PDA

View Full Version : 310 (295) big bore sleeve kit questions

quad janern
09-15-2012, 06:39 AM
Hello
Im considering this kit for my 1986 motor:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRX250R-Big-Bore-250R-ATC-TRX-Fourtrax-295-310-Honda-/350457505875?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5198e52853&vxp=mtr

I was wondering if i need to modify my cylinder and head for alot for this kit . I see in the descrition on the kit on ebay, they supply a spec sheet how to mod the head for the big bore. What kind of mod is this ?
How about my porting? Will i need to modify the porting when the big sleeve is in?
Anything else?

Sorry for the stupid questions. I just need to know how much work this set-up needs.
Thanks

solid250r
09-15-2012, 11:21 AM
Tried this kit-sleeve not same as cylinder ports- head needed machining and paper head gasket always leaked- i would look to a good builder to help u- not a cheap kit.

etccb
09-17-2012, 06:24 AM
By the time you have that correctly installed $$ you should just get the esr 310 top end kit.

C-LEIGH RACING
09-17-2012, 07:55 AM
That 295cc kit, is $290.00 + shipping & then add $180.00 for the labor charge that companys charge to sleeve that cylinder.

Really honestly, you'll need an o ring sealing type cool head instead of the stock oem head or either have the top of the cylinder machined, so that o rings can be used instead of a gasket to keep it from leaking coolant into the cylinder bore.

By the time it is all said & done, sleeve installed, piston kit, gaskets & cool head, you can buy an all brand new ESR 310 cylinder kit & spend less money.

By the price of the new ESR cylinder kits, it has just about put the cylinder sleeving companys out of business.

BUT, which ever way you decide to go, your cylinder sleeved or an all new cylinder kit, it is not just a slap on & go riding.
You need to know, that everything about that engine is perfect before you ever put a foot on that kick starter, or else it could destroy itself in a mater of minutes.
Take you time putting it back together & leave noting untouched, fixed or replaced if needed & that engine will give you a long running life.

A 250R engine is a piece of history & needs to be taken care of the best you can, so remember that when your working on it.
Neil

JackBrown1988
09-17-2012, 10:17 AM
Dont buy the esr motor kits. i had one n still trying to get all the money i spent refunded from esr. the one i got was crap. go oem with the 295/310 sleeve if u want a 310 n no trouble. do your home work on all the esr problems n poor customer support

etccb
09-17-2012, 10:25 AM
A whole lot of these kits have been sold without any problems at all. You must install and test them correctly like any top end rebuild or cyl replacement.
Neil would not post what he did if it was any other way.

JackBrown1988
09-17-2012, 12:30 PM
And whole lot of these esr kits have been sold with problems. read all the forums. do your home work. go oem before you buy cheap. dont take my word-read all the problems

etccb
09-17-2012, 12:45 PM
30 posts by jackbrown. The regulars here know that 90% + of that is just esr bashing. Please put your axe down and try to contribute something to the forums. In the past you sent me a pm that said that every time you read a post of mine that you were going to bash esr. Well, I guess this thread is proof of that.
Good day.

JackBrown1988
09-17-2012, 12:58 PM
I am upset that i have been lied to by esr n my money taken n not refunded by esr. read all the forums. do your home work. go oem before you buy cheap esr. to the op dont take my word or etccbs-read all the problems. u make your own mind. to etccb- i now who u r. every one here nows u are a mouth piece for esr. dont care a lick that some of us have been screwed over by esr.

etccb
09-17-2012, 01:12 PM
I don't work for esr. If you read my posts you will see that I post about lots of 250r things in the forums. You only remember my posts that you don't like. I have a much different opinion then you do and your over and over and over and over and over and over posting does not mean that each esr bash post in a thread is a new problem.

sand_blaster
09-17-2012, 02:03 PM
If you decide to go ahead & get a esr 310 quad janern, dont hesitate, mine has be reliable & produces alot of power & esr's customer service has been top notch!

bigmatt61
09-17-2012, 06:39 PM
Same here in reference to ESR.
I purchased a "310" 10 yrs ago when I built my first R. I had a local (to me), and extremely knowledgeable, engine builder put it together WITH ME so I could learn how to do it properly.
I ran the H$ll out of that motor in MX for almost 2 yrs before a loss of compression and a top end rebuild.
My suggestion is to do your research, make an educated and informed purchase but most importantly, take your time and do it right just like Neil said.

JackBrown1988
09-18-2012, 09:43 AM
4-5 years ago i had a pro-x n ran great. had an esr 6-7 years ago n ran great. come to find out my esr from 7 years ago was a pro-x. todays esr is not the esr from years ago. do your home work!

265 sleeper
09-27-2012, 12:52 AM
Hope your luck better than mine on the esr kit but if you want to build a stock cylinder big bore I don't know if I can name drop but kustom kraft did mine . Bought the kit off eBay could have saved like a hundred bucks if I would have bought it from them and they do the work from install and head work . But they didn't do this step for me which I found out later on that I should have done .
a big bore stock cylinder would need the studs incerted and a stainless steel oring cut into the sleeve to stop the head gasket from leaking and a copper head gasket would be a must . Some say you don't need that done . I've heard if people having no issue on a stock bb but I never owned one. Good luck.

solid250r
09-27-2012, 11:22 AM
Look at used oem cylinders or pro-x, sphynx bb- not esr. sold all my esr stuff. only have 1 use clutch cover left 4 sale. then done with esr.