PDA

View Full Version : Blingstar Dual Sprocket Guard

Stickman400
09-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Anyone have one of these? What's your thoughts? I'm thinking of getting one for some extra protecton since my Walsh swinger doesn't have mounts for a skid. I'm also wondering if you can use these with a LT setup. Will it hit the frame since it sticks up and out so far?

Scro
09-10-2012, 12:25 PM
There are lots of versions out there from different companies. They are very common in the XC world. You shouldn't have any problem with clearance issues.

Stickman400
09-10-2012, 10:05 PM
Alright, thanks. I've looked at all the other brands, Traxx, GT Thunder, LSR, they all look about the same except for what they are made of and how they mount (1 or 2 piece). I think I'm gunna go with the Blingstars just for looks and weight. My 450s only ever gunna see a track or dunes so I shouldn't need steel.

Stickman400
09-22-2012, 01:16 PM
Alright well I bought one of these and am trying to install it but having an issue. The head of the bolts on the sprocket guard are hitting the carrier and its stopping the axle from turning. I thought maybe the carrier needed shaved alittle since it was kinda mangled from prying on the chain adjuster holes, but I shaved them down smooth and it still hits. Has anyone installed one of these and had a similar problem? I have a couple pics of where it's hitting to try and help.

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv192/Stickman400/Quad%20Pics/IMAG0677_zps80ca5a3e.jpg
http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv192/Stickman400/Quad%20Pics/IMAG0676_zpsdd9e43f8.jpg

Stickman400
09-22-2012, 01:43 PM
Well I found this over on the .ORG http://www.trx450r.org/forum/94-suspension-chassis-drivetrain/181429-blingstar-sprocket-guard-install.html He said he just ground the carrier area smooth like I did and then ground the heads of the bolts down. I was hoping to not do that but I guess I'm gunna have to.

punk rock kiel
09-22-2012, 02:02 PM
id grind the bolts down a little. blingstar prolly made them when the carrier was in the prime location where it didnt hit....

fomospede
09-22-2012, 02:55 PM
possibly there carrier is what its suppose to fit
almost everything aftermarket isnt a direct bolton as im sure you know!!!!!.u

Stickman400
09-22-2012, 08:08 PM
Well I ground all the bolts down and they clear, but now the actual guard is rubbing the carrier. So I guess now I'm gunna have to grind the guard......:rolleyes:

punk rock kiel
09-23-2012, 08:05 AM
this is exactly why i didnt get the blingstar one. i went with the lonestar and a tm design chain guide to keep the chain from popping off. but if the chain pops off and it has before the chain guide, it falls onto the swinger and doesnt allow enough to wad into the case

400eXz
09-23-2012, 06:46 PM
Do not buy anything that says blingstar! Look in the yfz forum and you'll see why.

ride red 14
09-23-2012, 07:11 PM
X2 blingstar. check out the other sites. i will not buy from them ever.

Stickman400
09-23-2012, 09:48 PM
Are you guys talking about the Susan Parker ordeal? I don't really care about that whole fiasco. They make nice products and everything I have bought from them looks and performs great so i will continue to use them until they don't.

Anyway back to the original problem. I went out and ground the guard down and now it clears but then I went to bolt it all back together and now the bolts rub again. So I gotta take them back out an grind on them some more. It's also a pita to get the master link back in there since the inside guard is in the way.

Tommy Warren
09-24-2012, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Stickman400
Are you guys talking about the Susan Parker ordeal? I don't really care about that whole fiasco. They make nice products and everything I have bought from them looks and performs great so i will continue to use them until they don't.

Anyway back to the original problem. I went out and ground the guard down and now it clears but then I went to bolt it all back together and now the bolts rub again. So I gotta take them back out an grind on them some more. It's also a pita to get the master link back in there since the inside guard is in the way.

just keep grinding... my axle bearing just went out...it caused the sprocket guard to grind 1/8th of an inch out of the swinger... time to put the houser on...

Stickman400
09-24-2012, 11:00 PM
Yea, I went out after I got off work and ground on the bolts alittle more and it clears now, barely. I got it all back together and it looks great. Then after I went up front I started thinking about if the bearings went out too. I don't think there is any way it's gunna dig into my swinger, but it will dig into my carrier and I hope it digs a groove and doesn't stop me dead in my tracks when it happens.... But I only ride it on dry mx tracks and sand dunes so water shouldn't get in there to ruin the bearings very quick so I should be good to go for awhile.

AtvKid4Eva
09-25-2012, 07:40 AM
so how do they make a quality product if it doesnt fit without hacking it up? What ended up being the reason for that?

Scro
09-25-2012, 08:28 AM
Alot of the dual sprocket guards were designed to be used with a stock bearing carrier.

Stickman400
09-25-2012, 10:35 AM
Yea, that's what I'm thinking. I got to looking at my 400s stock carrier and it would have easily cleared it. It was deff. made to clear the stock carrier and unfortunately not an aftermarket one without some modification.

punk rock kiel
09-25-2012, 06:53 PM
the stock carrier is bigger than aftermarket ones at the adjustment area where hes having trouble.

i dont think if you spin the carrier that it will clear any other way like maybe you got too many or too little links in your chain.

i really had a hard time believing they were gonna work without modding something.

Tommy Warren
09-26-2012, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by punk rock kiel
the stock carrier is bigger than aftermarket ones at the adjustment area where hes having trouble.

i dont think if you spin the carrier that it will clear any other way like maybe you got too many or too little links in your chain.

i really had a hard time believing they were gonna work without modding something.
my carrier is stock and I had to mod it to fit... just not as much as the guys with the aftermarket carriers

Stickman400
09-27-2012, 11:27 PM
Ok, now I have another question. I have a Walsh Savior style swinger that has it's own unique chain guide (seen here (http://www.walshracecraft.com/images/trx450r-swingarm-linkage-savior-r.JPG)) which won't clear the guards. So now I need a guide or atleast a slider of some kind because my chain jumps around alot. What do you guys recommend? I looked at T.M. Designworks guides but I don't think they will work. Maybe I should try and chop up the walsh one I have? Ideas?

Stickman400
09-30-2012, 12:15 AM
Anybody else on here running a Savior swinger? And if so are you running any kind of protection like a sprocket guard or anything? I like to ride my 450 on trails sometimes just because it's so snappy, but I also have a 400 that it's built to the hilt and is a perfect trail machine so if I have to I may just use the 450 only for race tracks and dunes.

quad2xtreme
09-30-2012, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Stickman400
Ok, now I have another question. I have a Walsh Savior style swinger that has it's own unique chain guide (seen here (http://www.walshracecraft.com/images/trx450r-swingarm-linkage-savior-r.JPG)) which won't clear the guards. So now I need a guide or atleast a slider of some kind because my chain jumps around alot. What do you guys recommend? I looked at T.M. Designworks guides but I don't think they will work. Maybe I should try and chop up the walsh one I have? Ideas?

hacksaw to cut off the portion that is hitting against the sprocket guards.

If you get the Blingstar rotor guard, it will fit tight and be great early on but then it will wear against the carrier and get sloppy. Not even sure if it is the carrier wearing, the rotor guard, or both. I am going back to Lonestar stainless steel rotor guards on all my quads.

Stickman400
09-30-2012, 08:27 PM
I may go with an LSR too. I was wanting a dual sprocket guard, but will it make that big of a difference? I'm now also wondering if I could just use the outter guard and not the inner guard to make the blingstar a single. That way I wouldn't have to worry about clearance issues. The only problem I can see is finding longer countersunk bolts to use.

quad2xtreme
10-01-2012, 05:41 AM
RPM has longer bolts...just make sure you get the correct threading.

Stickman400
10-01-2012, 12:31 PM
Alright thanks!

punk rock kiel
10-01-2012, 03:55 PM
the lonestar one is nice but its not thick enough. i have already bent mine but i ride pretty much rocks but it works good. just get a tm design chain slider.

the lonestar rotor guard starts off with alot of clearance and bends to fit it best then.

Stickman400
10-01-2012, 07:02 PM
Ok well I went out today and took off the inside guard from the sprocket guard and then chopped the extra metal off the walsh chain guide and made it so it cleared the outter guard. I went down to my local fastenal and got some longer than stock coutersunk flat headed bolts and ny-lock nuts to replace the ones on it. It turned out really good actually, looks great. Atleast now I'll have some peace of mind and not have to worry about it chewing into my carrier when my bearings go out. Here's some pictures.

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv192/Stickman400/Quad%20Pics/IMAG0680.jpg
http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv192/Stickman400/Quad%20Pics/IMAG0682.jpg
http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv192/Stickman400/Quad%20Pics/IMAG0681-1.jpg

CJM
10-01-2012, 07:17 PM
Looks good. hell of alot of work tho.

I was considering doing the same rotor/sprocket guard setup that so many makers offer-but you can still damage the swingarm and such in many cases unless your at the track.

I like how they did it on this build. Cut PRM skid and TM designworks cut guide. Course its setup for what I need-desert/dune (and to a lesser extent woods) riding.

Report back on how your setup goes first time out stick!

Stickman400
10-01-2012, 07:33 PM
I went to a Supermoto style track saturday with the dual guards and no guide and it worked pretty good. Chain was quiet and didn't come off or get loose or anything, but it was just a flat hard packed dirt track with a few small tables and doubles. I'll report back after I give it a good run in some local trails.

Here's a picture from that night

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv192/Stickman400/Quad%20Pics/imgp4539zx.jpg

CJM
10-01-2012, 07:45 PM
Oops forgot the link: http://www.dirtfirstracing.com/

How was the supermoto, very fast paced ill bet?

Stickman400
10-01-2012, 08:39 PM
It was a very small track and was design by and for pitbike racers, but it was pretty fast paced yeah. The main had 18 quads in it and it was such a small track it was hairy at times. The race was half on the front straight of a dirt sprint car track and then the jumps were right on the front of the infield. I drew a 46 for the heat races and that put me in the last heat all the way against the wall and the first turn was a hairpin left hander, so I got screwed and had to let the whole field get in front of me because there was no way I was gunna beat everyone else to the turn. I managed to pass 3 people before the finish and got 4th which was enough to put me in the B main. The top 2 from the B main advanced to the A main. So I rode my *** off and got 1st in the B main and had arm pump like a mother effer and only had ~10 minutes to rest between the B main and the A main which made it worse. Plus they put the 2 that won the B main dead last in the field of 18 people for the A main. So we both had major arm pump and had to run through the entire field which was fully rested just to get any money. It was setup up completely backasswards but it was fun. I also rode damn nearly the entire A main on a flat right rear tire which I didn't even notice. Thank god I had beadlocks or it would have flew off during the race.

CJM
10-01-2012, 08:47 PM
^ sounds like one heck of a time! But you had fun right?

Stickman400
10-01-2012, 10:20 PM
Oh yea, it was deff. fun. I wish I would have drew a better number to go straight into the A main instead of wasting my time and energy in the B main. It was also $30 to get in and race which I thought was alittle steep, but they did payout $300 to the quad A class winner and $150 to the pitbike winner, then the top 10 of both classes got some money too.

Stickman400
10-01-2012, 10:23 PM
I would have had a video of everything but my GoPro started freezing up and wouldn't turn on in the staging area.

Hondaman88
10-07-2012, 10:12 PM
dont buy blingstar, company is a joke and products break super easily

Tommy Warren
10-16-2012, 07:01 PM
I'll try to post pics of my blingstar Piece of chit in the next couple of days...... if you buy one buy new axle bearings for sure....and not "all balls"

Stickman400
10-16-2012, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
I'll try to post pics of my blingstar Piece of chit in the next couple of days...... if you buy one buy new axle bearings for sure....and not "all balls" I don't know if you are talking to me or Hondaman but I already installed this a few weeks ago and turned it into a single sided guard if you didn't see my other posts on page 3. I also checked my bearings while I had it apart and they were fine. Rolled smooth and had no play in them at all.