PDA

View Full Version : Good to ride with leaky head gasket?

400exwhipper
09-06-2012, 08:44 PM
My buddy just picked up a 400 for 800 bucks it was rebuilt but is stock compression and the head gasket wasn't replaced so Im thinkin that's why it leaks, it still runs great I just want to know of it's gonna be alright for a day of riding

CJM
09-06-2012, 08:45 PM
I wouldnt until you repair it.

400exwhipper
09-06-2012, 08:51 PM
It seems to run perfect though? I'm not saying mad hard riding for weeks, Mabey 2 cruises max before I fix it for him, he's excited to ride, has only owned a big bear 250 and he rode my 400 for a day and wanted one bad so he's dyin to ride, if anyone can tell me a legit reason not to ride it we won't but you can imagine the dude wants to go riding, bad.

xtreme762
09-06-2012, 08:53 PM
The most I can see being a problem is burning oil. But if it were me, I would park it till it gets repaired. I've seen blown head gaskets, blow motors up so bad they weren't repairable. Cracked heads and all kinds of other stuff.

Head gasket cost what, $10 at most? A new/used motor cost at a minimum $500.

400exwhipper
09-06-2012, 09:33 PM
But it doesn't even burn oil! Runs tip top otherwise, I just don't see any way it could blow the motor, other than going lean but it isn't lean and doesn't pop at all, I just don't wanna say don't ride it to him cause he's already dyin to go ride

Pittsburgh400ex
09-07-2012, 02:14 AM
you asked for a "legit" reason to not ride it. They have been givenm you still insist on riding it. Go blow it up and tell us about it in a week.

dxcody
09-07-2012, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by Pittsburgh400ex
you asked for a "legit" reason to not ride it. They have been givenm you still insist on riding it. Go blow it up and tell us about it in a week.

I was wondering the same thing...

Why ask a question for our opinions, when you end up doing what you want anyways...

Its YOUR motor.. Go do whatever you want.

Might be fine, it might not be.

One thing for sure, its only going to get worse.

400exwhipper
09-07-2012, 04:39 AM
It's not mine, its a friends, and from what I've heard most just say don't do it but no one explained how or why, idk I guess I just don't see why not

Pittsburgh400ex
09-07-2012, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by xtreme762
burning oil.
park it till it gets repaired.
I've seen blown head gaskets, blow motors up so bad they weren't repairable.
Cracked heads and all kinds of other stuff.

xtreme762
09-07-2012, 09:37 AM
You've got a real chance of screwing your buddy here! If it were me, I would just schedule to ride next weekend and replace the bad head gasket between now and then.

I realize your buddy is excited to ride his new bike. But if you tell him it's OK to ride in the condition it's in, it'll be your fault if something happens.

I've been a mechanic for 25+ years, and I can tell you, NOTHING good comes from using a motor that has a real problem! Besides, what are you and your buddy gonna do when the plug gets fouled out every 5 minutes of riding and you're 3 miles from the truck?

With a blown head gasket, the motor is not only blowing air out, but it's also sucking air in. Which can lead to all kinds of other problems. Including cracked head, cracked cylinder sleeve, cracked piston, bent valves, and etc.. One thing leads to another with the mechanics of the internal combustion motor. Everything works together inside there to get you the power delivery you desire.

If one thing fails, and you keep using it. What do you thinks gonna happen? You don't honestly think that it's gonna stay just a blown head gasket do you?

A motor sitting still at an idle and getting revved every couple minutes is completely different than actually putting that motor under stress by normal operating conditions. I'd be willing to make a significant wager that if you go on that ride due to inpatients. The ride won't last long before something else goes wrong with the motor!

Just my $.02, but hey what do I know. My post count is only 11 or 12. So, how could I know what I'm talking about?

I've always been taught that "Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast." In other words "Patients is a virtue."....

dxcody
09-07-2012, 07:10 PM
Coming from a guy who has broke nearly everything possible on a 400ex, PLEASE listen.

Cutting corners does no good for anyone, or anything.

I have ruined a entire brand new motor before, because i didnt listen about jetting.

You have the potential to ruin someone else's motor because you wont listen.

As mentioned before, it MIGHT be fine.
It also MIGHT cause more damage.

Its up to you. One thing you also have to realize that, yes it might be fine now, but once you get out and start riding.. You may be there 10 mins riding and it might just shut off and not start back up due to the head gasket leaking worse.

Then how much fun would that be?

Just fix it, and then enjoy riding as much as you want and have no worries.

Ba9801
09-07-2012, 07:11 PM
+1

Originally posted by xtreme762
You've got a real chance of screwing your buddy here! If it were me, I would just schedule to ride next weekend and replace the bad head gasket between now and then.

I realize your buddy is excited to ride his new bike. But if you tell him it's OK to ride in the condition it's in, it'll be your fault if something happens.

I've been a mechanic for 25+ years, and I can tell you, NOTHING good comes from using a motor that has a real problem! Besides, what are you and your buddy gonna do when the plug gets fouled out every 5 minutes of riding and you're 3 miles from the truck?

With a blown head gasket, the motor is not only blowing air out, but it's also sucking air in. Which can lead to all kinds of other problems. Including cracked head, cracked cylinder sleeve, cracked piston, bent valves, and etc.. One thing leads to another with the mechanics of the internal combustion motor. Everything works together inside there to get you the power delivery you desire.

If one thing fails, and you keep using it. What do you thinks gonna happen? You don't honestly think that it's gonna stay just a blown head gasket do you?

A motor sitting still at an idle and getting revved every couple minutes is completely different than actually putting that motor under stress by normal operating conditions. I'd be willing to make a significant wager that if you go on that ride due to inpatients. The ride won't last long before something else goes wrong with the motor!

Just my $.02, but hey what do I know. My post count is only 11 or 12. So, how could I know what I'm talking about?

I've always been taught that "Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast." In other words "Patients is a virtue."....

b0rn c0nfused
09-07-2012, 08:16 PM
If you have ever rebuilt a 400ex motor and you have all the parts you should be able to change the gasket and have it back running in less then 4 hours..just take part of a day and fix it!