PDA

View Full Version : Raptor Questions...01 tranny prob

4Wheels
03-10-2003, 11:15 AM
What does it feal like when the raptor tranny goes.
How much does it cost to get it fixed.
Asking for a friend thanks?
Jz

Guy400
03-10-2003, 03:15 PM
You'll get false neutrals at first. You shift from 1st to 2nd only to find neutral instead. You think you just accidentally didn't pick up hard enough with your foot but it will become more frequent. You'll then start to notice that when you're shifting into 2nd that it will grind going into gear. Then when you're in 2nd and you're hard on the throttle it will start to pop out of gear on it's own. From there you'll be in 2nd gear going balls-to-the-walls when it decides to just lock up and throw you over the bars. Not only will you get the joy of swan-diving over the bars at 30mph but your grenaded tranny will send metal pieces through the plastic oil pump gear trashing it and could likely spread metal up into the top end where a host of problems could occur.

This is info from a former (and a bit bitter) 2001 Raptor owner. I really liked the quad but am upset with Yamaha's handling of the situation. Although my Raptor never gave me a bit of problems and my uncle owns it today without an issue either, it's still too bad that Yammy refuses to accept blame for an obvious engineering snafu.

lex luger
03-10-2003, 05:38 PM
too lazy to read what you replyed with, but, i think the 2001's had a recall from the factory on the second gear problem...

4Wheels
03-10-2003, 06:06 PM
HOW MUCH IT COST TO FIX?

lex luger
03-10-2003, 06:45 PM
shouldt cost nothing, if it does, not much...you do your work right?

BlazingYamahaYz
03-10-2003, 08:27 PM
hmm...i was out ridding bens 250X the other day, and i kept shifting(or trying to) into second, but i got neutral instead...i was like WTF and then shifted up harder and it went into second...he also said(ben) that he could feel it bogging for some reason, when it used to do fine in the snow:huh ....i am happy tho, cuz my Yz, like last month, i would pull in the clutch and try to kick it and it acted like it was engaged in gear:huh but i think the oil was too thick or cold from not running it....w/e, now my bike runs and im selling it in May 2003....then i might do a "Twin Pack" deal on 2 400ex's, 2 Snell approved helmets, 2 pairs of gloves, 2 things of oil, 2 spark plugs, and a trailer.....all for $30* a month for two years, using their Honda Card......*im sure ben didnt tell me all the right info, so thats just a maybe*....otherwise i will be looking for a honda TRX400EX of my own after summer......i plan to make between $2000-$3000, plus money from my bike = about $1000, so about $3000-$4000 for a quad and a pickup truck:devil

Adrenalinerush
03-18-2003, 09:33 AM
i own a 01 raptor and i lost 2nd gear. i didn't get thrown over the bars and it didn't grind. i just lost it. i didn't bother i just bought all new 02 gears and put them in it. now it is running fine and has no problems 600$ from alba

MX_Racer_20
03-22-2003, 06:40 AM
When second gear went out on mine i took it to a local shop and got the 02 gears, port & polish, new rings, new valves, new cam chain, and new swing arm bearings put in mine and it all cost me a little over $1200.

Adrenalinerush
03-24-2003, 09:48 AM
does any one know any hting about the one way bering falier on the raptors

jay's 300
03-24-2003, 10:22 AM
If you are talking about the starter clutch. My friend is getting ready to put his 3rd or 4th one in his '02. If it isn't free spinning when trying to start it makes a clunking sound. Sound real bad and takes forever to get it started. :D

Adrenalinerush
03-24-2003, 12:18 PM
the starter cluth just free spins . no clunking no nothing just free spinning what does that mean? is it the one-way?

jay's 300
03-24-2003, 12:28 PM
From what I've learned from his, yes it's the one-way. Only when it tries to engage does it start clunking and sounding like it's getting ready to throw gears out. If yours just free spins, then I would guess it's completely shot. Where as, his does try to engage every now and then. :D

Adrenalinerush
03-24-2003, 12:31 PM
ya mined did that before this happened

deathman53
03-24-2003, 01:03 PM
I know a person with a 01, he had the tranny start to giv ehim problems, got a 02 tranny installed, port/polish, big bore, exhaust, etc. It hauls. Yamaha never issued a recall on the 01, atleast not in 2002. He is on his fifth one way, he had a custom gear made and it has been working great. It cost him like $300 for the custom part. If you guys are blowing through them, ***** at yamaha, those one-ways aren't cheap. He will never buy another yamaha, and he was a diehad fan of them.

jay's 300
03-24-2003, 01:07 PM
You could try putting it in gear and rocking it back and forth. It moves the bearing a little bit and may help it kick in. Atleast that's what he has to do. If that doesn't work, then it' needs repalced. Good Luck! :D