PDA

View Full Version : ltr450 questions/opinions

Pittsburgh400ex
09-12-2012, 07:48 AM
Alright guys heres the deal. A buddy has a ltr450, it was never blown up but he went into the motor anyway. Replaced everything from the crank up, running a little higher comp but racegas apparently not needed. He has 6 hours on the motor. Says it blows oil into the airbox. He needs to sell it, hes having a kid here shortly. Wants 2500 the way it sits with an extra swingarm and a few other odds and ends. The guy the rebuilt it, built my 426 and my 450 so i believe its put together correctly. He thinks its oil pumps. He replaced one if them and it fixed the problem for a whike then it started again and been parked ever since.
So is it worth picking up for 2500 and going into the motor? Wont be positive on the problem till i do. Has anyone had or know of an ltr doing this? Please only.post if you are educated on ltrs, i am not.

tg413
11-01-2012, 08:19 AM
Here is what i come up with from experience...
Ltr will do that when they have a broken ring , likely the top ring "if" one is bad.............
also when a top end is worn out it will create crank pressure and blow oil out the vent line..................
One other thing from your description is it sounds like the oil pumps are getting clogged somehow, you said he replaced the pump and it went away for a while?Pull off the cover and inspect the plastic oil pump gear , if its bad replace it, if it's fine then that's another can of worms..Cases would have to be split to check for anything clogging up the oil passages.either way it sounds like at the very minimum the top end needs to come back off and be checked out for a ring and then go from there....

at $2500 then whatever needs to be fixed it's not sounding like that great of a deal right now..

Pittsburgh400ex
11-05-2012, 02:43 PM
Yea i decided to pass on it a while ago. #1 dont know exactly whatw wrong #2 compared to my hondas, suzuki seems to be nearly twice the cost on everything. Didnt realize that till i started browsing oem parts.

nkillian9
12-04-2012, 09:59 AM
ive seen high compression motors blow by pretty bad until rings got seated js then run clean for months on end