PDA

View Full Version : Help!

B.C.#11TRX400EX
09-11-2012, 01:48 PM
on my 2008 450ER, the transmission oil drain bolt is stripped out, so what do u guys think ill have to do? why is the bolt so long? can i just make threads on the outside where it first enters the case and put a shorter bolt in? i really dont want to split my cases for a stripped bolt.

eastside 400
09-11-2012, 02:13 PM
the bolt needs to thread into the right side center case, thats why it is so long. You can try to tap the old threads but i doubt you will get a tap in that far. Or try a new bolt if the old one is messed up. if that doesnt work then the cases need to be split to have a time-sert installed

B.C.#11TRX400EX
09-11-2012, 02:37 PM
Theres plenty of bolts pulling the cases together so I dont see why it'd have to be goin into the right case, I dont think that putting threads on the left case and a bolt would hurt anythin its still gettin all the oil it needs, its all in the same place as originaly, just a smaller bolt

DnB_racing
09-11-2012, 03:32 PM
you already have the motor out, split the case, it takes only a few minutes more then doing the way your talking about, then its done right, besides what if you screw something up, now you have 2 bad cases instead of just the one original side...

sometimes you cause more problems trying to take shortcuts instead of just doing it right the first time..

do your quad a favor and do it right,

or maybe your next post will be"I broke my case trying to take a short cut"

there is a reason Honda used a long bolt, there are improvements that can be made on our motors, and this isn't one of them:macho

but its your call, Me, I say do it right the first time!
but maybe you like spending more time and money working on your quad then you need to, I would rather spend extra money on something nice like shocks or a-arms, but were all different..

I guess you get my point LOL!!good luck either way:)

Balaz_73*00
09-11-2012, 03:36 PM
That hole below the shift drum is what the long bolt plugs. That is the only open hole to the other side of the case....

B.C.#11TRX400EX
09-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Im goin to school for mechanics, I have every tool I need, I dont have the money to buy a complete gasket kit, im a high school kid and my job dont pay that well so i cant really afford it, my teacher and me think this might work

DnB_racing
09-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by B.C.#11TRX400EX
Im goin to school for mechanics, I have every tool I need, I dont have the money to buy a complete gasket kit, im a high school kid and my job dont pay that well so i cant really afford it, my teacher and me think this might work this is exactly why you should do it right the first time

but if you have your mind made up then......

without having a case in front of me to look at, the thing that has my doubt, is the point were your going to tap, does it have enough metal to accommodate threads and still have enough meat left to keep it from completely blowing out??

Balaz, do you have cases apart right now? if so could you look at the thickness were he wants to tap and see if its enough metal...

that will be the deciding factor if it will work or not,

if you do tap use a very fine thread

B.C.#11TRX400EX
09-11-2012, 04:58 PM
Im doin the work but my teacher is there to help, all I did is take the motor out of the frame, I dont want to split it if I dont have to

Balaz_73*00
09-11-2012, 09:37 PM
No longer apart, this was an old pic I had. I cant recall how thick the area he wants to tap is.

B.C.#11TRX400EX
09-11-2012, 09:49 PM
Its bout as thick as the hole up to the right of the drain bolt in my pic, I tapping it on that side right where it first enters, that's wat me n my teacher thought

CJM
09-11-2012, 10:09 PM
Since the bolt only threads so far in, heres what I would do:

Get a tap the correct size-IF you think theres enough meat in there. Personally I would try and find yourself a 1/4" tap. All of the bolts are 6mm if I recall. Usually the 6mm threads just dont have enough meat left when this sorta thing happens.

HOWEVER I would try a 6mm first just to be sure.

So how do you tap it? You need an extension for the tap.

All of this is actually pretty hard to do if you dont know what your doing. Splitting the cases and fixing it right would be a better idea.

eastside 400
09-12-2012, 01:35 PM
the only thing im not sure of, if you tap the left case and use a small bolt then the hole in the right side case wont be plugged. this could cause oil delivery issues

Balaz_73*00
09-12-2012, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by eastside 400
the only thing im not sure of, if you tap the left case and use a small bolt then the hole in the right side case wont be plugged. this could cause oil delivery issues

My point exacly in posting that pic.

DnB_racing
09-12-2012, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Balaz_73*00
My point exacly in posting that pic. I dont think that will be an issue????

from looking at pics it seams like its just a hollow chase from one side through the cases to the transmission sump,

it could be a chance of sediment settling in the empty hole,were the longer bolt used to be

if so it might take inserting a small pick or screw driver to get the old oil to start to drain

fomospede
09-12-2012, 04:05 PM
this happened to me
and actually you can use a longer bolt and tap the existing hole deeper its been good for over a yr and a half of use

CJM
09-12-2012, 04:50 PM
But how does one get that tap that deep without some sort of extender?

fomospede
09-13-2012, 04:56 PM
extended taps are available ! less than 20$ for an 8'' long
although my engine was apart
im sure it can be done together with the right case off to clean and watch how deep your running the tap

cooterwrenchen
09-15-2012, 10:02 AM
jeez people do this all the time over on pirate. They ask for advice from people with experience and know-how but they've already made up there mind.

Go get a harbor freight tap, weld up a T handle as long as you need. bam you have a custom tap fer ten bucks.

obviously test it before you go torque'n on it in the case.