PDA

View Full Version : Keihin 38mm pwk Idle issues

baker250r
09-01-2012, 03:52 PM
I have a 38mm on a 310 powervalve, which might be on the small side. I am trying to get the engine to idle, but no matter which way I turn the idle screw i dont get anywhere close to any sort of an idle. any help? I have been scouring google for answers all afternoon

Honda 250r 001
09-01-2012, 06:12 PM
What pilot jet are you running?

DnB_racing
09-02-2012, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by baker250r
I have a 38mm on a 310 powervalve, which might be on the small side. I am trying to get the engine to idle, but no matter which way I turn the idle screw i dont get anywhere close to any sort of an idle. any help? I have been scouring google for answers all afternoon what do you mean ????

give a accurate description of the symptoms, does idle screw have no affect,

and does it run fine besides idle

the more info you give the better the responses will be, :cool:

45 lt80
09-02-2012, 05:18 PM
Have u took the carb apart and cleaned it..

JackBrown1988
09-03-2012, 03:48 PM
I have a 38mm on a 310 powervalve, which might be on the small side. I am trying to get the engine to idle, but no matter which way I turn the idle screw i dont get anywhere close to any sort of an idle. any help? I have been scouring google for answers all afternoon

call your builder n get an answer.

Honda 250r 001
09-03-2012, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by JackBrown1988
call your builder n get an answer.

Do you think if he had a "builder" hed be on here asking for suggestions?

Id check your pilot jet. Start with a size 50.

baker250r
09-04-2012, 07:46 AM
The motor is and the carb was cleaned during the rebuild last week. The engine runs strong and smooth all the way through the rpm's, I believe the pilot jet is a 52, I can't confirm right now as I am on the road for the week. The way I was taught to dial in the pilot jet and air screw was to idle the engine and pin the throttle and if it bogged adjust the screw til it didn't bog and if it was a turn either way of the default carb setting you changed the pilot accordingly, right or wrong in my being taught i've always had smooth running engines, I have just never been able to get them to idle

baker250r
09-04-2012, 07:50 AM
Also c-leigh did the port work on it, I was in contact with him a few years ago on the settings to run the carb when I first bought the Cylinder from a fellow forum member. He gave me a rough number and I dialed it in close to those numbers, plug has always been golden brown and always ran strong.

Meat
09-04-2012, 09:43 PM
I've never been able to get my 38pwk to respond to the idle screw. I replaced the stock plastic screw with a brass one and neither screw worked for me. So I have my idle screw backed out and I adjust my idle at the cable adjuster on the cable near my twist throttle. I only have to adjust my idle if I mess with my air screw, so I'm not adjusting the idle very often. I haven't touched the idle screw on my carb in two years.

danhung11
09-04-2012, 10:01 PM
X's 2 on the throttle cable adjustment. If your plug looks good, it pulls everywhere in the RPM range, use the cable adjustments. That's why it's there.

DoonRider
09-04-2012, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by danhung11
X's 2 on the throttle cable adjustment.

Hmm, I didn't know others did that too. I always thought that work-around was a no-no.

Mine didn't idle either. Idlle screw had no effect. Found some crap in the pilot jet, figured I had the problem solved, and it still doesn't idle. I bought a new choke but haven't put it in yet, but I think I am going to try the cable adjustment now.

DnB_racing
09-05-2012, 04:34 PM
I have a 38mm on a 310 powervalve, which might be on the small side. I am trying to get the engine to idle, but no matter which way I turn the idle screw i dont get anywhere close to any sort of an idle. any help? I have been scouring google for answers all afternoon you will also find some answers that say, "a race motor has better response from no idle"
,meaning that you should have to give the throttle a blip every few seconds to keep it running,

the theory is it wont have a rich bog from excess fuel,

along with better motor braking in corners,

I personally dont mind having to keep mine running with a occasional blip

baker250r
09-06-2012, 05:13 PM
Thanks guys, i was trying to find out if it was a normal striker thing. ill fiddle with the throttle and see what that does for me.