PDA

View Full Version : Interesting tie rod end problem

CJM
09-09-2012, 08:00 PM
I tightened the spindle side TRE SNUG today before I rode, I tightened it the last time I went to. It wont stay snug, I tightened again after riding awhile. Im going with it being bad so I got new ones.

I also noticed the 400ex has I believe 17mm TRE nuts that bolt onto spindles but the R has 14mm TRE nuts.

But perplexing as it is, I wonder why it wont stay tight.. Joint seems fine.

etondaddy
09-10-2012, 08:49 AM
I went with after market loc nuts from McMaster-Carr and have never had another loose tie-rod since...... Just put 4 new ones on Kyle's 450 this week end when we but the front end on.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/2012-09-08192924.jpg

Mike Kozura

AtvKid4Eva
09-10-2012, 09:13 AM
ive never has a stock one come loose. Only thing i could think is minor play in the TRE end causing some play while you ride which is loosening up the nut. wierd.

etondaddy
09-10-2012, 09:14 AM
I had one on the 300 do that......but not since I went with new loc-nuts....and it fixed the 300

Mike Kozuta

eastside 400
09-10-2012, 10:43 AM
ive had the stock nuts loosen up all the time, like stated before, just go to the hardware store and buy ny-loc nuts for it.

etondaddy
09-10-2012, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by eastside 400
ive had the stock nuts loosen up all the time, like stated before, just go to the hardware store and buy ny-loc nuts for it.
yep yep...what he said. Of course Lowes were out of them...I swear I pull the drawer open and I can bet the empty hole is the one I need....lol. I needed some other sh*t so I just ordered them from McMaster-Carr..... I think there 10mm and I forget the pitch there fine thread 1.0 or 1.25....I think.....????

CJM
09-10-2012, 04:45 PM
I just redid both sides. I remember on my 400EX I had the same issue and put a washer before the stock nuts as to increase the pressure on the cotter pin. I never had an issue after that.

So I threw some washer on there, some blue loctite for shiggles and zapped them on with my half inch snap on cordless impact. They aint coming loose again.

I did buy a new set (one side) just for the heck of it tho. One of the boots is torn a bit so I RTV'd it. Its only a matter of time.

I think Im going to do nylock nuts or buy some actual castle nuts (like they freaking should be!) in due time.

thanks guys.

eastside 400
09-10-2012, 06:08 PM
be careful, you dont wanna over tighten them because is can stress the stud of the tie rod end and cause a break

CJM
09-10-2012, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by eastside 400
be careful, you dont wanna over tighten them because is can stress the stud of the tie rod end and cause a break

Noted. Im positive I didnt over tighten them. One good hit with the impact is all I did.

FWIW Its also not an insane impact, maybe 500ft-lbs if I slam it home.

D Bergstrom
09-10-2012, 08:05 PM
I go to the local hardware store and get "wavey" lock washers. (I have no idea the actual name, but they are a thin washer that has a slight arc to them.) I use them under the nut on all my tie rods ends. I also always use blue loctite and get the nuts as tight as I can with two 14 mm wrenches. I never have problems with tie rods coming loose.

Doug

2001400exrida
09-18-2012, 09:00 AM
I had this happen on my 450. the tie rods weren't even on the ball joint for example when my wheels were straight, on ball joing would be turned all the way while the other was straight on the ball.

found that my tie rod nut had come loose.

CJM
09-18-2012, 11:40 AM
I think I did solve the problem as they didnt loosen up last time I went out.

I took a 1/8 thick washer and put it before the nut. Then I put a small bit of blue loctite on and then the nut. They seemed fine. The washer shimmed the nut up enough to make the nut push into the cotter pin better as well.

The real issue is why they used nuts and not castle nuts. A castle nut uses the cotter pin to lock it in place, regular nuts dont have that and thus they loosen up easier.