PDA

View Full Version : It's NOT the rev limiter (or NEKID CHICKS whatever gets your attention)

WolfMan
03-10-2003, 02:22 PM
Ok... I need a bit of everyone's "expert" advice here....

I have a K+N air filter (and jet kit)....hot cam stage 2.... I run with the airbox lid on....and I have a WB rev box...

This is on a 2002 400ex....by the way...

So now my problem... I have been running great for weeks...I have not had to touch the jetting or anything...

All of a sudden after riding for about 15 minutes on Saturday...(It was a very sloppy wet day).... my ex started pulsing like it was hitting the rev limiter (which it doesn't have anymore)...now this only is happening in neutral or if I pull in the clutch and I give it gas....I didn't notice it too bad when I was riding after that. It was still pulling strong and running rather well.....but if I reved the gas it still pulses...

So.... what in the heck happened??? By the way I don't think it is the jetting either.... I put it back in my heated garage over the weekend and it is still doing it today....

There has to be someone who has the answer to this....

brokeitin3
03-10-2003, 02:37 PM
and i might tell you :D :bandit: :D

WolfMan
03-10-2003, 02:40 PM
It's hard to think about nekid chicks when my Ex is sitting out in the garage sick. If I don't get some help soon I might have to sleep out there to make sure she doesn't get lonely in her ill condition.

What??? Am I the only guy here that is this attached to his 400???

Tommy 17
03-10-2003, 02:49 PM
u said wet conditions... is there mayb water in ur gas:confused:

where in wester pa do u live... i'm north of johnstown...

WolfMan
03-10-2003, 03:01 PM
I live all the way over in Sharon, PA.... almost in Ohio.... but I ride alot in Clarion... we have about 120 acres up there....

Anyway....I don't think it's the gas... it really isn't running bad....when I am actually riding....but it pulses really bad when I rev it with the clutch in....if it was bad gas I think it would run bad all of the time....

KandK952
03-10-2003, 03:04 PM
are you sure its not the rev limiter? cause it should do it when you are riding too, unless you dont get it all the way pinned. maybe that is why. the wb rev box doesnt completely eliminate the rev limiter, just makes it 1000 rpms higher, right? and did you check your filter to see if it was wet?

bluebaron
03-10-2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by brokeitin3
and i might tell you :D :bandit: :D wow....you better tell willy to settal down:eek2:
hahaha

03-10-2003, 04:06 PM
its deffenitly not water in the gas cuz it would do it all the time not just when in neutral or engaged clutch. I also don't think its the rev box unless u really got on it when u were reving it up cuz ive tried and ive never hit the limiter but i have a 300. I think this is a good question but i don't have the anwser. C'mon one of u guys know.:ermm:

300exazzkikr
03-10-2003, 05:35 PM
Did it do it when it was warm or cold or both? How much throttle did you give it until it started to pulse, 1/4? 1/2? 3/4? I hope your not going wide open in neutral. You may want to try this, start it up, let it warm up hold the gas at 1/4 and half and see what happens. Also if you have another stock cdi box, i would do a little switch and see if it still does it. Not too sure what's going on in there, Don't worry, i'm just as obsessed as you are, i ran out of gas once and pushed it back home..:eek2:

Newbie400ex
03-10-2003, 05:44 PM
I left my choke on a little bit and that's exactly what happened. The actual thumb lever would pulse when I got it at about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. Maybe the choke has come loose?

CoorsMan
03-10-2003, 06:49 PM
Do u still have the stock rev box? if so but it in and see what happens? if not, does one of ur friends have one switch it when he is not looking!!!

jamiesel
03-11-2003, 01:14 AM
I agree with k&k's post

nakomis0
03-11-2003, 10:18 AM
I think its either a wet or, diry air filter, .

Or I think its just a fouled plug. <-- this is what i most think it is.

WolfMan
03-14-2003, 01:28 PM
Ok.... well I have found out that it only does this when it warms up...

I have tried the stock CDI.... and I do not have a choke anymore.... (it was removed almost 8 months ago)...

All of the vent hoses are clear and the throttle is operating the carb slide correctly...

It starts to pulse around 1/2 to full throttle....

It revs almost like I keep pushing the thumb throttle about twice a second....

I am rather sure that the gas is good and it has dried in the garage for almost a week now and it is stil doing it....

The airfilter is clean also....

Any other suggestions?????? This had to have happened to someone else at least once.... come on....show me some love here....

WolfMan
03-14-2003, 01:29 PM
The plug is not fouled either....I put a new plug in as soon as this started to happen and it did not make a difference....

hondaracer31
03-15-2003, 02:03 AM
I'm not sure but I'd check all your electrical connections. If they got wet they wouldn't dry out without taking them apart and cleaning them.

We should get together to ride sometime, I'm in Emlenton, PA. Where I80 crosses the Allegheny river .

TC17
03-15-2003, 02:26 PM
i dunno what the prob is. but, i'm heading down to Wolfman's next weekend with the 400 probably. so if you want to meet down there or somethign that would be cool. what's your aim?

hondaracer31
03-15-2003, 02:47 PM
uhh...I don't have aim. PM me.

toby400ex
03-15-2003, 03:11 PM
my 300ex always did this when one of the wires on the coil came loose, it would run fine at idle and low speed, then sputter real bad when you hit the throttle