PDA

View Full Version : Scrambler 90 electric starter failed.

turbowrenchhead
08-31-2012, 02:28 PM
My sons 90 electric starter quit on him a few months ago. When I tried to start it with the switch it was dead and I bumped the brake switch wire and it cranked. So I tie strapped the wire to the steering handle. It worked fine for some time that way. The starter went out again and moving that brake switch wire around did nothing. It kicked over fine and ran for the rest of the trip. After it sat it won't start via kick start. So does the tail light on when you turn the key on and have a brake light as well? The brake light would turn on when you turned the key to start position. I thought that it was a running light. I never noticed if there was a brighter brake light when activated. Is there a dual filament bulb? I downloaded a service manual for the schematic. I printed it off and started looking at the machine. This schematic is not accurate. I had a difficult time trying to figure out why the starter would not engage. According to the schematic there is a brown wire from the ignition key supplying power to the starter switch. I found it and there is switched power coming off the ignition switch. There is no brown wire at that connector for the control switch assembly. There is no power on any of the six wires going to the control switch assembly. If I understand this correctly there should be a controlled power going to the starter relay. I have a blue/whit wire coming off the ignition switch down to the starter relay. I supplied a power to the back of the connector and the relay was dead. I ordered a new relay. However I still don't have power down to the relay. Just seems odd that I have two separate problems. Or I am overlooking something. I could not jump the relay on the control side but I jumped it on the power side and the starter engages fine and cranks fast. But it will not fire up that way. I pulled the plug it was black and wet. Cleaned it. Did a compression test Got 85 psi without blocking the exhaust. That probably ok psi, not sure what it should be. My 11:1 blaster makes 120psi without the exhaust blocked off, so the scrambler is not to far off from that. It has good spark, but still doesn't fire. I don't know if there is a wiring issue or perhaps a bad kill switch. I bought a aftermarket control assembly kit with manual choke. When I ohm ed the kill switch it didn't want to work. Had to re click it several times before it had continuity in the on position. I don't know if this is causing my spark to fade out?
Any help would be appreciated.

#404's Dad
08-31-2012, 03:20 PM
85 psi is time for a Top End freshening for sure, the Brake Switch Wires if memory serves correctly can be unplugged and then plug the two from the harness into one another to bypass the pulling of the lever to start.

turbowrenchhead
08-31-2012, 03:32 PM
After a break from it I went back out and studied the schematic. I also put the relay on a separate battery and ohm tested it. Its definitely bad. I stated making notes. After some more testing I realized that the starter switch supplies a ground to the relay and the brake switch supplies the B+. So my brake light switch has been faulty and coming on when I turn the key on in the past. The running light filament in the bulb must be burnt out. The relay should cure the problem. Now if it will fire up after its replaced will be the question. As for the compression. It ran just fine for my 8 yr old boy. I have to turn the throttle as it is. It doesn't need more power. As long as it has enough to keep going it will stay that way till it won't go. Then it will get a new slug and rings.