PDA

View Full Version : Thread from LTR450 section

Pittsburgh400ex
09-12-2012, 06:29 PM
Posted this first in the correct area, doesn't seem too lively over there, thought i would try here as well.

Alright guys heres the deal. A buddy has a ltr450, it was never blown up but he went into the motor anyway. Replaced everything from the crank up, running a little higher comp but racegas apparently not needed. He has 6 hours on the motor. Says it blows oil into the airbox. He needs to sell it, hes having a kid here shortly. Wants 2500 the way it sits with an extra swingarm and a few other odds and ends. The guy that rebuilt it, built my 426 and my 450 so i believe its put together correctly. He thinks its oil pumps. He replaced one of them and it fixed the problem for a while then it started again and been parked ever since.
So is it worth picking up for 2500 and going into the motor? Wont be positive on the problem till i do. Has anyone had or know of an ltr doing this?

2,500 was his first number he threw out. Known him for 20 years and i'm sure i can get him down around the 2k mark. I am aware suzuki oem and Honda oem are miles apart in price.
No, it is not a vent line running into the intake boot.

CJM
09-12-2012, 07:39 PM
Good quads, they handle super well and got great power.

Downside-the trans loses 3rd gear in them alot. Least the older ones.

id say its worth 2k.

Pittsburgh400ex
09-15-2012, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by CJM

Downside-the trans loses 3rd gear in them alot. Least the older ones.

id say its worth 2k.

I've read and heard of that as well. There is a shiftpin update for it, not sure on the price though. Thinknig about picking it up soon, should i just changeout the problem pins and be done with it? Last thing i want is to be 40 miles in the mountains and lose a gear.

CJM
09-15-2012, 03:00 PM
You do get it Id change them out.

pitdawg
09-17-2012, 08:24 AM
I sold one of my suzukis and parting my race zuk out, picked up a Honda bout a month ago.... Would never go back to a zuk, nothing but problems, the transmissions are TERRIBLE!

K-Dub
09-17-2012, 08:22 PM
06/07 shift pin problems. 08/09 3rd gear is junk. Lost creek cycles has a third gear fix but it is around $1300 for 3 new gears and out put shaft. So far this seems to bee the fix. I in the first stages of trying a real fix, 450R engine in the LTR frame. The LTR is the closest 450 I can find that handles anything like my Roll Design Lobo and that is why I bought the LTR to start with. Now finding out first hand the tranny is not reliable and cost double to rebuild as the 450R engine.

Pittsburgh400ex
09-22-2012, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the info and opinions. Decided to pass on this thing for the time being.

And furthermore... i have a wife and 5 other quads at the moment. Ifi get this i'll have 6 quads and 0 wives, lol.