PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! quick question for all you racers!!!!!!

400exBro
03-09-2003, 07:36 PM
i am in need of a new chain to replace my old stock one.... what is the best chain i can get that will with stand any condtions and the power of the ex, basicly that it won't strecth??? and mx abuse... and will also reduce weight if possible...

i am thinking d.i.d or renthal chains... i perfer the sealed type so lubing the chain won't have to be that often....

give me some pointer and some pros and cons... i need to order the chain tomorrow so i need replys fast.............

thanks

swamprider7
03-09-2003, 07:54 PM
The strongest and toughest chain on the market is made by Sidewinder. They also make sprockets. There stuff is VERY expensive though. I guess you gotta pay to run the best.

toby400ex
03-09-2003, 08:22 PM
what he said, but magicracing also sells a good kit, it was like 95 for a gold o-ring ek chain and steel front and rear jt sprockets, they work good for me, and they look good.:D

dhines
03-12-2003, 06:12 AM
Check out the DID X-Ring ATV chain as well. I've run both the Sidewinder Golds and now the DID and the DID seems to be at least as good for less $$.

redrizza
03-12-2003, 06:47 AM
DID heavy duty atv chain.;)

Razorback
03-12-2003, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by 400exBro
i perfer the sealed type so lubing the chain won't have to be that often....

You still will need to lube the chain. The o-ring or x-ring will seal the rollers, but the other chain components exposed to the outside will still need to be sprayed down.

Scott400EX
03-12-2003, 08:20 AM
I have a DID x ring now and it broke my chain breaker trying to cut the links off of it so it would fit. Its a tough chain!!!

QuadTrix6
03-12-2003, 09:49 AM
yea the D.I.D X ring is a good chain i will be getting one shortly :)

GNCC#829
03-12-2003, 09:54 AM
The motorcycle xring actually has a higher tensle stregnth than the ATV xring chain.

TRX300X
03-12-2003, 09:04 PM
The tensle strength is really all that matters. I'm running a D.I.D. chain. Oh some advice for you, I wouldn't run chain wax or anythign like that. That stuff flies off and sticks to your swingarm and air box and collects dirt. The only thing I use is white lithium grease. If you look at your chain when you take it out of the paper it's not covered in chain wax, it's covered in white lithium grease. Just some food for thought.

eldoexrider01
03-12-2003, 09:11 PM
i agree with you on the chain lube. lithium grease is the best. it doesnt look like it holds as well, but its easier to re-lube ur chain in 3 min than to get all that gunk off your bike for like an hour or 2! has anyone seen that Bel-Ray chain lube thats green and turns in to a dirty brown???? that is the most horrible chain lube i have ever seen!!!!! there is still stain marks in the shop when i put some on at work!

03-12-2003, 09:26 PM
Chains are sort of complicated and though our use of them is different than most other applications many of the info in the following link is still app. to quads etc. Some of the engineering info isnt accurate to quads so be carefull if you intend to use that info.

This is a very very good (also a little long) source for info on chain from one of the largest producers of roller chain in the world.

tsubaki (http://www.ustsubaki.com/chainguide.html)

Bean
03-12-2003, 09:45 PM
DiD X-ring seems like a nice chain, we will see how it works, Saturday im going ridin at our sandbox, and if it holds, it gets the Bean Approval

400exBro
03-13-2003, 06:15 AM
thanks for your help...

i went to the dealer and ask between the 2 did 520atv or the 520v and he had the 520v in stock for a really good dea and they didn't have the 520atv in stock... so i got the 520v o-ring chain... so far it looks a lot stronger than the stock and is a lot littler in weight...

also where can i get this lithum grease???

TRX300X
03-13-2003, 07:52 PM
Auto parts store is where you get it. I dont know if your dealer would carry it or not. Just get some white litium grease in a spary can. It'll only run you a few dollars.

crookedeyemoto-x
03-13-2003, 08:15 PM
I run a D.I.D X-ring chain myself, and love it hope that this helps.

GNCC#829
03-14-2003, 05:06 AM
It isn't a good idea to use grease on a chain. All of the dirt and sand will stick to it, and make everything wear out alot faster than if you use regular chain lube.

redrizza
03-14-2003, 05:47 AM
Yeah, grease is bad. I know white lithium is very thin and doesn't hold big chunks of dirt like other greases can, but it still is holding dirt and sand on your chain.
The wax works great, you just need to apply it correctly. First you have to have your chain clean and dry (ride around for 5 min) and once the chain is dry and warmed up a little, apply a quick coat of the wax (1 time around for each side) to the joint area's of the links(where the rings are), not the outside of the link. Then, let the wax dry on the chain. Doing it to a warm chain really helps because the wax hardens onto the chain when it cools. If you are having a problem with chain wax getting everywhere, than your putting too much on, or applying it before you go riding and not letting it dry.

Hope this helps. Ride hard! :bandit:

400exBro
03-14-2003, 06:05 AM
ya that is what i was thinking, if you lube a sealed chain how is it supose to help it??? all what you do is attract the dirt and cause the chain to wear out faster, that is what my dad tells me all the time on the stock chain... that you are wasting chain lube and you are going to wreck your chain(in the long run, and that is what happened)

do i just go to a dealer and ask for chain wax , or do my local automotive stores carry it aswell??

is that lithum grease called white grease?? i think i got some of that stuff, it works good for lubing parts that are not sealed...

redrizza
03-14-2003, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by 400exBro
do i just go to a dealer and ask for chain wax , or do my local automotive stores carry it aswell??

is that lithum grease called white grease?? i think i got some of that stuff, it works good for lubing parts that are not sealed...

Your local dealer should carry it. I use BelRay chain wax myself.. White grease might be the same? Not sure, I know any "white" grease I've ever seen is definately a thinner grease, whether all white grease is Lithium based or not I don't know. If it's not I'm sure it would work just the same.

bradley300
03-14-2003, 04:57 PM
i used to alway by sidewinder stainless steel full systems until i got my 300(my first bike w/ a manual clutch) for some reason is did not hold up like they did on my auto clutch machines. i have completly shredded a rear sprocket into a ninja throwing star and stretced a quadramax stainless steel chain 3 inches. i'm trying the did x ring now, i'll tell y'all how it holds up in a month or so

03-14-2003, 05:30 PM
Use whatever lube you like as long as it doesnt attack the orings (or x rings etc) it should work fine. The idea of the oiling of a sealed chain (remember grease is only oil in a thickener or base to hold the oil) is to lube the friction areas between the chain side plates, rollers etc and the sprocket. I have also heard that it will help the rubber orings to stay pliable and not get hard and crack etc.

You should have no problems finding white lithium based grease in any auto parts store because it is very popular in cars etc and should come in tubs, carts and even spray cans.