PDA

View Full Version : trade opinions

TN_423
08-27-2012, 10:27 PM
Well i've been looking into moving up from my 400ex to a 450 or a raptor 700. I've been leaning towards a yfz over the trx for the 450's but i've came across a trade opportunity. My bike is a 07 with brand new xrex's all the way around, uni filter, hmf slipon, ccp steering stabilizer, ac full skids, moose front bumper and ac nerfs. The 450 is an 05 kicker with hrc cam, k&n filter, barnett clutch, new chain and sprockets, yoshi exhaust, +2 lonestar stem, fatbars, dg nerfs grab bar and front bumper, baja wheels with holeshots, new rear axle bearings, and full skids. And it comes with a set of +2 +1 lonestar long travel a arms. I havent seen it in person yet but so far all I really know about it is its missing the tail light and one of the rear wheels is bent, and that tire has a plug. The owner says he hasn't replaced the wheel because its not bad enough to replace. Mine has no issues. My worries with it are mostly due to the fact I know nothing about these 450s. As of now, I ride only trails, although i've been thinking about hitting the track just to try it, so my main concern is how trail-suitable this quad will be? I'm not sure how much of an a**pain a kicker would be on the trails. I dont have any experience on the honda, but i've rode my buddies 07 yfz on the trails and im aware of their tendency to want to be revved harder than my ex. But I also love the snap of the yfz, is the honda the same? I preciate any help and opinions yall can give me.

finsteratv
08-28-2012, 03:14 PM
i wouldnt trade..that sounds like a beat TRX and yours sounds pretty nice..I have an 06 electric start 450 and its awesome...redesigned motor compared to the earlier ones and pumps out a good amount more of juice! Plenty of snap no matter the conditions with my 160 or my dads 230lbs on it.

2001400exrida
08-29-2012, 09:33 AM
if he's wanting to do an even trade i wouldn't even consider not doing it. I would be trading like yesterday! the extra parts alone are worth as much as your EX.

extended stem, extended a arms, HRC kit. The 05's are great machines too, if the motor is solid, i would definitely make the trade, i'm suprised a person would want to trade even for a mostly stock 400ex

Scro
08-29-2012, 09:39 AM
A bent wheel and plug is nothing to even worry about. Sell the extra set of a-arms, and buy a good set of wheels. Granted you haven't seen it yet. But even if it's in decent shape, I would have already traded. For what it's worth, I greatly prefered the 04/05 model over the 06+.

Pittsburgh400ex
08-29-2012, 02:07 PM
Sounds like too good to be true. So it probably is. Go look at it and i'd bring a new gasket and ask to see the piston. newer one are a bit snappier i guess, but they upped the compression on them and changed the carbs. A kicker can be a pain in the tight woods until you are used to the high gearing. It took me a little while anyway. You will be clutching alot more compared to your 400. Now in aftermarket parts value...yeah it's there. Expect to pay about .40$ on a dollar for used stuff. Provided the arms and everything are nice and well maintained. You said barnett clutch in it...a complete assembly with basket, inner hub, pressure plate, etc? Or just a new clutch pack?

2001400exrida
08-29-2012, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Pittsburgh400ex
Sounds like too good to be true. So it probably is. Go look at it and i'd bring a new gasket and ask to see the piston.

i don't know many sellers who would let you bust their running motor open just to inspect the piston, just saying.

Pittsburgh400ex
08-29-2012, 03:11 PM
lol your probably right but they might...or the fact you show up willing to do that might make them aware your not fcking around and are intrested. It's more of a scare tactic really, if they are selling a lemon they know it. It's been done to me and i've literally driven an 07 rubicon back into the seller's garage. With the garage door down. He made it "right" after that, lol.
Don't get me wrong it sounds like an awesome deal, but really how often do you come across ones like this? I'd make damn sure everything is straight up before i trade anything. What if it needs a bottom end? 500$ right there before you spend the time putting it in if you can.

CJM
08-29-2012, 05:08 PM
Never know till you get there and look at it. Cant tell you how many I turned down after I asked for DETAILED CLOSE UP PICS!

I looked at one that had snapped off the case saver stud on the bottom end and leaked oil all over, wheels and axle were bent, yadda yadda. Told the idiot Id give him a grand b/c of the title and all the work and guess what-still for sale on CL!

TN_423
08-29-2012, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the help so far guys, we are supposed to meet up tomorrow and check each others stuff out. The story he told me is this was his trail quad, as he has a yfz and banshee that he races. He was going to give this to his son, but decided it was too much for him so he is selling to get something for him, and his son happens to like the 400's. I guess we will see if it checks out tomorrow!

finsteratv
09-05-2012, 12:30 PM
Oops i thought your 400 had all those parts...