PDA

View Full Version : HotCam Owners??

blacknblue#2
08-23-2012, 05:50 AM
Hey guys. We got an 06 LTR that come into the shop. The boy just recently bought it so we dont know much about it. The head is engraved "RJ Racing" so whoever RJ is he had his hands in the ports lol. But it came in the shop as being underpowered and had an engine noise all of which have been this way since he bought it. Said he just thought the engine noise was a 450 thing when he bought it and didnt realize the power he was missing until he rode another stock LTR. So we pull the valve cover off to find a set of hotcams...With the Flywheel timing mark lined up and the motor at TDC the cam lobes were pointing exhaust at 4:00 o clock and intake at 9:0 o clock (pointing eachother) Automatically i said thats wrong. The previous guy totlly avoided both timing mars on the cam gears and just had one mark on each cam lined up with the top of the head in between the cams. So we leave the motor at TDC. put the cam lobes at roughly 11:00 and 2:00 (pointing away from eachother)..... now the quad has good power and is qieter but still not quiet... The valves were adjusted and the timing chain seemed perfect....At an idle this motor still has a little noise. Not as bad as it was but kinda has that sewing machine sound. We have a KFX with hotcams that has ALMOST the same sound but i wanted to check with some fellow LTR guys, Do your hotcams have a little noise with them??

gimp419
08-25-2012, 07:02 AM
Not sure on the hot cams for the LTR but on the LTZ there is a one pin difference in the timing between the hot cams and OEM. I would think if this "RJ" didn't degree the cams then the bike was out of time and your noise could be a bent valve. Doesn't take much of a bend to make noise and they will run just not great with a bent valve. Be sure the cam chain isn't worn either as those tend to make a racket when they get some wear to them.

jbowhunter98
09-02-2012, 08:11 AM
they line up just like stock cams do count 15 pics from dot to dot