PDA

View Full Version : axle anti fade nut

robinson446
09-12-2012, 05:09 PM
why is my anti fade nut loosening up after every race , im almost standing on it to tighten it
and taping it? any help?

d3ktrix
09-12-2012, 08:16 PM
What brand is it?

Has it always done it? Or just started?

I noticed they seem to come loose more when the carrier bearings start to go bad.
Make sure the threads are clean, no sand or old thread locker.

desratt
09-15-2012, 04:41 PM
do NOT over tighten you are ruining the bearings in the carrier.

fomospede
09-16-2012, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by desratt
do NOT over tighten you are ruining the bearings in the carrier.
im thinking you are talking about taper style bearings?

desratt
09-16-2012, 04:31 PM
Nope. I am talking all the anti fade with it's threads has a huge mechanical advantage when tightened and pushes on the side of the bearing squishing it and causing it to wear alot faster. These bearings are not thrust bearings.

fomospede
09-16-2012, 05:15 PM
hmm
i guess you could damage them by smashing the tube inside the carrier that sits between the bearings inner race but i tighten the living sh@t out of mine with 30'' adjustable wrench's and put red loctite on the threads
been doing it that way for years and have yet to damage a bearing
how does the antifade give a mechanical advantage
over stock
my stock one performs flawless

desratt
09-16-2012, 05:19 PM
You can cause the same damage with a stock one.

eastside 400
09-16-2012, 06:57 PM
there is no need to crank the anti fades crazy tight...the stock locknuts suck, if you are stuck using a stock one then wrap it with electrical tape the opposite direction of loosening it, it will hold the nut from spinning. If you can afford an aftermarket locknut then get one, makes working on the rear end way easier

CJM
09-16-2012, 09:58 PM
I NEVER had one loosen on me. I use the tusk/gforce rmatv wrenches. Slap a breaker bar on them and your done in 5 mins.

Infact once they were so tight I had to take a torch to get them loose.