PDA

View Full Version : extended storage techniques, WD-40??

honda400ex2003
08-25-2012, 10:26 PM
Hey guys,

Im thinking about putting the 250r and the xr into extended storage mode for a while since i dont ride them and dont want to keep jacking with starting them up occasionally.

Anyone know any good ways to store engines without fuel in the tanks or fogging?

What i plan to do:

i plan to disconnect the tanks on them with them running and run WD-40 into the carbs direct until they die

drain all gas out of the tanks and add a little WD-40 to those as well to prevent rusting on the xr and just preserve some of the plastic in the trx

clean oil in gear cases of course

clean the air filters again to make sure they are clean, they are clean already but will go through them again.

add .5-1 oz of oil to the cylinders and kick over a few times to coat the wall

check the anti freeze once again on the r to get that for as cold as possible

Anyone have experience with WD-40 in an application like this? I will just by a gallon or two and use that for the carbs and stuff.

Will it come out of the carbs alright when i do want to start them again?

does WD-40 turn to varnish over time like gas does?

Im thinking that if i do store them like this, once i get my own garage and stuff, i will keep them this way and set my garage up how i want. they will be behind a plexiglass wall or something if possible so that they dont get dirty while in there.

they wont be anywhere thats not in a garage but they will be out in the garage for the winter as they are now. same thing i always do now for the winters.

they are basically in storage now with stabil and sea foam in the tanks but I still ride them a few times a summer. I just dont want to mess with them really for the time being. We might be moving out of our house later this fall and i want to make sure they will be ok if i have to leave them sit in an external storage building for a while.

thanks,
steve

JOHNDOE83
08-25-2012, 11:37 PM
Ive done this in the past, wd40 works but for short storage times.

Wd40 is a lube and protectant but still actually degreases stuff, so its good but not good for a lube or preventer. Wd40 will actually evaporate in a short period of time and not leave enough oil behind to stop corrosion.

The best stuff to use is a industrial strength silicone spray like power lube or regular silicone spray.

I thuroughly wash and clean and drain everything, add some extra oil in places where its needed, then soak the entire atv or motorcycle in the spray lube, let it dry then it will last for over a year easily.

If it gets dusty and dirty, it sprays off with a pressure cleaner when it comes out of retirement, everythings lubed and just needs gas and oil checked to ride again.

My stuff has been in a open shed for a year now and has no rust or weather damage.

250x_kyle
08-26-2012, 12:05 AM
we always use marvel mystery oil in the race car carbs but thats only for a few months out of the year.

JOHNDOE83
08-26-2012, 12:50 AM
here's a fun fact.

Did you know that marvels mystery oil started off for airplanes, they would mix it in the gas to prolong the life of the motor and make it run more effectively.

Thats why theres a propeller on the label :cool:

honda400ex2003
08-26-2012, 09:07 AM
good to know on the wd-40. I am going to look for some 2 stroke oil or 3 in 1 oil to fun through them. I also heard that the wd is quite hard on the reeds.

Thanks for the info guys!
steve

89trx250r
08-26-2012, 10:28 AM
I cant stress enough how good this stuff is...I take the same precaution as you over the winter with my 250r. I drain the tank and carb set it up on a stand and shes good for the winter. I spray my whole motor and swingarm with wd-40 tho just to keep everything fresh and with a slight layer of oil on it.

http://www.klotzlube.com/proddetail.asp?prod=KL-610_16oz&cat=4

quad2xtreme
08-26-2012, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by 89trx250r
I cant stress enough how good this stuff is...I take the same precaution as you over the winter with my 250r. I drain the tank and carb set it up on a stand and shes good for the winter. I spray my whole motor and swingarm with wd-40 tho just to keep everything fresh and with a slight layer of oil on it.

http://www.klotzlube.com/proddetail.asp?prod=KL-610_16oz&cat=4

I would think the stuff used for jetskis would work well too.

derekhonda
08-26-2012, 01:38 PM
You guys do way more than I do. I just clean everything up real good, change oil, fresh gas half full with a good amount of sea foam, run it for 10 minutes or so and good to go. Never had a problem.

honda400ex2003
08-26-2012, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the info guys! This will be for at least a couple of years I'm thinking if I decide to do it.

I'll check out the klotz stuff and see how it goes :). Thanks again!

Steve

CJM
08-26-2012, 03:26 PM
I just wash mine off, spray it with some heavy silicone and put a good oz of 2 stroke oil in the engine. Never had an issue.

Ruby Soho
08-26-2012, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
here's a fun fact.

Did you know that marvels mystery oil started off for airplanes, they would mix it in the gas to prolong the life of the motor and make it run more effectively.

Thats why theres a propeller on the label :cool:

anything aviation related is good stuff.

honda400ex2003
08-26-2012, 08:38 PM
thanks again for the info guys!

well i ended up doing them both today after not really planning on it.

ran 2 stroke oil into both carbs and put oil in the cylinders and rolled them over slowly a few times to get everything lubed up well.

the 250r i had running so i ran oil into the carb till it died and such

drained both tanks all the way and put a bit of pneumatic tool oil in them to coat the walls a bit to finish them up.

Thanks for the info on not using WD-40 and using stroke oil.

Steve