View Full Version : fcr tps wiring

fomospede
09-06-2012, 07:43 PM
ok ive got a stock 04 and have a fcr for it
what wire colors go where?
thanks

Stickman400
09-06-2012, 09:56 PM
I don't think you can wire the TPS to work on an '04-'05 450R because they aren't made to use them. The wires run into the CDI and out to the throttle housing which has a sensor in it on the '06+ (atleast I'm pretty sure they do). So you would have to do alot more work to get it to work.

You might aswell just clip them off by the carb., it doesn't need it to run anyway.

DnB_racing
09-08-2012, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by Stickman400
I don't think you can wire the TPS to work on an '04-'05 450R because they aren't made to use them. The wires run into the CDI and out to the throttle housing which has a sensor in it on the '06+ (atleast I'm pretty sure they do). So you would have to do alot more work to get it to work.

You might aswell just clip them off by the carb., it doesn't need it to run anyway. he's talking about the TPS not the tors or as Honda calls it the closed throttle position detection,but in either case you are right about not using them

you can wire the tps back into the fcr carb if you want ,,,,

but its really not going to do much, the tps is needed for aftermarket ignitions with 3D timing mapping
but on a stock +06 fcr carb, oem ignition,with 2D timing map the tps doesnt do anything once the green wire has been cut,
basic 2D cdi mapping is strictly based on engine RPMs
the stock cdi doesnt make calculations, only raw voltage based inputs, an aftermarket ignition can have multiple maps, that perform calculations based on many different inputs, but not the stock cdi

butif you do want to hook it up, the color code for the 2 models is very close, I forget off hand but if you still want it I will get it for you,just let me know...but you really wont notice any difference with or without

fomospede
09-09-2012, 07:10 AM
DnB, id appreciate that color guide for the tps
thanks

Originally posted by DnB_racing
he's talking about the TPS not the tors or as Honda calls it the closed throttle position detection,but in either case you are right about not using them

you can wire the tps back into the fcr carb if you want ,,,,

but its really not going to do much, the tps is needed for aftermarket ignitions with 3D timing mapping
but on a stock +06 fcr carb, oem ignition,with 2D timing map the tps doesnt do anything once the green wire has been cut,
basic 2D cdi mapping is strictly based on engine RPMs
the stock cdi doesnt make calculations, only raw voltage based inputs, an aftermarket ignition can have multiple maps, that perform calculations based on many different inputs, but not the stock cdi

butif you do want to hook it up, the color code for the 2 models is very close, I forget off hand but if you still want it I will get it for you,just let me know...but you really wont notice any difference with or without

DnB_racing
09-09-2012, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by fomospede
DnB, id appreciate that color guide for the tps
thanks after looking all the 450 trx carbs have the same wire colors, if yours is different it might be from a YZf or a crf??

the colors are from cdi

1st wire-ground-G/Bl to carb sw-G/Y
2nd wire-pos-Lg to carb sw Lg
3rd wire- (0-5v) P to carb switch P

G=green
Bl=black
Y=yellow
Lg=light green
P=pink

they all are the same 1 wire for positive and 1 for ground, and the pink is for the rheostat 0-5 volts to the cdi input depending on were the throttle is positioned,

understand that the stock cdi only has a 2D not 3D map, meaning there is no real curve, and left in stock form the TPS will only affect the top rev limit, but its up to you ..I personally remove those wires on most race harness I build, with absolutely no change in numbers on some that have been dynoed by the owners, along with all my quads, the only ones I keep it on are quads with FI as some of them use a 3D map and its used to change timing and spark throughout the curve, but as I said 2D has no curve its strictly linear