PDA

View Full Version : Loud top end tick

400exwhipper
09-03-2012, 12:52 AM
I recently adjusted the valves, yes I did it right I've worked on many motors, however the ticking is louder than I wanted it to be, and the overall volume of the tick didn't really change after the valve adjustment, I think I need a timing chain but I don't see how a chain could make a tick, I mean I hear the chain some but something else seems to be ticking, and my oil is clean, what am I missing?

dxcody
09-03-2012, 12:53 AM
Hotcam?

400exwhipper
09-03-2012, 12:58 AM
I really wish I knew I was told it was bone stock when I got it and I didn't see any scrapes or Knicks on boots or gasket sealer so idk.. Would I be able to see the decomp mechanism through one of the valve adjust holes?

dxcody
09-03-2012, 01:02 AM
You might be able to see it through one of the right side ones.. Im not sure on that though.

I tried to find it on my motor by looking through one of the valve check holes, but i couldnt see it. I didnt have a light though.

xtreme762
09-03-2012, 08:35 AM
According to the book and most of what I have read on this site and many others. That tick, if it is the decomp, won't hurt anything. It is annoying though.
The best way to get rid of the tick is to put a socket on the flywheel bolt through the access hole on the left side of the motor, and turn the motor back and forth quickly until you hear a click type of noise, indicating the decomp has come unstuck.

I've found that the decomp will get stuck a lot if you idle is set to low, or if the inside of your motor is just all gunked up from using several different types of oil instead of sticking to one type.

400exwhipper
09-03-2012, 11:12 AM
I didn't know decomp could create a tick? But either way I need to look and see if I have it! So what side of the motor is it on flywheel or clutch side?

dxcody
09-03-2012, 01:19 PM
The decompressor is on the clutch side of the cam. IF thats wht your talking about

xtreme762
09-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by dxcody
The decompressor is on the clutch side of the cam. IF thats wht your talking about

The decompressor is what I am referring to.

WoodTRD
09-03-2012, 04:31 PM
I had a fairly loud tick coming from the top end on my motor that I couldn't get rid of by adjusting the valves...turned out one of my cam sprocket bolts was coming loose, I didn't loc tite it after I pulled the head. Doesn't take too long to pull the valve cover and check...and then you'd know what cam you have for sure. Of course if you go that far and find its stock it only takes another few minutes to swap the stocker out for a hotcam :devil:

suspension101
09-04-2012, 05:43 PM
If you rev the engine pay close attention how the ticking noise sounds.

Ticking gets quiter when engine rpms are raised - bad cam chain

Ticking stays constant when engine rpms increase - valve train problem

Ticking gets louder when engine rpms increase - piston or crank problem.

Also, if you have a stock cam with a decompressor you MUST turn the motor counter clockwise and immediately stop at the "T" mark. If the motor turns clockwise at all the decompresser will engage and give you a false reading on the right exhaust valve causing a very loud tick.

JOHNDOE83
09-04-2012, 05:50 PM
400ex ticking could also be from lean jetting and motor mounts that are not tightend in the proper manner creating stress points that make a odd tick, sounds weird but its TRUE.

If everything else checks out, thats where I would look.

It fixed my ticking thats for sure.

storms400ex
09-05-2012, 12:58 PM
mine has a loud ticking but goes away after warm up, still has plenty of power

Ba9801
09-06-2012, 07:45 PM
My problem with the loud ticking was the decompressioner. I took out the cam and pressed off the cam gear flange and removed the decompressioner assembly. I also removed the dowel & spring in the engine block. Then I pressed the cam gear flange back on and reassembled the engine, making sure to readjust the valves. Now the engine sounds great. It was a very easy fix. Just lossen the timing chain tensioner to give you enough slack to get the chain & gear back on easier.