View Full Version : carb and brake help

tharrison365
08-29-2012, 09:09 AM
I have a few problems with my 89 250r. One the brakes do not work. I have bled them for close to an hour and got them to work and then they will work for a few days and they will go out again that is the front brakes. the rear brake pedal has almost no pressure. Have no clue what the problem is because i bled both of them for over an hour. Second the carb keeps pulling fuel through. It always over flows if it is running or not running. It is also a good leak i can ride for an hour and be out of a full tank of gas. Can anyone help me with any ideas on what to do to fix my problems thanks.

87TRX310R
08-29-2012, 10:20 AM
Sounds like the brake system should be rebuilt it could be leaking from one of the calipers, a hose or the master cylinder. The fuel leak could be the float not set rite or the float has a hole in it.

wilkin250r
08-29-2012, 10:40 AM
Okay, it sounds like you're kinda new to mechanics, or at least new to working on ATVs. That is not an insult, we were all new at some point. I cannot stress enough that you NEED a good repair manual (not the owner's manual, that only tells you how to start it and turn the headlights on). The repair manual will tell you how to disassemble components, how to check them, and put them back together. The genuine Honda repair manual is usually regarded as the best, and can still be found on ebay, but other brands are still okay and will get the job done.

The repair manual is the first step. Now, the repair manual won't tell you everything, like WHY things happen and the likely causes, and that's where we come in. You come to us with questions, we point you in the right direction and things to look at. But there's only so much we're willing to do, we're not going to run out and disassemble our carburetors in order to take pictures for you, that's what repair manual is for.

wilkin250r
08-29-2012, 10:58 AM
Now, with that being said, let's fix your problems.

Your carburetor leaking issue is a fairly simple fix, because there are only a few possible causes, and they all have basically the same fix. You need to disassemble your carburetor, clean or replace a couple items, and put it back together.

When fuel flows from your gas tank to your carburetor, it flows to the bottom of the carb called the "bowl". Your bowl has a couple floats in it that are attached on a pivot, and as the bowl fills up with fuel, the floats rise. Near the pivot point is a small needle valve where the fuel come in, and when the floats rise up to a certain level, that needle valve shuts off the flow of incoming fuel. When that fuel gets used up by the engine, the floats drop, the needle valve opens, and lets in more fuel.

Somewhere in this area is your problem. It has to be. The unlikely causes are the floats set incorrectly, or the floats no longer float so they don't rise to shut off the incoming fuel. These are both fairly rare, because most carbs have been adjusted correctly at some point in the past and it's very difficult to hit or jostle the carburetor enough to cause that adjustment to change.

The most likely cause is that dirt or some other debris got in there and is sitting at the seat of the needle valve and won't allow it to close. This can also damage the needle valve itself because it has a soft rubber tip and can get distorted and thus will no longer seal.

The first step is to get a repair manual, and when you have that come back on here and let me know, and I'll walk you through the process complete with additional pictures.

bradenc19
08-29-2012, 01:54 PM
Does the back brakes bleed at all?

tharrison365
08-29-2012, 03:11 PM
Very little we spent over an hour trying to bleed each and got almost no where. Also just noticed a very small leak on the front left caliber but even when completly filled and bleeding they dont do much at all