PDA

View Full Version : carb issuse

pauly
09-15-2012, 09:16 AM
hey peeps, i got a 2012 400x, put fmf pipe on k-n filter jetted, 42 main 160 pilot. ok this thing takes forever to get to run i mean cold blooded, eventuly it will run on no choke, now this bike has only been riding 10 times .. well today i took for a ride and it wont run unless on full choke, take choke off you have to give more then half throttle and it coughs and backfires.. i took carb apart 5 times playing with jets no change, is it possible the accerlerater pump is not working?? im stumpped!!

DragonGunner
09-15-2012, 09:33 AM
Still sounds like your carb.....remember that plastic round thingy that slips over the main needle jet, about the size of a dime....are you sure you put that back the right way...?.....becuase if you didn't you get the results you are talking about. You do mean a 42 pilot an 160 main right?

pauly
09-15-2012, 09:46 AM
first off id like to say thanks for the response!! sorry yes your correct on the main and needle.. wrote it wrong. yes that white piece you are talking about only goes on one way, unless it may have moved around when putting bowl back on.. but real sure its correct.

CJM
09-15-2012, 02:56 PM
The air/fuel screw, turn it all the way in then turn it 2.5 times out.

I would also say something is dirty in the carb. Also check for air leaks at the carb boots as well.

pauly
09-15-2012, 03:39 PM
ill take carb back off and check for leaks, also does anyone know how the accelarater pump works?? when i give it gas i dont see any gas squirting in, should i ????

b0rn c0nfused
09-15-2012, 03:46 PM
If you have the carb all the way off the quad and you push the throtle you should see 2 small streams of gas shoot out.

pauly
09-16-2012, 02:52 PM
ok there is no gas squirting out!!!!! anyone familier on how this works?? i see like a square brass plug that i belive the gas comes out of..

CJM
09-16-2012, 09:41 PM
Accelerator pump is either clogged or bad. Take the bowl, then remove the 3 screws holding the pump cover off and look at the pump. It should seal nicely and have a spring in there. Clean it out well.

Now put the carb back together. Leave the plastic cover off, attach the throttle cable. Push the throttle, that little pin on the accel pump should contact the throttle butterfly. it doesnt somethings wrong.

xtreme762
09-17-2012, 10:33 AM
To ad to CJM's post above. Make sure the linkage for the accel. pump is correctly functioning. Make sure it's riding on the throttle linkage the right way throughout the whole range. If it isn't, it won't work.

When I took my carb. apart. I took it COMPLETELY apart so I could dip it in Chemtool overnight. When I put it back together, the linkage had somehow gotten bent a little, and the accel. pump linkage wasn't making contact with the throttle linkage completely. It would slip off the throttle linkage about half way up.

Also, check the diaphragm for the pump. If it has even just a small pin hole in it. It won't work correctly and will need replaced.

pauly
09-17-2012, 03:35 PM
ok thanks,, ill tear into it and see whats up.. just hard to belive that theres a problem and bike has only been riding 10 times...

BlasterEaten250
09-17-2012, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by CJM
The air/fuel screw, turn it all the way in then turn it 2.5 times out. You did check this right?

pauly
09-17-2012, 06:33 PM
it still has the factory screw, im gonna swap it with that adjustable one from tusk.. but yes im gonna screw it all the way in and out before i pull it again, just stomped on that accelerater squirt im not seeing...

CJM
09-17-2012, 06:50 PM
The accelerator pump is clogged or bad. Take it apart and clean it and check for leaks.

The gas is hooked up and on right?

dxcody
09-17-2012, 07:49 PM
I'm going to venture out, like I always do, and tell you to make sure you are getting good fuel flow out of your fuel line.

Because this kind of sounds like how my foreman was acting when I first got it.

Turned out, there wasn't enough fuel getting to the carb, because the petcock was messed up.

So check and make sure you are getting fuel TO the carb also.

I know you said there was no gas squirting out of the accelerator pump, but did you hook a fuel line up to the carb? And Did the bowl completely fill up when you hooked it up to the fuel line?

Just other things to check before you completely rip it open.

Sometimes first instinct is to tear something apart, and you overlook the simple, small things.

dxcody
09-17-2012, 07:54 PM
Also, make sure your gas cap vent isn't plugged up, because then it will cause your fuel to seep out slowly, if it lets anything out of the fuel tank.

The reasoning behind me saying stuff about gas getting to the carb, is because you said it will start and run with the choke on...

Well if you are a redneck engineer like some of us, when you run out of gas and your in the woods, you know that if you turn your choke on, you can run it a little longer to try and get you back to the truck (or whatever)..

So if it runs with the choke on, that leads me to believe you are getting fuel past the accelerator... You're just not getting very much, at all.

pauly
09-18-2012, 06:23 PM
^^^ nice post, thank you.. i did not check with fuel line hooked up. and i did unscrew the gas cap thinking that line was clogged, but no change. i will check for fuel flow from the tank, crazy brand new machine and doesnt run for crap, ill check those thing tomorrow and report back, its something stupid im sure,

pauly
09-23-2012, 03:36 PM
ok I pulled the air/fuel screw out and theres a washer and 2 o rings and a spring.. some one help me put this back together in what order?? i didnt relize there was all that in there when i turned the carb upside right and it fell out,, i know im dumb.. :( anyway theres a oring on the top then theres that spring that washer and another oring.. thanks guys..

xtreme762
09-23-2012, 03:49 PM
From the head of the screw.

o-ring
spring
washer
o-ring

The top o-ring goes in the groove by the bottom of the head.

pauly
09-23-2012, 04:35 PM
thank you for the quick respons... ill get to it and hopefuly it will run.. i wanna ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:blah:

pauly
10-05-2012, 04:24 PM
boy i did everything you all told me to do twice...it just will not run off choke,, its popping through the carb.. just like theres no gas.. everything checks out ok.. so confused :(

pauly
10-05-2012, 06:07 PM
ok here goes............ first off id like to thank all those that helped me out!! with that said, i sat here read through them all again and said what it has to be something im over looking???? well the only thing i didnt do was try new gas!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ya think i found the problem,, must be water in the gas from the gas station... put a gallon of gas from my lawn mower and i now got it to idol without choke!! I guess sometimes like you said we over look the smallest thing!!! again thanks alot,, awesome board you have here!!!