PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed trailer design ideas

rd2005
09-02-2012, 07:00 PM
I recently bought a used enclosed trailer it is 6x12.5. It's not a v-nose, not quite 6ft tall inside, barn doors for the back, & has a side door. My question is what are some good ideas for maximizing space, storage, & such? Here's what I have so far....I plan on getting a 2 helmet holder, a wall mount storage box that holds small chemicals (oils, sprays, filter oil) & a roll of paper towels. I also plan on putting peg board on the front wall with a small shelf under it. Other than that I I’m not sure what else I want to do. I do need to secure a set of 4 wheels/tires & a tri fold ramp. I want to be able to really use the space I have properly. If you have pics of your trailer ideas I would love to see them...Thanks

slightlybent47
09-03-2012, 09:43 PM
I put a deck about a foot tall so I can store wheels and tires, tools, parts what ever underneath. The deck is ¾ ply and just screwed down with a few dry wall screws and can be removed in a few minuets. The deck makes a great place for an air mattress and still have some storage underneath.
Then I put a folding shelf on one side to store riding gear.
The shelf in the front is high enough so I can put two quads in a row and get the first one all the way to the front, 2 quads just barley fit end to end.
The a/c is in the front with a cheap window unit but it does a good job and is plenty for that size trailer.
I insolated the roof and put a head liner in and also insolated the walls and put 3/8 ply on the walls so I can mount stuff to it and have a solid place to screw things on.
Then I put a short loop carpet on the walls and trimmed out with molding.
I have two a/c 4 outlets to plug stuff in from the generator mounted inside the door under the shelf in the front.
I’m still planning to put an awning on the door side.
http://i46.tinypic.com/oe7ih.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/6nyt1s.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/2148if8.jpg

rd2005
09-04-2012, 12:02 AM
slightlybent47...that is a sweet set-up! You have found a way to use basically every inch of your trailer. How did you secure the ac unit to the wall? Awesome Job!

slightlybent47
09-04-2012, 11:43 AM
Thanks
I just used some L brackets in the front and sealed it with RTV.
The a/c unit is very light and dosn't take much to secure it.
The window unit was around $100.00 compared to the roof mount that is $600.00.
Plus it makes it a lower profile so you don't have the a/c sticking out the top.
Sorry I don't have a better picture of the front.
http://i50.tinypic.com/im2p0l.jpg

slightlybent47
09-04-2012, 11:52 AM
Notice the TV is secured with wire, if you dont it will end up on the floor and may not work anymore. Can you guess how I know that?lol
You can get an old TV for 5 bucks at Goodwill and a vcr for another 5 bucks.

I’m looking for a cheap flat screen that I can hang on the wall. then I can move it outside and hang it on the side and watch racing vids while camping.

You do need to insolate the top and sides because it can get very hot from the heat radiating off the sheet metal.
I also panted the roof with rubberized RV roof paint. It helps reflect the heat and helps with noise. The first time I was at the track and it came a big rain storm, I sheltered in the trailer.
The noise was so laud that I couldn’t hear the tv on full blast.lol
The roof paint and the insulation helped a great deal for keeping the noise down.

I used foam rubber for the insulation instead of Styrofoam because it helps knock down the noise much better then the Styrofoam does.

rd2005
09-04-2012, 07:20 PM
Hey thanks for all the info. I'm going to use several of your ideas. I wish I could do the floor like yours but mine is not tall enough.:(
I really like the a/c so that will be done. I'm also going to make sure my shelf is high enough for the quad to go under if needed. The hanging shelf is something I will really look into as well as the foam rubber insolation & that rubberized RV roof paint. Great ideas!
Hate that your poor tv took a dip...lol!
How did you secure your generator to the frame of the trailer or to keep from theft? Your entire little rig is set-up perfectly & smartly!
:D

slightlybent47
09-04-2012, 07:56 PM
Thanks
The generator is bolted to the front; I welded a piece of flat bar across for it to sit on.
Then I put a bike cable and lock around it as added protection from theft.
Come to think of it, I have no idea where the combo for the lock is.lol I hope I don’t need to take it off.lol
That generator is dedicated to that trailer so I never need to remove it.
The Honda generators are worth every penny. There so quiet and smooth that I can’t even hear it in the trailer even with it mounted on the front.

slightlybent47
09-04-2012, 08:03 PM
I made the mistake with the shelf in the front and put it to low for a quad to go under and I couldn’t fit 2 quads end to end. So I had to redo it, and it was a pain in the butt.
The side shelf is hung with two door hinges and two pieces of wire, with a hook so it can fold down out of the way.

rd2005
09-04-2012, 08:52 PM
I was thinking of actually welding my generator to the trailer to prevent theft. Yeah I agree with the Honda generators they cost a pretty penny but they last & last!
On that shelf how far does it come out?
Thanks

slightlybent47
09-04-2012, 09:05 PM
The front shelf is only about 10”. It comes about an inch from the door opening and to the front wall. The board on the face is to give it some strength and to keep things from sliding off during transport.
The side shelf is about 12” wide and only about 6 feet long, it doesn’t go all the way to the front. I put a 2” border around it to stiffen it up and again so stuff don’t slide off.

slightlybent47
09-04-2012, 09:25 PM
If I had it to do over I would make it easer to remove the generator.
I would make a steel plate that I can remove by pulling a locking pin.
You may not have a quiet generator so you will want to get it away from your trailer and use an extension cord.
I spent good money on a quiet generator and 9 times out of 10 someone next to me will put there noisy generator rite next to my trailer. It’s kinda rude.

slightlybent47
09-04-2012, 09:38 PM
The carpet is a real thin cheap carpet I got at Home Depot. I used a spray on rubber cement to attach it.
The head liner is a sheet of that vapor barrier that’s used on houses, again Home Depot.
I got the foam rubber insulation at Hobby Lobby, it comes in a 2’x6”role.

rd2005
09-06-2012, 01:19 PM
I know what you mean about those noisy generators. Been there done that!I will probably keep the generator secured to trailer but not permanently like welding it like I mentioned earlier. After thinking about it & what you said I might need it for something. I am currently working on tracking down the foam rubber but so far no luck. I'm sure its out in my area. You have given me some great ideas for my trailer.
I am going to keep my walls wood & paint them white to help keep it brighter when it's dark & the lights are on.
I also think I will put that long shelf in as well. :D
Thanks for the help!

Ichoptop
09-06-2012, 09:09 PM
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s720x720/553441_3848350161844_877468597_n.jpg

insulated walls and ceiling. Single 2x4 for the tire rack. I built the toolbench out of 2x4 to encase the toolbox so it doesnt roll around then topped it with some 1/2" ply to keep the weight down and a piece of 1x6 to keep things from rolling off of it. Ran wire from the battery to a toggle switch then to a couple of LED pods that I mounted about half way down the length of the ceiling with the switch against the ceiling by the side door. And a fishing pole rack to keep the flags out of the way. Instead of buying stuff like strap hangers I just used some aluminum angle iron and ran a bunch of 5/8" holes through it. Cargo net from ebay for 5 bucks keeps everything in place in trasit and still have two quads front to back with walking room and coolers

next it to add a generator and some outlets so we can charge out camera equipment and probably a cheap flat screen to view footage on the fly.

Derrick Adams
09-11-2012, 06:24 PM
We started our 6x12 last summer. I had read that most of your heat or a/c goes out the roof so we insulated it and added some very thin plywood to cover it. Our trailer came with wood interior walls already so I just ran my electric thru the walls and used low profile boxes to mount everything. Ours is a V-nose so its a bit different I guess.

Here it is when we built our first shelf in front.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l34/Derrick_Adams/0716012046.jpg

Derrick Adams
09-11-2012, 06:28 PM
We used the waynes coat on the bottom because its slick and easy to clean, plus it looks nice. This summer we added a work table and some more storage. I made the opening in front wide enough to fit my MX quad between the side storage and under the bench, so I didnt loose any length.

In this pic I hadnt mounted the other doors yet. I hung the flat screen on the front of the trailer and mounted the dvd player under the top cabinet.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l34/Derrick_Adams/downsized_0528122030.jpg

Derrick Adams
09-11-2012, 06:35 PM
I think the trick to these little trailers is to think smart. I have a small collapsable table, fuel cans, Mr. Heater, air tank, gear bag, and boots that sit along the side wall.

I bought a 1000 watt generator at Harbor Freight for $129 that fits sweet up front. It's tiny, runs for 8hrs on 1 gallon of fuel and really quiet. I plan to buy a yamaha 2000wt this winter though.

We fit all our blankets, pillows, air matress, nuts/bolts, tools, movies, etc up top. The side cabinets hold cleaners, pots&pans, plates, dry food, etc.

We love our little trailer! Our home away from home.

slightlybent47
09-11-2012, 06:56 PM
Yep these things can be set up a number of ways. The key is to use as much of the room that you have as you can.
Another couple of nice looking entries, lets see some more handy work.

rd2005
09-12-2012, 03:23 PM
I like that set up you have going on in front of your trailer Derrick! Noticed you must be a Treck fan from the pic on the tv. :D I have fixed my light issues, sanded, primered, & painted the entire outside of the trailer, made & put 4 wall plates with 6 inch bolts inside of the upper right side to secure a full set of tires. Next building a shelf allowing enough room to move a quad under it, then going to put up some peg board to hang stuff on, then will try to figure where to put a hanging shelf like what slightly bent did. Going to put the fold up table on the wall & also going to make something to secure the ez-up & chairs. My next task is to figure out what type of lighting & to put in a couple of outlets. My trailer is not very tall 5'7" inside under the support/frame but its about 5' 8.5" inbetween the support/frame tubing. So my lights need to be very low profile. Went to Lowes to scout around for ideas. They have low profile LED's but the price is more than I want to spend but I may end up having to just do it. Hope to see some other small trailer owners posting pics. There's some great ideas here. I will post pics before & after I get it done.

CJM
09-12-2012, 03:29 PM
LED xmas lights. :)

rd2005
09-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Christmas lights never thought of that. But wonder if they would be bright enough?
Also can any of you guys on here tell me how to post a picture on here? Want to share a pic of the trailer freshly painted.

Derrick Adams
09-12-2012, 08:02 PM
I hung a 4ft shop light on my wall clear up by the ceiling. Its mega bright though. I've been meaning to add a little night light.

slightlybent47
09-13-2012, 12:42 AM
The Christmas lights are a good idea.
You don’t need much light in such a small trailer. I have some rope lights on the inside and one little 2 foot shop light and that’s plenty. My trailer is too small to work on the bike inside it. I keep a drop light handy for outside the trailer.

I was delivering parts to a wood shop and in there dumpster was a giant sanding belt from one of there machines that was about 4 feet wide and around 6 feet around. I fished it out and glued it to the ramp door on the back. No more slipping on a wet ramp.

http://i45.tinypic.com/125l3rr.jpg

slightlybent47
09-13-2012, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by rd2005
, then going to put up some peg board to hang stuff on, .

Just remember when you hang something it needs to be secure enough so it doesn’t fall off during transport. I wouldn’t use peg board, that may all end up on the floor when you hit a good bump.lol