PDA

View Full Version : 2000 400ex Q's. and possible future build thread

cooterwrenchen
09-11-2012, 01:27 PM
Hello everybody. I have a 2000 400ex. It is stock except for a new muffler, and k&n air filter. I just got it, I paid $2000, I know that's a lot but the thing has approx 30 hrs on it. It doesn't have a single scratch on it or under it, this thing is cherry. Was it worth it I don't know you tell me, but its like buying a new bike for 2k. Plus it came with 2 riding bags full of gear.

Anyway when i told my buddy i was getting it he said " aren't those kinda pinner"
he has a troy lee polaris pred 500. so now I have a challange. I wanna wipe the concrete "dirt" with him.lol. so my Q's are as follows.

I ride some kinda tight trails but mostly bomb old logging roads, and some sand.

#1 Is the stage 4 elko long travel +2 kit worth the $2500?
Id also need a wider rear axle

#2 should I go stroker, or just big bore?

#3 what cam? i want some low end but up high is good too the new stage 2 hot cam sounds good.

#4 honda 450r carb? plus rejetting of course. Good idea?

#5 should i upgrade the clutch right away or burn it up first?

After all these upgrade we are talking close to 7k including the bike.
Is it worth it? I know I wouldn't get my money back if I ever sold it but I don't plan on doing that so I don't know. for $8500 i could get a 2012 450r

I have the bike. So should i leave i stock and get used 450r or upgrade what I have? help please! Am I asking the right questions? Thank-you ahead of time for your input. All is welcome.

p.s. I have all the tools i need thanks to the snap on guy and my damn perpetual tab lol.

CJM
09-11-2012, 01:56 PM
1. Depends-do you race or you just gonna ride around the woods? If you race then yea Id do + arms and shocks. Id not bother with elkas as that setup is $$$. You can buy an entire setup used in the classifieds here for less.

2. Do a 407 with a 11:1 hi comp piston. Stroker requires alot of work and a 440 really isnt an insane power maker unless you do a hi comp setup. Beware, you should use heavy duty head studs if you intend to make the motor last. These things dont like to be hot, the exhaust side head studs heat up and pull out.

3. Stage II hotcam is the best cam

4. Do it. Make sure you do it right as well

5. Id wait on the clutch. I used the stock setup for years with no issues. Only upgraded cause I felt like it.

In all honesty if your looking to make arm ripping power the EX isnt for you-buy a 450. If you want a stupid simple woods rider that can make some decent power then the EX is worth it.

cooterwrenchen
09-11-2012, 02:19 PM
not racing and thank you. ya i know about the studs i forgot to mention i was going to do that to