PDA

View Full Version : jetting sugestions please? on the differant 400exes

atvdude
09-03-2012, 03:38 PM
if i could just get some suggestions on where to start with jetting on my fresh rebuilds = 3 machines. dont want them to lean to start.
1st i have a 440ex with stock carb k&n filter with outer wear lid off and stock header(for now) and an aftermarket 2 piece dg pipe, also has stage 2 magnum cam in it.

2nd machine will be my boys. having cylinder bored to 87mm (11:1)so its now going to be a 416ex with half lid (whole in) and uni foam filter,stock header and a WB E-series slip on, stock cam.

3rd machine will have just .20 over bore (namura piston) kN filte, half lid (whole cut in) stock header with WB E-series slip on.

so could i get suggestions on main jets/ pilot jet/ needle clip for starting out. and ille plug chopped if needed.

also any suggestions on if it would be a good idea to run my WB cdi on the 440ex?? came with one of my 400s when i bought it.

well any help will be appreciated.

ps can u buy stock jet kits? instead of going to shop and buying individually??

thanks guys in advance

HondaRacing83
09-03-2012, 03:48 PM
run keihin jets only. if you havnt got the namura yet dont get it or youll be rebuilding it again. buy a wiseco or je or cp

CJM
09-03-2012, 04:00 PM
2nd dont buy the namura junk. If you already got it-send it back if possible.

Jetting Chart (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=445695&highlight=jetting+placement)

atvdude
09-03-2012, 04:14 PM
thanks for the input. why do u say namura is no good? i have bored a raptor to .40 overbore with namura and it run fine for 2 years??? why are they no good?? thanks and also thanks for the link to chart. i printed it out and will use. thanks

brian

CJM
09-03-2012, 04:16 PM
Few different machines I have witnessed using namura pistons have had the pitons melt. I know I am not the only one either.

There is a reason they are the cheapest pistons.

Pittsburgh400ex
09-03-2012, 06:10 PM
It was always my understanding Namura bought overruns from other companies, wether it be JE, wiseco, etc. Known more for stock replacement, not for performance. As for your jetting - I'd start with a 170-175 in the 440 and bump it down if needed. I run 170 in my 426 and it's dead nuts. These are dynojet numbers. Most do not like dynojet, i do --- they have ALWAYS worked great for me. Others will say the opposite. Needle probably around 3rd notch, can play with it and see, easy to spin a stock 400 carb to rejet it quickly for main. Shouldn't need a plug chop, you'll know it if your rich, jsut back it off a little at a time. Check out jetsrus.com, i believe is the site. You can crossreference dynojet #'s to mikuni, keihan, etc. Great place to start.

JOHNDOE83
09-03-2012, 07:30 PM
My 440 has a few extra mods but with a stock carb I ran a 210 main jet and a 42 pilot jet.

FYI, a dynojet 175 is equivalent to a 195 keihin jet.