PDA

View Full Version : Why we buy, what we buy??????????

jlhughes750
03-10-2003, 03:11 PM
I recently asked a question to a member who had recently purchased a new product for his ATV. I asked what attracted him to this product, was it? Price, convienience, or was it proven by a top rider???? What was the real reason???? I was then labeled a clueless trouble maker that bashed others behind there back.

MY QUESTION IS???? What attracts us to the products we buy??

Please list the last major upgrade u purchased and why!!!! I'm just curious why????? Just to be clear i represent knowone i'm simply curious.

I guess the guy that accused me of bashing his products(eca400) thinks thats what this forum is all about. I still am not willing to lower myself to that level, even though i should , simply out of defense of my own name.... but i won't yet!!!!!!!

LATER,J

KandK952
03-10-2003, 03:14 PM
PEP ZPS shocks- many top name pro's use them and Wayne is a great guy and a good sponsor.
Burgard LT A-arms- they look awesome and got good feedback from Randy Lehr on them, and got them for nearly half price off
LSR axle- heard they are almost indestructable (wrong)
440 kit, ported head, valve job-wanted more power.

Is this what you wanted? Those are a few things I had reasons for.

KandK952
03-10-2003, 03:15 PM
ohhhh... well that last one was the a arms.

03-10-2003, 04:07 PM
i just recently got houser +2 a arms and PEP ZPS shocks. I bought them because they are proven reliable and have been around to know there stuff. I will spend the extra money to not deal with someone elses headaches or a company with poor customer service. PEP was very informative and friendly, there shocks are used by many pros and top guys on this site, and i personally love them. The housers are used by over 100 people on this site and have proven reliable. looks mean nothing to me when purchasing so i dont care how pretty it looks i want something usuable and not crap. Im sure there are many other companies out there that may be better then houser but thats when cost starts to come in. I dont think i need to pay the extra $300 for the little quality increase. Just my .02

03-10-2003, 04:14 PM
its not a big purchase but i got my white bros pro meg slip on for my 300. I bought it cuz it looked good, Nice sound level, good deal, and i wanted some more tourqe, and i think it is one of the best pipes.:blah

Sparks425Ex
03-10-2003, 04:33 PM
Burgard A Arms-Great Price, and A person I trust greatly referred me to them.

Elka Triples Rates-Great price, And Jeff and I have been friends for a long while now and when the shock question came up for me he had one word to say."ELKA" He can run anything he wants and if he is running Elka he must be for a reason.

Sparks Engine-Deff Not Price(lol)-Been Proven by to riders and They are proven to put out great power...

toby400ex
03-10-2003, 06:45 PM
i like shiny stuff, but i usually cant afford it
:(

speedy400
03-10-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by toby400ex
i like shiny stuff, but i usually cant afford it
:(
lmao! we all seem to have that little problem:D :rolleyes:

03-10-2003, 08:42 PM
I look at price..who runs the product..and the company that stands behind the product.. I sure as he11 won't wait 3 years for something or run it because it has a fancy name on it and it looks cool... But price is probably the main factor in the products I buy.. Yes you get what you pay for ,,but metal is metal and the guys name that makes it doesn't make it any better.. This is a good question and hopefully will be a good thread...what it boils down to is most all aftermarket companies are out to make a buck and in the atv industry most of those guys look at bucks as bein franklins not a $1 buck...:( they might act like their lookin out for us the consumer..but what there lookin out of is the big window on there 60 foot yaght...:o This doesn't go for all companies and maybe i need to get in the business to see what really makes the gears turn??:confused: But i find it hard to believe a good cam is $250+, a anti-fade axle nut is $280, Rims at $175 a piece, tires $75, swingarms for $600+,..come on..I"m not building a friggen aircraft carrier..it's a got damn ATV for Gods sakes...:rolleyes:

JOEX
03-10-2003, 09:41 PM
Rico,

I agree with you 99%.....Except for this part:

,,but metal is metal and the guys name that makes it doesn't make it any better..

It doesn't neccessarily matter whose name is on the product, but I feel what the person does with the machine to make the part has an effect on the fitment of the part and may make the part better. Names have a bit of influence, but big names aren't always best.
Granted, you have WAY more experience in this field than me:)JMO:)

Joe

K_Fulk
03-10-2003, 10:08 PM
FCR 39 carb - They use them on all the hi-tech 4 stroke bike's. So that makes it good enough for my quad.

Sparks pipe- Engine builders have the best pipes for modded motors. And sparks is one of the best engine builders.

Gibson pro pegs - Bought them cause i got them cheap on ebay new and the pegs are replaceable.

Those are about the only major things i have bought lately, And between those 3 things i got them for half of what i would of payed new retail.

bmw500hp
03-10-2003, 10:32 PM
Here's a little different perspective for you Hughs...

FCR - Purchased used, proven performance. Can be sold for almost if not the same as paid.

Douglas Billets - Purchased used. Very Satisfied with quality and Great Customer relations area of the Company. Can be sold for about the same price as paid.

Pep Shocks - Purchased used. Proven performance. Can be sold for little loss or same price as paid.

JRD A-arms - Style imitating a product I could not justify purchasing new and could not find used. JRD price enabled me to aquire a "gull wing" style a-arm at an attractive price. Sure, there will be a loss with the sale of a new product , but ya can't win em all!

We live in a world dominated by marketing Hype, and this industry is a premier example! I personally like to base desicions, investments and modification on proven performace, corporate/customer relationships BUT the ability to achieve a resonable return on investment must be considered. Unless you just give a **** you will run out of funds if you blow your coin and enjoy multiple expensive hobbies.

IMAO, the ability of a product to retain it's value in the marketplace usually is correlated to the marketing dollars spent to build and retain brand recoginition as well as a solid track record of performance. It is difficult to achieve and mantian a large % of the marketplace without this balance.

Chef
03-10-2003, 10:45 PM
Uh.....lets see...

Fullbore Plastics: Cause I wanted to have black plastic, look cool, and be different.

250R: Cause I wanted to build a fast, and good handling, quad for TT.

PSI 425 Genesis: Cause I wanna be the fastest.

$7,000 into a 4 Stroke Motor: See Previous item.

Houser A-Arms: Cause they were in stock.

RPM Swingarm: Cause I wanted a billet one, and they recommended I buy the normal aluminum one.

Big Gun Race Pipe: Cause it came with the motor.

FCR39 Carb: See "Big Gun Race Pipe".

Add On Bowl for FCR 39: Cause the FCR didnt hold enough fuel for my motor.

Custom Paint on my white Maier: Cause I wanna look good while I'm passing you.

TCS Shocks: Cause I can get them 20% off...why else?

FMF 909 Bars: Cause they look cool, and are the right bend.

Razrs: Cause I thought they were the best........and now Im convinced.

Douglas Billet Beadlocks: Cause they are phockin sweet lookin!

A4StrokeGuy
03-11-2003, 05:37 AM
I try to base my purchases on price, looks and recommendations. I also like to be a bit different so i try not to follow a beaten path! Customer service is the biggest thing i judge on though, if u can't get tech help then what good will nice parts do you

jlhughes750
03-11-2003, 06:37 AM
thanks for the feed back guys!!!!! Its interesting to hear everyones explanations.
later,J

Pappy
03-11-2003, 06:56 AM
normally i buy the best value for the money:eek2: i deal with pretty much one company for 95% of my parts and that normally assures me of the best price and customer service before and AFTER the sale:D

i seek info from those that ACTUALLY race or have used the part im buying extensively .....not an arm chair wanna bee that has never used the part he is telling me to spend my cash on:cool:

i also try to listen to people that ACTUALLY preform the work themselves. its nerve racking to listen to a fella spout off about his badass engine only to realize he has never actually done the work but merely paid the fella to do it for him. id rather talk directly to the builder.

and lastly.....i rationalize that im not johnny pro racer so i dont need to spend $900,000 on a part just so i sound cool tellin peeps what i spent:devil

SubnetZero
03-11-2003, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Rico
But i find it hard to believe a good cam is $250+, a anti-fade axle nut is $280, Rims at $175 a piece, tires $75, swingarms for $600+,..come on..I"m not building a friggen aircraft carrier..it's a got damn ATV for Gods sakes...:rolleyes:

hehe or 2 bills for Foot Pegs!

03-11-2003, 08:31 AM
What attracts us to the products we buy

The manufacturers (the good ones at least) spend a lot of time and money answering this very question. Hey go ask that question to a car salesman and listen to what he will tell you cause there is a lot of the same "buying decisions" in that industry.

I make these decisions for different reasons depending on the part and the price etc.

Small items like a brake res cover in high polished aluminum or a pair of goggles etc are completely "impulse" and bought at the point of sale (in the store :) ) and very little thought goes into it except that it looks good and isnt very expensive.

Large Items I have spent months checking out. I had to spend close to 6 months looking and searching into suspension info b4 I made a decision. This purchase was a combo of all the normal buying "impulses" plus Quality, Performance, Design, Adjustability, MFG's reputation, Other riders experiences, looks and most importantly "VALUE". The suspension purchase had to be the longest and hardest decision because there isnt any "black and white" info avail and you have to rely on a lot of opinion and brand loyalty clouds a lot of the real info.

And no I didnt get much of anything because so and so runs it because there is a lot more to this than that.

03-11-2003, 08:39 AM
I guess the guy that accused me of bashing his products(eca400) thinks thats what this forum is all about. I still am not willing to lower myself to that level, even though i should , simply out of defense of my own name.... but i won't yet!!!!!!!

You would be suprised how that thread effected my buying decisions :devil

Right or wrong I dont want to have to deal with crap from a dealer just cause he thinks he is right, and who is right is of little concern to me if he treats me wrong.

and lastly.....i rationalize that im not johnny pro racer so i dont need to spend $900,000 on a part just so i sound cool tellin peeps what i spent LMGDAO I guess thereapy is helping :D :devil

Custom Paint on my white Maier: Cause I wanna look good while I'm passing you. Man I catch more flak over that thinking I am beginning to seriously like the BS when i hear it :D

wgbanks
03-11-2003, 10:03 AM
Anything that helps me whip up on my buddies Z400 has got a place on my bike.

REC
03-11-2003, 10:34 AM
I think advertising and magazines influance a lot of buying decisions. You really need to do some research when you decide to make a purchase. Thats a nice thing about this site, you get to hear opinions of other people that have bought the same thing that you are considering. We are not all racers that jump 80 ft triples. So we all dont have to build the bullet proof bike. Its nice to have dependability, but sometimes a less expensive part might do everything that a typical rider might need. Sure I would love to have bead locks all the way around on my ride, but first of all I cant justify the cost and truth be told I really dont need them. I am like Rico, its hard to beleive what we are paying for this stuff. The cost of the exhausts systems, and shocks are what blow me away the most. I know they are premium products, but dog gone I can by 4 shocks for my truck for a 1/4 of what a pair of low end ATV shocks will run. Well thats my 2 cents.
Later

03-11-2003, 01:10 PM
.. you go ,well put!!!.......440ex4me ;)
btw, i buy whatever I want ,..for many different reasons ,,
but primarily because I CAN!!:macho

Tommy 17
03-11-2003, 01:47 PM
elka shocks- back then they were cheap for the quality, and i needed them within 3 weeks for the rausch ride... elkas were here in a week!!!! i wasn't waitin or payin for the pep...

406 kit with tc cam- the local guy built one b4 mine and knew the exact jetting specs and everything else and he said it would be the least hassel to get running the best over a 416 with a differn't cam bc he knew everything about a tc camed 406...

pro peg ac... bc i thought they would be better then the crappy dg

champ beadlocks... bc at the time they were cheapest rimz made that were beadlocks and they would hold up to the abuse i give them...

trx400ex
03-11-2003, 02:54 PM
well the reason i bought my front end was

looks
alot of pros use them
they are well made
i love the name

Its a Roll Design, and yes it is way over priced and no one really can give you an answer as to why. I got a little deal on these, but to go order this set new is almost 1700$ for the aarms alone:eek2: thats the regular 1400 plus 300 chrome.

ALL the other parts on my bike were bought considering the price and value, that is a main factor for someone with a very limited budget like me. But i had to have this front end and i think the advertising is what did it. Look in the jan edition of dirtwheels from last year. That 15 page or so add makes you want to get on the phone and place a 12,000 order for a whole chassis.

phatswinn
03-11-2003, 03:39 PM
i buy things because i dont liek to have money

Bean
03-11-2003, 04:44 PM
price
reliablity
reference
being different

are my main reasons to purchase something

Pro400EXC
03-11-2003, 05:06 PM
Well I mainly go by Price, Name and who use's them..and also Reviews on them...

Plus since I am poor,i need to shop smart...so price is a factor...

Chef
03-11-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by 440EX4me

Man I catch more flak over that thinking I am beginning to seriously like the BS when i hear it :D

Well, you confused me....:confused:

JD400exrider
03-11-2003, 09:13 PM
I shop by price and how the product is going to hold up.

The cam i just bought was more than i probably should have paid but hey it is a HONDA part so i felt that was the best for the relaiablity and the type of riding that i do. HRC xr 400 cam $275.00

On the other hand works shocks for the front were much cheeper than the others but should work out fine for the amount of riding i do. (Have not received them yet.)
Lets face it. Modding these quads is kinda addicting like this site is. I use riding as a stress relief to take my mind off my work / company. The faster i go the more relief.

My buddy built his 440 full race four yeas ago. When he sees the prices now compared to then he cannot believe it. He will freek he blew two LARGE holes through his lower case saturday.
The more popular this sports becomes the higher prices you will see. Why because people are buying the product. When sparks told me there is a wait of over eight months to have your motor worked on that should tell you something. ;)

TRX300X
03-12-2003, 08:07 AM
Price to me isn't that big of a deal. The only problem is that I have to save up longer for different things. The reason I did everything that I did to my X is because I wanted a lightweight four stroke that was kick start and I wanted to have the power to clear jumps when I wanted to and I wanted to land them without breaking my back with the stock P.O.S. suspension. Also I wanted it to look different from everyone elses.

Basically what I'm getting at is most people would pay quite a bit for a good pair of shoes. You really cant put too high of a price on them. Thats just how I feel anyway.

QuadTrix6
03-12-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by QuadMX18
i just recently got houser +2 a arms and PEP ZPS shocks. I bought them because they are proven reliable and have been around to know there stuff. I will spend the extra money to not deal with someone elses headaches or a company with poor customer service. PEP was very informative and friendly, there shocks are used by many pros and top guys on this site, and i personally love them. The housers are used by over 100 people on this site and have proven reliable. looks mean nothing to me when purchasing so i dont care how pretty it looks i want something usuable and not crap. Im sure there are many other companies out there that may be better then houser but thats when cost starts to come in. I dont think i need to pay the extra $300 for the little quality increase. Just my .02

I believe my brother said it well for us, we also do a lot of research and ask a lot of questions :cool:

Mr_Bub400ex
03-12-2003, 08:01 PM
i flinch everytime i look at the prices...multiply my about 2 and thats what i get them for at my dealer... canada...:rolleyes:

toby400ex
03-12-2003, 08:25 PM
I recently bought a PRM swingarm skidplate. I usually buy stuff from a business that will get me the stuff fast and have an actual person to talk to. That being the reason i bought it from the quadshop. Im not sure who it was that i ordered it from but they said they use them and love them. When i got the skid 5 days later or so i couldnt believe the quality of the skidplate. All the welds are spot on and clean as a mother fugger. It is so thick i cant imagine it ever bending, or cracking or anythinh else. I am now a loyal customer of PRM, along with the quadshop. I cant wait to do some more business with ya'll.:D :D