PDA

View Full Version : Cant figure it out

Lquad71
09-17-2012, 11:15 AM
Saturday night I was helping my buddy all night trying to get his 2004 going and there is nothing else I can think of for his bike not running.
He melted the plug for the rectifier so we replaced the entire wiring harnness, stator, coil, cdi box. Everything electrtical we replaced. Then I went and found out the valves were out of adjustment so I adjusted them to be correct and still nothing. Cleaned out the entire carb and still nothing. He took off the spark plug and sprayed starter fluid it in the put the plug back on and not even a pop, just dead. It has spark and we put starter fluid in so i dont really get it, spark plus fuel equals fire. and absolutely nothing. Then we swapped carbs that came off a running bike and still nothing at all. Can anyone help?

fastredrider44
09-17-2012, 11:55 AM
Check your spark some more. Make for sure it's getting a good spark. I would check your grounds, try a new plug, and last, replace the stator since I seem to have a problem with weak stators on these bikes.

DnB_racing
09-17-2012, 05:42 PM
youve given it fuel (starting fluid)..
it has spark..
im sure its getting air....
it only leaves timing.. and compression
im not saying the cam is out, it might be, but im thinking for some reason your trigger is your issue, maybe a bad connection or a crossed wire..
but just give that part of the circuit a good going over

and check your starting compression

Lquad71
09-17-2012, 05:52 PM
we checked the timing twice after adjusting the valves just to be sure and timing is good. Also tried three different wiring harnesses. two different spark plugs. changed one coil. and tried another stator. We checked grounds several times but I will look again.
We did not compression test it although it feels like it has compression. Where is a good place to get a tester for it? I have no idea what it could be. Not even a single pop or even trying.

DnB_racing
09-17-2012, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Lquad71
we checked the timing twice after adjusting the valves just to be sure and timing is good. Also tried three different wiring harnesses. two different spark plugs. changed one coil. and tried another stator. We checked grounds several times but I will look again.
We did not compression test it although it feels like it has compression. Where is a good place to get a tester for it? I have no idea what it could be. Not even a single pop or even trying. I dont think its your cam timing, I got a feeling that its not sparking at the right time
give your pick up coil and evey wire and connector a thorough going over, make sure one wire is properly grounded, and the other goes to the cdi

Lquad71
09-17-2012, 06:46 PM
If that is the problem then would that give it a weak spark or no spark. Because it is giving spark. What I did notice was that when you kick it over slowly then no spark. When you kick it over fast then the spark suddenly works. Thanks for all the info as well!

DnB_racing
09-17-2012, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Lquad71
If that is the problem then would that give it a weak spark or no spark. Because it is giving spark. What I did notice was that when you kick it over slowly then no spark. When you kick it over fast then the spark suddenly works. Thanks for all the info as well! it has to have a certain amount of rpms for a sufficient spark, i think its around 1000 -1200 rpm

Lquad71
09-20-2012, 02:30 PM
So i found out what the problem was...
and i about pulled all of my hair out when I found out. When my buddy put together the motor he did not torque the flywheel. He went to practice at the track for three laps and then it just quit. And because some of his electrical was melted I thought it needed a new harness or something like that. But after many hours of looking it over and trying different everything I thought I might check to see if hey put the key in the channel of the crank because if he didnt even torque the flywheel then he probably missed putting that piece in. So i pulled off the nut on the flywheel and sure enough it was in there. But i pulled off the flywheel just because something in there had to be the problem. and sure enough....the key was split into two pieces. The spark timing was completely off.