PDA

View Full Version : HMF exhaust info.

12-10-2001, 03:34 PM
well ive been looking to buy a slip-on exhaust for my 400 and ive narrowed it down to 2 pipes. the T4 and HMF. at first i thought hmf was a no name cheap brand but i just found that they have been making superbike pipes for a while. i checked out their website and e-mailed them and they say that the slip-on 400ex pipe puts out 4 hp on the bottom and carries through the entire powerband. the T4 is awesome, but... the power dives after peak hp which causes you to have to shift sooner(or so says dirt wheels) but hmf carries the power. so i think i might be brave and try out one of these hmf pipes. if anyone else has any useful info id be glad to hear it!later
-the reason i want all low and mid is for woods and mx where it really counts.
-no white bros crap cause its low end is TERRIBLE
www.hmfengineering.com

keep it real:macho

Guy400
12-10-2001, 06:22 PM
We put the HMF slip-on on my cousin's 400EX (Fourstrokefan) along with a K&N and Stage 2 Dynojet kit. The power gains on the bottom and mid were huge over the stocker and there was a nice gain on the top but you could definitely tell this pipe makes more power in the first 2/3's of the RPM range. In that ATVsport article where they did exhaust shootout the HMF was in the top 5 in horsepower and it costs about 1/2 the money. It's a nice sounding exhaust too. It's a relatively low rumble at idle and has a pretty nice bark when you're on the gas. When I finally get around to piping my Raptor HMF is the company I'm going with. In my personal opinion you'd have to be nuts to spend twice the money on any other pipe because you're not going to get twice the performance. Top 5 pipe and $169 price tag??? It's not even a decision in my book.

max400EX
12-10-2001, 10:20 PM
How well does the full system do on a modded motor? Does it restrict like the Big Gun?

Guy400
12-11-2001, 05:19 AM
To be honest, I'm not really sure. What I did find interesting was that, if memory serves me corrct, the HMF slip-on made more power than the Big Gun full system.

redrider ex
12-11-2001, 07:12 AM
does any one know the decible rating the hmf pipe puts out or do you know if it is loader or softer than white bro. or big gun
I don't want to be too loud and make the people that live close by mad i also have a track in the back yard. redrider ex

Guy400
12-11-2001, 09:06 AM
I've never heard the White Bros. pipe so I can't help you there but it is a little louder than a FMF Megamax II if you've ever heard one of those.

12-11-2001, 01:34 PM
thanks guy, you help out so much i dont know how anyone can diss on you..?? well that just pushed me over the edge and im sure im gonna get the HMF. thanks guys!! later

keep it real:devil

I Hate Posers:grr

Stunz
12-11-2001, 01:59 PM
Does the HMF have a sprark arrestor?

Guy400
12-11-2001, 02:39 PM
Yes, you can order the HMF with a spark arrestor.

12-11-2001, 08:12 PM
Hey there guys and gals. I see that my cousin (Guy660R) has been talking to you about the HMF pipe. I have one and love it. Everything he has told you is true. I saw that someone was looking at getting the T-4. Well a buddy of mine has the T-4, not only does my pipe sound a lot better, when we raced our bikes mine was faster every time. Since I have put my pipe on 2 of my buddies have put them on their EX's and been VERY happy as well. As you heard from Guy, he is going to put one on his Raptor. Trust me, you won't be disappointed!