PDA

View Full Version : hare scramble taylorville il

GAZ-V-21
08-19-2012, 08:00 PM
Was wondering if you guys could give me some tips for hare scramble racing? I'm doing this Sept 30th in taylorville il at south fork dirt riders the trails don't have much rocks but can be pretty rutted and muddy at times. Maybe some timber to ride over but other than that pretty flat. One thing I was wondering is tire pressures. Any other tips would be very much appreciated thanks guys.

dxcody
08-20-2012, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by GAZ-V-21
Was wondering if you guys could give me some tips for hare scramble racing? I'm doing this Sept 30th in taylorville il at south fork dirt riders the trails don't have much rocks but can be pretty rutted and muddy at times. Maybe some timber to ride over but other than that pretty flat. One thing I was wondering is tire pressures. Any other tips would be very much appreciated thanks guys.

Tire pressure around 4psi. That way it will ride alot smoother since it sounds like a rough track.

TAKE YOUR TIME! Harescrambles are LONGGGGG races.

What class you running?

Also, may not help if you dont have suspension, but whats your ground clearance set up as?
If you know it ruts out and is going to be a little muddy, than set it up just a little higher than average.

That way, when the mud packs into your frame and all that stuff, even though it will lower it back down, it will be back down to normal.

If it is just a little muddy, than it will be perfect. You want a little bit of mud IMO because it helps with cornering.

The first lap... OBSERVE!
Look for hot lines, easier ways than the leader, etc. About half way through the race, if you feel comfortable with knowing the track, and your feeling good energy wise, start picking up the pase.

I gotta tell ya, the worst thing that newer guys do, that i can see, is they make a train, of follow the leader, and that causes you to miss alot of the fun parts of the track.

2001400exrida
08-20-2012, 08:09 AM
taylorville has a fun scramble course. There's not many hills as mentioned but it's a decent course. I was there earlier this year and did a hare scramble, as dxcody mentioned you've got to look for the good lines. THe trains suck and i hate getting behind people.

Pray for rain, because even though we got a couple inches around here last week it's still so dry and dusty out. I was riding this weekend and the rain helped a little but it was still real dusty through the open areas.

Have a good set of goggles with tear offs or roll offs, because in the long races there's nothing worse than having to wipe your goggles constantly.

GAZ-V-21
08-20-2012, 09:05 AM
Thanks guys. Your right about taylorville being pretty dusty I ride those trails a lot but never raced in them. I was there yesterday and there was muddy spots then dusty spots.

2001400exrida
08-20-2012, 09:54 AM
did you happen to notice if the TT/flat track was prepped at all? i've been trying to contact them about that track so i can get some practice in, but they don't seem to respond to my inquiries. Last time i was there it was washed out and pretty rutted.

GAZ-V-21
08-20-2012, 10:09 AM
I rode on Tt for a couple laps it was bumpy

400man
08-20-2012, 12:22 PM
one thing I still have trouble is getting arm pump and pacing myself. in the last gncc race i did back in april, I got 5th out of like 30 guys in the class, which is the best Ive ever done. but I did make seveal mistakes and tagged a few trees cause was my arms were so tired I coudnt turn fast enough in the tight sections.

and if you do get in one of the "trains", I always stay a few bike lenghts back so that if the guy in front gets stuck or stops, I have room to cut around and pass em.