PDA

View Full Version : 2002 smoking like a 2 stroke!! Help

motox92
09-10-2012, 07:01 PM
Well guys I picked up a 2002 426ex

The clutch cable was broken, so the guy started it for a second I heard it run so beautiful I bought it.

Now the not so beautiful, got a new clutch cable started it up, headed down the yard and it looks like freight train of blue smoke, also I noticed the base gasket leaking oil, a steady stream almost.

So, I pulled the head and ready to pull the cylinder the 4 bolts under the head gasket 2 were loose, 2 were tight, the 2 loose ones were on the side that was leaking, so tightened em all up put it all back together hoping it might have stopped the blue smoke also well it didn't, now I have no proof that it has a 426 bore in it, but I can say FOR SURE someone's been in the motor before, I can see RTV on the side cases..etc

So what would be my next step? Get a new stock cylinder and piston and call it a day?

Could valve seals do it? Or would they just leak slowly and give me an occasional puff of smoke?

Sorry for the long post but I need help!

CJM
09-10-2012, 07:06 PM
Smoking like that means the bores shot.

I would inspect the entire topend as well as the rest of the quad to ensure nothing is a miss. RTV on cases and loose bolts are a dead give away something is not right at all.

If it were me I would make sure the topend is good and put a new sleeve in there with a stock size 85mm hi comp 11:1 piston and a stage 2 hotcam.

motox92
09-10-2012, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Smoking like that means the bores shot.

I would inspect the entire topend as well as the rest of the quad to ensure nothing is a miss. RTV on cases and loose bolts are a dead give away something is not right at all.

If it were me I would make sure the topend is good and put a new sleeve in there with a stock size 85mm hi comp 11:1 piston and a stage 2 hotcam.

Well, here's the deal...I bought this quad for my fiancé to learn clutch on, once she gets the hang of it I'll upgrade it for her so for me to dump huge $ into isn't worth it for me.

I paid 600$ for it, it runs, drives, has extended a arms, an exhaust, new plastics...etc

Could I just (instead of sleeving) this one, get a new/used stock bore cylinder with a new piston and throw it on there? Honestly the smoke doesn't bother me..just when it comes time to sell its goin to be a PITA to sell with that,

Another question, could I get a bead hone try to hone it a hair and try to make the rings reseat?

If it is a 426, what would the bore size be measuring with a micrometer

xcracer416
09-10-2012, 07:26 PM
88mm i think is a 426, and an 87 is a 416. If it were me in your situation and the investment youve made would be to go the stock cylinder or sleeve route and make sure the cylinder and piston match up good enough to ride for alittle while and resell.

motox92
09-10-2012, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by xcracer416
88mm i think is a 426, and an 87 is a 416. If it were me in your situation and the investment youve made would be to go the stock cylinder or sleeve route and make sure the cylinder and piston match up good enough to ride for alittle while and resell.

When I get around to it then I'll measure the cylinder and see what size it is. Then go from there. Thanks!

CJM
09-10-2012, 07:59 PM
Problem is if its blowing that much smoke your gonna possibly run it out of oil and then its a giant paper weight.

If you can do the work yourself a new sleeve is cheap and just put it in.

LA sleeve is like 80 bucks on ebay and a piston is like 100. All you would need otherwise is gaskets.

motox92
09-11-2012, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Problem is if its blowing that much smoke your gonna possibly run it out of oil and then its a giant paper weight.

If you can do the work yourself a new sleeve is cheap and just put it in.

LA sleeve is like 80 bucks on ebay and a piston is like 100. All you would need otherwise is gaskets.

I can easily do all the work myself, doesn't the new sleeve have to be pressed in?

Pittsburgh400ex
09-11-2012, 04:59 AM
Leakjng the way you say it does, i woukd just start over. You said its for.your woman to learn on, then uograde afterwards. I'd put it back to stock form completely. New cylinder, piston and if needed, head. Could deck the head and use 2 gaskets to lower the.compression back down. Then you have all new components for relitively.cheap, and i fresh motor to start your upgrades on after she is ready.
This is just.my opinion and what i woukd do
It is your motor!

CJM
09-11-2012, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by motox92
I can easily do all the work myself, doesn't the new sleeve have to be pressed in?

Nope.

Heat the cylinder in the oven and freeze the cylinder sleeve in the freezer. The cylinders sleeve will fall right out. Then reheat the cylinder for a bit and put your frozen sleeve in there. It will fall right into place.

jman7290
09-11-2012, 11:36 AM
Don't forget to put some Franks Red Hot on the cylinder, that sh#% tastes good on everything!!!