PDA

View Full Version : Pellet rifles ? (please no airsoft or paintball replies)

tri5ron
08-24-2012, 05:40 PM
Just curious if there are any members here who enjoy shooting air rifles / Pellet guns?
I'm not trying to knock the paintball and airsoft sports,...
I'm just interested in hearing what other members have to say about their Pellet Guns.

I have a few different types of "Adult/Magnum" air rifles, to go along with all my "powder burners", and very much enjoy them.
Being able to quietly shoot in the (city) back yard without angering the neighbors is pretty cool and a lot of fun.

I am considering stepping up into the next "class" of Air Rifles,... and buying my first PCP type. (Pre Charged Pneumatic). They offer alot of power, high velocity, impressive FPE, and absolutely INCREDIBLE accuracy, as well as pretty respectable range.
(but yeah,... they are pretty expensive too).
Specifically, I'm looking at a Benjamin Marauder. Probably in .22 cal, and probably having a custom "tune" done to it by a professional Airgunners Gunsmith.
I will eventually be looking for a night scope/ IR scope, and either a bipod or bench bags.

Primary use of the rifle will be for "night time ratting".

My chicken coop is about 30 yards from my patio table,... and I think it would be a blast to just sit at the patio, cold brew in hand,... and do so night time "rat population control" around my coop.

Secondary use of the rifle will be a pretty darn cool Desert Camping Toy,...
(and I can"t wait to see the look on my buddies faces), when they see it drop a jackrabbit or gopher at 80 to 100 yards.

So,...
What do you guys have ?
What type, (springer - pump up - gas spring - Co2 - PCP) brands, models, caliber, etc.
What do you use them for ? Small game hunting ? Paper punching ?
Hows the accuracy and range of your particular rifle?

I'm pretty darn well set on getting a Marauder, and if anyone here has any experience with one, I'd love to hear about it. I may be buying new, I may be buying used, I haven't really decided yet on that.
Right now, I'm just doing my research, but want to buy one very soon.

(yes I've already been all over the more popular Airgunners websites/forums) and i have learned a lot there. I just want to see if any members here are into it.

Thanks for any replies.
Ron

HondaRacing83
08-24-2012, 07:19 PM
i had a pump up crossman to blast birds with, got tired of pumping it one night, ran down to dunhams and bought a gamo hornet for $120. on sale with 20% off. excellant gun, the gamo stood out to me because all the others were made in china, the gamo was made in spain. it shoots 1000fps with basic lead ammo and 1200 fps with pba ammo which is what a .22 rifle shoots. Mines only a .177 caliber though. Its very qiuet, comes with a 4x power scope. Just a standard break barrel. Synthetic stock, ive killed geese, rabbits, a fox, numberous birds and squirrels and chipmunks. i like how benjamins are made in like the UK or something but i think they are pretty high priced

CJM
08-24-2012, 07:37 PM
Benjamins are some of the finest air rifles you can get and what I would buy if i was in the market.

I have a pump crosman 2200 magnum .22, its pretty dang accurate and very powerful. Drawback is its a pump and single shot but it is 25 years old (was my grandfathers) and still works great.

JOHNDOE83
08-25-2012, 07:06 AM
Im a fan of the night stalker, its not high powered but great for small game. Atleast if you miss the target you wont kill a chicken or ricochete and hit the kids or the family car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0jhplK6IxM

slightlybent47
08-26-2012, 05:16 PM
I got my brother one a few years ago, made by Ruger in a .177.
It’s a single pump break over; it’s as loud as a .22 short.
It’s heaver then my .22 as well. It shoots good though!