PDA

View Full Version : programer for truck

russellsroost31
08-24-2012, 03:21 PM
hey guys ive been thinking about a gettin a programer for my truckits a 96 chevy k1500
what kind of results would i see out of instaling one

Ruby Soho
08-24-2012, 07:01 PM
nothing.

CJM
08-24-2012, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
nothing.

Exactly.

Diesel trucks see a gain b/c they are restricted from the factory as well as some newer gas trucks.

Your trucks to old to really take advantage of anything like a chip. Shift kit in the trans and the proper gears for the tires will do wonders.

honda400ex2003
08-24-2012, 09:39 PM
our 03 burb gained 2-4 mpg running a mileage tune from super chip. the moel is a cortex.

i have 2 vins on mine so i did the burb and my h2.

i run a 91 octane tune in my h2 and have been happy with it

tunes for tires, gears, shift pressures, shift points, rev limit, and speed limit along with checking and clearing codes.

im not sure if the cortex works on a 96 and dont think it does in the 2950 model but theres probably a different cortex that will work.

id buy one again for another truck. my buddy has the same in his 2000 silverado 1500 and has had good luck also.

steve

russellsroost31
08-25-2012, 11:45 AM
i have 373 axle gearing nd i was looking at this little switch that you hook in your truck that makes it shift stiffer or really stiffer
oh im doin a cold air intake and headers in the next couple years coldair intake in the next couple months

chucked
08-25-2012, 12:42 PM
Have you ever seen dyno charts? Such a teeny tiny difference, guaranteed to not feel it

CJM
08-25-2012, 03:17 PM
You wont gain zilch with the programmer, it isnt going to control your shift points like you want-a shift kit will.

The headers will also make a good power difference, as will a good muffler.

Also cold air intake is anything but cold unless you somehow route it from the outside. Even the ones in a boxed off area pull hot air from the engine. About all it does is make noise.

honda400ex2003
08-25-2012, 03:33 PM
30 hp isn't much by idled with just the programmer but with an exhaust and intake it helps out. You can feel that difference.

It all depends on the engine though.
Steve

TacicalRedneck
08-25-2012, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Exactly.

Diesel trucks see a gain b/c they are restricted from the factory as well as some newer gas trucks.

Your trucks to old to really take advantage of anything like a chip. Shift kit in the trans and the proper gears for the tires will do wonders.

Yep, a lot of chips i see for gas trucks, people tell me their rip-offs.... You gain a little of something good, and lose a lot of something else....

Now on a diesel, the main reaon is - people just want more fuel... (black smoke :D) adds some power, but a lotta people don't like that soot....

Ruby Soho
08-25-2012, 07:04 PM
theres alot more to the diesel chip. a GOOD custom tuned chip, is alot of time spent on timing, fuel, air, oil, more then just adding fuel. a well tuned diesel wont smoke like a train. when you put huge injectors in it, than yeah its going to pour smoke out but thats not the goal.

you can make SERIOUS gains with custom tunes for diesels. not so much the older cummins but newer trucks is getting insane. i do believe you can see over 600hp out of a 6.4 ford with tunes and small supporting mods. an old 7.3 will only see a max of maybe 320-350 hp on the hottest tunes in a superduty...thats if the hpop and all that jazz is healthy too.

gas engines though, not happening. its a different ball game. though you can tune a gas engine very well but its not the same concept of a DI diesel

TacicalRedneck
08-25-2012, 07:07 PM
i have a 12 valve, the only (halfway simple) thing i can do is add bigger injectors and grind the fuel plate.... so... lol mind if i smoke?

hehehe :rolleyes:

Ruby Soho
08-25-2012, 07:20 PM
12v's are easy to make power! cheap too. if my superduty comes back with alot more than im expecting it will be getting a 12valver. have to love them..even if your not a dodge guy

:eek2: