PDA

View Full Version : Yuasa YT12A-BS vs Shorai

WoodTRD
08-26-2012, 01:41 PM
After only about 4 months my everstart YTX12-BS wally world special is dead and I'm tired of replacing batteries yearly or less. I went with a bigger battery after the added compression to help turn the motor over faster as the stock size seemed to struggle. Question is, would the Shorai be worth double the price of the yuasa? RMATV has the hayabusa sized yuasa for $85 vs $170 for the shorai lithium.

If the yuasa will spin the 11.5:1 over fine for years then I'll go with it over the shorai, but if the lithium battery will last longer and spin the motor faster that may be what I'll go with, the AGM hayabusa sized battery I have currently is pretty heavy. Would I maybe need to go up to a 20A starter fuse? I've blown one 15A shortly after I swapped to the busa battery and would hate to get stranded due to something so simple, I ride solo pretty often.

Got a dune trip coming up next weekend... definitely don't want to be worrying about the battery and need something pretty quick.

CJM
08-26-2012, 03:09 PM
Cheap walmart battery-thats the problem. I have a genuine yuasa batt that that has never failed me in 2 years now.

The shorai would have a bit more power and of course last longer tho. Worth the price-depends on how you look at it. Me, I dont think its worth the price.

Wheelie
08-27-2012, 08:57 AM
I recently replaced the YT12A-BS in my quad with a Shorai from Rockymountain. Haven't had the battery long enough to comment on long term durability, but the Shorai spins my 11.5:1 stroker over noticeably faster than the Yuasa ever did.

The weight savings and discharge rate of the Shorai is what sold me. I'm terrible about storing my machine properly which doesn't help battery life.

400exwhipper
08-27-2012, 12:47 PM
What is the discharge rate on those lithiums? I've used li-po battery's in RC cars and it makes em rip, where would I order one? And for anyone that doesn't know what lithium means its a different compound inside the battery, no lead core, no electrolyte solution making a lighter battery that puts out a lot more juice, also lithiums don't go dead on the shelf, ever, and you CANNOT use a regular charger on these either, lithiums require a pulse charge other wise they will blow up, and they burn at like 12,000 degrees, but yea where can I get one is my question lol

WoodTRD
08-27-2012, 07:17 PM
I went back and forth debating between a yuasa and shorai for a while and even had the yuasa in my cart at one point but ended up jumping off the deep end with the Shorai. Hopefully it will be worth it...If so they may find their way into my jet skis as well, I'm tired of buying around 3 batteries per year to keep the various machines running. Light weight and monster cranking amps were just icing on the cake.

What is the discharge rate on those lithiums? I've used li-po battery's in RC cars and it makes em rip, where would I order one? And for anyone that doesn't know what lithium means its a different compound inside the battery, no lead core, no electrolyte solution making a lighter battery that puts out a lot more juice, also lithiums don't go dead on the shelf, ever, and you CANNOT use a regular charger on these either, lithiums require a pulse charge other wise they will blow up, and they burn at like 12,000 degrees, but yea where can I get one is my question lol

Reading around online the static discharge rate seems to be 1-2% per month on the shorai. From what I understand the RC car lithium polymer (LiPoly) batteries use a different chemistry than Lithium Iron (LiFePO4) batteries like the shorai. LiFePO4 batteries are extremely stable and do not blow up when overcharged. They can also be charged with a normal battery charger that doesn't have an automatic desulfation mode that can't be turned off. I ordered mine from RMATV for $170, looking up either Hayabusa or 400ex batteries brought me to the same model.

Wheelie have you had to charge yours any since you installed it? If so what did you use? I'm hoping it comes ready to go and I don't have to touch it for the next 5-10 years.

Wheelie
08-27-2012, 08:26 PM
Mine was ready to go out of the box, had 13.2 volts IIRC. I haven't needed to charge the battery yet. Every time I've started the quad, it spins over like the battery is fresh--puts the Yuasa to shame as far as shear cranking power.

400exwhipper
08-28-2012, 01:37 AM
Good to know there not liPo!