PDA

View Full Version : PEP to Fox

Rohr397
08-29-2012, 02:13 PM
Alright so I'm looking into selling my older PEP shocks for a set of Fox Podium shocks. No these are not off the Polaris ATV's, they're actually custom rebuilt off a FMX snowmobile and were on Tim Shelmans Honda. My buddy bought them from him and now is selling them for $300 because he got the brand new PEP shocks for his quad. They're long travel and look pretty good to me.

Now here's my issue. Currently my PEP shocks are about 17 inches eye-to-eye and these are 18 & 3/4. I was curious if they would fit or not. My motivation is that I found someone who'd buy my PEP's for $600 and I could buy these for $300, meaning I'd make $300 and get newer, nicer shocks. What do you guys think?

Pittsburgh400ex
08-29-2012, 02:16 PM
1-3/4" sounds like an awful lot to me. Really gonna push those arms down if you can even get them in.

Rohr397
08-29-2012, 02:19 PM
Yeah that was my concern with them.

On that note are there any other shocks out there that would be worth switching to? I know I sound crazy but I could use the extra $$$ and my PEP's are 12 years old going on 13. I'd honestly still like to look into Yfz450r shocks or something along those lines, even if it takes a bit of work to get them in.

Pittsburgh400ex
08-29-2012, 02:23 PM
Depends what you want man. I went from original 1999 pogosticks to '07 450r stockers. took the preload all the way out and set reb.comp in the middle and slapped em on. It was night and day to me. Took all the body roll out of it and "floats" a little easier now. Would i hit a 70 foot double on them? Nope, lol. Huge upgrade for the way i ride the old girl now for 300 bucks.

Rohr397
08-29-2012, 02:26 PM
Well I have to have long travel shocks because of the LSR front end and what not. I hit fairly large jumps and do motocross. They don't need to be anything special, just stiff, adjustable and able to soak up the rough stuff without bottoming on the big jumps. Sand tracks -__________-

Pittsburgh400ex
08-29-2012, 02:30 PM
If you've gotten 13 years out of your long travel peps and like em, maybe worth having them rebuilt then. You like them and they haven't broken, and you know how to tune them i'm sure. Maybe just have em freshened up since your not looking for anything crazy like elka stage 5's, etc. etc...

Rohr397
08-29-2012, 02:36 PM
Well that's the thing, I've only had the quad a year but they've been on the quad since 2000. They're nice but they're definitely not sprung right for me and I am completely stumped by the ZPS tuning still. I could get them rebuilt but idk if it's worth it. Finding a builder for ZPS shocks is hard enough!

CJM
08-29-2012, 05:00 PM
Id say that might be a tad long. Might wanna contact LSR and ask what the max length you can run is.

Pittsburgh400ex
08-29-2012, 05:47 PM
You "could" move the mounts outward on the arms if you wanted to. I'd think a shock that much longer is gonna be at a pretty extreme angle, i'm getting visuals of a hard landing and a bent cylinder up front. would need realighned and some caster/camber adjustments. I have access to a brandnew miller dual-voltage welder and pretty good with a mig gun but i'd be terrified to start welding arms up. That thing knocks off and a shock harpoons the ground and your goin for a ride.

dustin_j
08-30-2012, 09:23 AM
I just looked at your picture in the " post mx 400 pics!!!" thread, and you have standard travel +2 arms. The 17" shocks are probably a little long, even. PEP ZPS shocks are typically a little long. You'd be looking at some stock length aftermarket shocks or stock 450R fronts, rebuilt for your arms. 18.75" is definately too long for your setup. I hope this helps.

Dustin

TheLane
08-30-2012, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by dustin_j
I just looked at your picture in the " post mx 400 pics!!!" thread, and you have standard travel +2 arms. The 17" shocks are probably a little long, even. PEP ZPS shocks are typically a little long. You'd be looking at some stock length aftermarket shocks or stock 450R fronts, rebuilt for your arms. 18.75" is definately too long for your setup. I hope this helps.

Dustin

im gonna x2 that post. 18.75 is way too long for those arms man. your camber would be way off, and you would suffer a ton in your ability to corner.

The quad would wind up having a ton of oversteer, and since your a-arms arent camber adjustable, there wouldnt be any way to correct this problem.

Also since they are too long, where the suspension should be in its stroke would be off.

IE: for the sake of easy explanation. Lets say that in theory for this shock your high speed spring is fully compressed at 25% of the stroke and your main spring takes over. ( Just an example, i know it may not be exact #s for this shock)

Since the shock would have to be compressed a little already to be put on the quad, your high speed spring would be prematurely compressed to a certain point and you would essentially already be patrially into the stroke of the shock. This would mean that your main spring would be kicking in too soon and your high speed spring would have very limited use.
IE: through whoops ect.

This would make for a really crappy ride, and pretty much defeats the purpose of having a high end shock. And if youre racing MX, id steer clear of these shocks.

Kovatch
08-30-2012, 01:55 PM
Definitely too long of a shock, but you can get them rebuilt and have them set to the proper length to fit your a-arms and such.

YFZR front shocks measure 18.25" eye to eye. I know that for a fact as I have a YFZR

dxcody
08-30-2012, 02:34 PM
You said you would have $300 extra right?

That should probably be plenty of money to have them set to the right length.