PDA

View Full Version : Wilkin250r... Got a question LED lighting

troybilt
08-31-2012, 07:00 AM
Did you happen to read the latest DW issue? Where they show how to convert a banshee to DC power for running HID's or LED lighting. Said the conversion also works with 250r's...

Called a "floating ground conversion". Looks pretty simple for converting to DC power and running a battery.

Maybe this is common knowledge??

Langbolt
08-31-2012, 10:58 AM
Like this

D Bergstrom
08-31-2012, 11:19 AM
Troy, you don't have to modify the stator at all to run HID's, just need a regulator/rectifier and a battery. Below is a link to a thread that I posted a wiring diagram of how my lights are wired. Diagram is on the second page of the thread.

Doug

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=309507&perpage=10&highlight=lights&pagenumber=2

troybilt
08-31-2012, 11:42 AM
Ah, perfect thanks Doug. That seems pretty simple.

wilkin250r
08-31-2012, 04:21 PM
It's not really "Common Knowledge", but it's fairly simple in concept. When you convert AC to DC, you can't use the same ground for both. One of them has to be "floating".

This results in two choices, you either float your stator ground or you float your DC ground. Floating the stator isn't difficult, it's just a matter of disconnecting a lead on the stator and running it out of the engine cases to your rectifier (usually a reg/rec combo).

Your other alternative is to leave the stator alone, and just convert the headlight portion of your electrical circuit to DC. It might be the simpler method, but you need to be carefull that it doesn't tie to chassis ground in any way or you'll burn out your rectifier.

Gimme a couple days to read the article and give you my thoughts.

wilkin250r
08-31-2012, 04:25 PM
I was planning on writing a really nice tutorial on converting your entire electrical system to DC by floating the stator ground and using a 400EX regulator/rectifier because they're plentiful.

I was holding off because I was looking for a connector to the 400EX reg/rec and another member was helping me, and the whole thing kinda fell through without that information.

I could easily do it with another reg/rec unit, but I didn't want to force people to buy a specific brand, I really wanted to use the 400EX because they're cheaper and easier to find.