i know that ltr i was looking at buying had tight valves. When it was hot he had to crank and crank and crank to get it running. He got them adjusted and fixed the problem. Id say its worth checking clearances. Lol, whike your in there put a cam in her! Id like to hear reviews on people running that sparks race cam. I hear it hits hard everywhere. Think it needs new rockers and springs tho. HC2 runs great in mine. If you cant get it to work tho guess youll have to fix that hotstart, ive just never had a use for mine.

2001400exrida
09-19-2012, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Pittsburgh400ex
That's what i do, crank it up before i kick it and leave it run like that for 20-30 seconds and back it off. Doesn't need long surpringly. The opposite every honda i've had. They are all cold-blooded, especially my 300ex's, Hated waiting on that thing.

you shouldn't have to adjust the idle everytime you start it. The choke will give it a high idle and if you get your motor/carb in tune, you can use the choke to start it, run it for 20 seconds or so and then take the choke off and have the idle right where you want it.

if you're having to adjust the idle everytime just to get it running you either need to adjust the valves or adjust the pilot.

These are not like the 400ex carbs. I know lots of guys who have the stock pilot and plenty of mods. Try to put the 48 pilot in there CJM i have a feeling that's going to really help your starting, if it's not that then you definitely need to re shim the valves, but the pilot is an easy start.

Pittsburgh400ex
09-19-2012, 10:16 AM
I dont touch the idle but when its cold. I just turn it up a bit for 30 sec or so then back down and no probs. Kicks and starts perfect after that everytime. Sometimes the choke wont hold out long enough, its wearing out.

Foxhound013
09-19-2012, 03:20 PM
I had that stupid nut strip out on me too, I ordered a tokyo mods metal replacement. Looks just like the pro circuit one posted earlier. The guy I ordered mine from is a dealer for Tucker Rocky so if you know anyone nearby who sells for Tucker Rocky then they shouldn't have any trouble getting you the part.

CJM
09-19-2012, 04:26 PM
I couldnt justify the price for the tokyo mods or the pro circuit, I did find a near identical one on ebay for 13 bucks tho.

Thanks to forum member baileygunns tho, hes sending me a stock plastic one just incase.