View Full Version : Need help... Steering is loose

NJ416ex
08-29-2012, 07:22 PM
I need help guys and gals... I had a crash and bend the stem, bars and tie rods. I replaced everything that needed replacing plus the stem bearings. Now the steering is too loose and I can't get it to tighten up. The stem bolt on the bottom is as tight as it can be and the stem bracket up top is tight too... Am I going to have to buy a steering stabilizer to fix this or is there another way to fix this??

Thanks in advance

drew416ex
08-29-2012, 07:26 PM
loose as in its too easy to turn or things are moving in a way that they arent supposed to do?

CJM
08-29-2012, 07:30 PM
Betcha the tie rods are loose. Its either a 12mm 14mm wrench on top and bottom. Although yo cant see the top to well there are cut outs for an open end wrench.

JOHNDOE83
08-29-2012, 07:43 PM
Actually, I think theres a spacer washer that is supposed to be there also, mine did the same thing then I found the spacer in a pile of parts and put it back on.

Problem solved.

If you cant find it use some washers.

I actually used the wrong washers for the top mount also, I used ones that were to thick and had to use thinner ones from the pile of bolts.

NJ416ex
08-29-2012, 10:48 PM
Loose as in turning too easy. All my tie rods are tight and the toe is good. It's hard to keep straight in the soft sand because the steering is loose and it pulls. I use paddles because of the soft sand so the back isn't slipping, just the front turns too easy. I've never seen spacers on tie rods before.

400exwhipper
08-29-2012, 10:53 PM
Drill a hole in the top of the ball joint at the ends of each tie rod, screw in a grease fitting and pump it up, instantly stiffer steering

NJ416ex
08-30-2012, 12:00 AM
Everything I read said that there is no clearance between the cap and the ball for a zerk and that it actually loosens the steering not tightens it

400exwhipper
08-30-2012, 10:58 AM
I don't care what you read there's plenty of space when you look in there and it worked great for me, I also did this to my stock ball joints before I got +2 arms, trust me if your lookin for a cheap way to make stiffer steering this is it lol

NJ416ex
08-30-2012, 12:40 PM
I'll give it a shot

TheLane
08-30-2012, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by 400exwhipper
I don't care what you read there's plenty of space when you look in there and it worked great for me, I also did this to my stock ball joints before I got +2 arms, trust me if your lookin for a cheap way to make stiffer steering this is it lol

^^^ hes not opinionated at all :P

NJ416ex
08-30-2012, 01:39 PM
Top or side if the ends??

CJM
08-30-2012, 02:07 PM
How tight did you make the stem clamp and did you check the tie rod ends for play?

NJ416ex
08-30-2012, 02:14 PM
The clamp is as tight as it could be and there's no play in the tie rods or ball joints

CJM
08-30-2012, 02:26 PM
Then its gotta be loose at the lower nut. Theres no other attachment points.

Tie rods good at the knuckles too right?

JOHNDOE83
08-30-2012, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by NJ416ex
Loose as in turning too easy. All my tie rods are tight and the toe is good. It's hard to keep straight in the soft sand because the steering is loose and it pulls. I use paddles because of the soft sand so the back isn't slipping, just the front turns too easy. I've never seen spacers on tie rods before.

Sorry, from your post I thought you were talking about the stem being to loose.

NJ416ex
08-30-2012, 05:20 PM
Everything is tight all the way around, but I'll double check when I get home... Maybe the stem bearings amd tie rod ends were going when i got it from someone and the steering was stiff because of that and this is how it's supposed to be... My 11 yr old son has a Kawasaki Mojave 250 and you can turn his bars with a feather and I don't know if that's normal either...
Hell I can't even get the tie rod adjustment nuts loose even though I lets them simmer in PB Blast for a day and a half... Maybe I'll change out the ball joints just to be safe... I believe they are the stock ones and never been changed. He said the only thing that was stock was the frame because you can't race unless the frame is stock. I really don't want to have to take it to a shop and have to pay their rates just to look it over.

NJ416ex
08-30-2012, 07:30 PM
Plus I have Lonestar either +1 or +2 a arms, do I have to use Lonestar ball joints or can I use stock or another aftermarket brand without using auto tie rods instead??

CJM
09-01-2012, 04:36 PM
Something has to be loose or worn. Either bearings, ball joints, tie rods ends, something.

Or

Maybe its just a figment of your imagination and everythings good?

I live not to far from you, if you would like I could look it over I suppose when I have some free time if you dont mind coming to me.

NJ416ex
09-01-2012, 06:36 PM
Thanks man that's cool of you to offer, I will keep that in mind... I think I may need to take it to the shop though because I started it and let it idle for a few minutes and then it died and wouldn't start unless I held the throttle then it would pop and die. If I let it sit for like 20-25 mins it will start up then do it all over again. I'm not too engine savvy so I think this may be a job for the pros. It sucks because I'm supposed to go riding with a group of like 30 people tomorrow... Guess I'll be taking the 300ex out instead of my 416. Any ideas on what it could be??

CJM
09-01-2012, 06:38 PM
More than likely a jetting issue. I had a similar issue on my 450, would start over fine but kept flooding out. Turned out to be a loose pilot jet.

NJ416ex
09-01-2012, 07:50 PM
Yeah I know nothing about jetting And neither does my buddy so off to Ocean County Powersports it goes

Baileygunns
09-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Are your arms caster adjustable? If your knuckles are rocked to far forward you will ge twitchy/darty steering... Like a shopping cart at Walmart with a bent wheel.

Snap a pic of your upper a-arms and post it.. If the joints are threaded hiems you can adjust them to your liking. Rocking them back will give you a stiff/heavy steering that returns to center quickly.. If they are to far forward you will get a twitchy/loose steering..

CJM
09-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by NJ416ex
Yeah I know nothing about jetting And neither does my buddy so off to Ocean County Powersports it goes

Please dont pay them to look at it. I once upon a time took my quad there. I told them I had a 416 kit, it was typed right on the paperwork too. Do you know what I got?????

They turned the air/fuel screw out..thats it! :mad: Almost cost me hundreds of bucks and a new topend. From that point on I made sure I learned how to do it myself.

Maybe I just had a bad experience, but I dont trust them. You want it jetted? What mods you got and I can explain not only how to jet it, but what jet to use (as can many others here).

If you want a shop to work on it take it to trappanis in waretown. George is a bit of an arse and a bit costly, but he will do the job right no matter what. If you dont like his price, give sun cycles in manasquan a ring. Or you could give griff in chattsworth a ring @ Griffin Vehicle Service 609-726-1717 http://gvsdirtbikes.com/.

Id suggest my buddy who does EXCELLENT work-but hes moving down south and not taking on any work.

NJ416ex
09-01-2012, 11:08 PM
Yeah I just got tires from them and they mounted them too and when I went to put them on yesterday they never seated the bead right so it leaked air and I had to re seat them both. I usually go there for stuff because they're close and Bruce is a good guy. He even price matched the tires I bought they wanted 170 a tire and he gave them to me for 109 a tire. I've never had work done there though. I usually just order stuff from there because I get it quicker. If I ordered stuff online with faster shipping it usually costs about the same. And I get my oil and other stuff like that from there.

I got to Trapani's too, and yes he is an arse, but he knows what he's talking about.

I honestly don't know much about my setup because I traded a guy who used to race his 01 416 for my Chinese 4x4.

If I take it somewhere I will use your suggestions.

CJM
09-02-2012, 07:51 AM
Give them a shot, like I said OCP is ok but not for work being done-least on quads.