PDA

View Full Version : 416 rebuild giving me more problems. w/ video

mitchconley
08-22-2012, 01:01 PM
Still having problems with erratic rpms, this video shows how it will rev up higher than idle when you pull the clutch in..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnlfKGlfmxU&feature=plcp

then this video shows the rpms high then coming back down when you give it gas..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZnzqTro-So&feature=plcp

please somebody help me with this, im beyond frustrated and have no idea what my next step is. when it first started happening my first thought was vacuum leak and i fixed an o-ring that i thought was causing the problem but that obviously didnt fix it

JOHNDOE83
08-22-2012, 03:48 PM
What did you do to seal the hot start?

mitchconley
08-22-2012, 04:05 PM
the what? my mechanical experience is limited but as far as I know 400ex's dont have a hot start button..?

jman7290
08-22-2012, 04:11 PM
I think your throttle is hanging up, check the cable for smooth operation and make sure your cable is ran properly and has no kinks. Also check the slide in the carb and make sure it is clean and closing all of the way.

mitchconley
08-22-2012, 04:20 PM
i actually replaced my slide during the rebuild so I could check on it to makes sure i put it together right but it should be good cause its brand new. ill also check on the cable, i didnt really mess with it. it doesnt run like this all the time either. it will do it for awhile, then stop, then do it more, then stop again. like when the bike gets hot it will run like that then cool down and stop.

jman7290
08-22-2012, 04:39 PM
Mine does that to, but not as bad. I got an Edelbrock carb and it is a POS! It gets hung up all of the time and I have to bump the throttle to get it to return to normal idle. I want to get a 450 carb in the future, just can't afford it right now.

CJM
08-22-2012, 04:56 PM
You have a 450r carb right? If you didnt seal the hotstart up you will get a vac leak no matter what,.

mitchconley
08-22-2012, 07:02 PM
no its stock carb

CJM
08-23-2012, 06:16 PM
Ok lets back up a second:

You need to check for vac leaks, hoses that are brittle, hard or cracked. Look for leaks at the airboots, the air filter, etc. Somewhere somehow your introducing air into the bike and the idles going crazy.

Also are you sure you put the carb back together right?

JOHNDOE83
08-24-2012, 06:47 PM
For some reason I assumed it was a 450r carb :confused:

I dunno why....lol.