PDA

View Full Version : A Father's Nightmare

Braff1
03-09-2003, 10:24 PM
This weekend while riding with my son I had to witness one of my worst fears. Whle climbing a hill my son was in front of me. As his quad took some bumps in the trail (there are actually 2 trails, one is just a little rougher than the other) he got off the trail and decided to just shoot up the other side of the trail. Then the nightmare began as I seen his quad's front end come up and over. He bailed to the side but didn't get clear from the quad and then the quad come down on top of him. Running up to him all Icould see is the quad's front end laying on his helmet, him not moving or talking. I picked the quad up off of him and another rider that come up helped get him up, actually it was my son trying to get out from under the quad. Final inspection of my son included a small scratch to his thumb and a bruised knee. The deep gouges in his chest proctetor and helmet are only reminders of the damage that could have been. If this had been a hill that I thought was above his ability I would have not let him climb it and I would have continued up the other trail too. For those who don't believe in wearing helmets I hope this helps someone to change thier mind about helmets and other safety equipment. Sorry to sound like a preacher.

250rpilot
03-09-2003, 10:27 PM
if my dad would not have pounded the helmet thing into me as a child, i would surely be dead by now from head trauma. i WIL NOT ride without a helmet, even if its just goin out back for 10 minutes.
PLEASE WEAR YOUR HELMETS!!!!!

ps-glad to hear your son is ok!!!:)

CHAUNCY
03-09-2003, 10:28 PM
Glad to hear he is not seriously hurt. I wear my helmet when i ride and we can only do so much to tell others how it can save your life. unfortunately some have to learn the hard way:(

RIDER11X
03-09-2003, 10:34 PM
Glad to hear anyone promoting satey apparel. Glad to hear that he is OK.
:cool:

QuadJunkies
03-10-2003, 12:47 AM
Im glad hes ok...MY boy scares me all the time,another child saved by safety gear...;)

03-10-2003, 01:18 AM
good to see all ended up Ok, and another helmet saves the day.

Please you guys who dont like wearing them just put the helmet on your coconut and be around to tell the story.

I for one deff would not have been around very long without one.

upstate rider
03-10-2003, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by Braff1
. Sorry to sound like a preacher. Don't be sorry. I'm glad to hear your son is OK. Safety 1st , how many times have we all seen need your prayers from a head injury. I'm glad to hear you make your son wear the safety equipment.

QuadTrix6
03-10-2003, 03:40 AM
yea, thanks for sharing maybe you will get some more people to wear helmets and gear. i know that my helmet has saved me countless times :macho

Zuki
03-10-2003, 04:04 AM
Hey dan, long time no hear from. Good to hear he's ok though. take care.

RoadkillerRyan
03-10-2003, 04:33 AM
Good thing hes ok, im 15 and i always wear a helmet, my dad made me when i was younger now i dont go without it

Sportrax10
03-10-2003, 04:46 AM
Glad to hear your son is ok. :)

CowsBitePeople
03-10-2003, 04:47 AM
Really glad to know he is ok....I have never gone out without a helmet....What machine was your son riding??

MaTT....

03-10-2003, 05:08 AM
As you see good to wear the ol' helmet and chest protector.. not so bad afterall...

Sparks425Ex
03-10-2003, 05:13 AM
Glad To Hear he is ok...

That just shows everyone how it doesn;t matter what is going on....Your helmet is the best mod you can have. I won't ride without a Helmet or Boots.

DGR Designs
03-10-2003, 05:29 AM
lol sounds like teh perdicament i got myself into last summer. i went over the bars and my bikes rear skid was sitting on top of my helment lol. i could flai around and move but my head was stuck lol
actually looked pretty funny but im glad i was wearin my helment

Nausty
03-10-2003, 06:54 AM
i've with everyone else, It only takes a few seconds to put a helmet on and its nice just knowing if something does happen chances are you know you won't have to worry about your head as much in a crash and injuries to the head or face don't seem like much fun. Ever seen the picture on rotten where the guy ran into the back of a truck on his motorcycle? Where practically his hole face was gone.:eek2: I never ride without a helmet unless its just to move the quad. I've gone trail riding before not thinking i needed a helmet but decided to have my dad stop me because he thought I should of still had it on even if I was just trail riding and it was hot out and what do you know half a hour later one of my tires clipped a tree and I went flying head first into a hill I was gonna jump.

Glow Plug
03-10-2003, 07:06 AM
it's good to see that you are showing your son the inportance of safey gear good job, oh ya ps- glad he's ok

03-10-2003, 07:42 AM
Glad to here all is good.. Remlaper said you guys went over to highwater and rode this weekend..and I was invited..:( Just kidding..yeah highwater has claimed my, my quad and many other quads over the past 7 or 8 years..very rough and dangerous over there..maybe i'll get to take you guys over there sometime and show you all the trails..:D

dirtmomma
03-10-2003, 08:17 AM
Glad to hear your son is ok & thank God for safety gear, my son has been in a few crashes & w/o that gear he would of been seriously injured!!!! He's got soooo many gouges & scratches on his chest protector so I'm jus thankful we bought him one :) :D

Braff1
03-10-2003, 08:28 AM
CowsBitePeople, my son was riding his 300 ex.

I don't think we will ever again have to argue about wearing his helmet. My son now understands why I have been determined that if he rides it is with his helmet.

DirtDiggler
03-10-2003, 09:08 AM
as far as I'm concerned the more saftey gear the more better. Glad he didn't get hurt the whole incident makes a good statement in his mind I'm sure.

z400ACDC
03-10-2003, 10:05 AM
Dan, glad to hear he is OK.

flyin#5
03-10-2003, 02:50 PM
i never have riden w/o a helmet except if getting the mail or something small like that. glad to hear he is ok. i scare the crap out of my mom all the time but my dad doesnt care.. he will sit back and watch me jump at the track and sleep.. lol

bluebaron
03-10-2003, 04:12 PM
thank god hes all right

Rip_Tear
03-10-2003, 05:57 PM
Glad to hear your sons okay! I have seen many accidents where helmets have saved people! I have been in a few my self and I always put mine one and I won't let other people ride my stuff if they dont have one on!

Bean
03-10-2003, 07:15 PM
i always wear my helmet when im riding

sometimes, i do not wear it when im trying to hear my bike for lean or rich signs, hey, my yards flat, and its a 1rst gear testing grounds, if i flip over, that just means i suck, lol