PDA

View Full Version : LRD aluminum frame identification

hondaREX
09-14-2012, 03:48 AM
I need some help with identifying a potential LRD aluminum frame. A friend of a friend says he has one and im trying to hook up with him to see it. Not sure if it is for sale yet but im going to try very hard to get it.

So is there going to be a build number on it or any other identifying numbers? Build year? And where will the stamping be?Also, was LRD the only aluminum frame maufacturer? Id love to start a LONG term build with a frame like this. I think i remember something about a "baja" or "attitude" aluminum frame and/or maybe another type of frame. Again, im not too familiar with aftermarket frames due to the expense but always drooled at the thought!! So excuse me if im far off. What use is the aluminum frame typically for? ie:xc, woods, mx,dunes. I mostly do trails and pits but if i was to build it and it was for mx, id keep it a trailer queen, unless you all say use it for whatever. I just dont want to ruin it. Any other option to look out for like flip top subframe, pro-pegs, are LRD narrow front ends, No-link, cr5500 link, etc, etc. I dont see myself getting into a crazy frame setup due to the expense, i prefer to build off of a stock geometry frame to cut down on the expnses. But if the price is right i will get it and post it on here. And last, what should i be looking to spend if it is indeed a LRD aluminum frame? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. James

hondaREX
09-14-2012, 06:00 PM
Wow no input from anyone..... Well it got sold a little while back. Said he got $1200. He sat on it for 10 years and it was in great shape he said. Guys were kicking down his door for it. Don't think I would have jumped on it for that price. He still has a Lonestar that is setup for 400ex front suspension, 250R radiator, CR 500 link that was planned for a KTM 525 hybrid and he cut the motor mounts for $600. Not a project worth getting into.

JackBrown1988
09-14-2012, 06:23 PM
My buds lrd alum has numbers stamp on right side. looks awesome

89trx250r
09-15-2012, 05:13 PM
You will be able to tell if its an LRD right away as the diameter of the tubing used is huge like 1" 3/4 or something Google image pics and you will be able to tell between that and a normal aftermarket frame.