PDA

View Full Version : How do I know when its time to rebuild the bottom end?

ballzdeep38
08-18-2012, 09:54 AM
I have owned my R for about 7-8 years now. The first few years the bike was ridden about a dozen times a year. about 5 years ago I rebuilt to top end. Since then it only gets ridden 2-5 times a year. Most of that riding is pretty easy riding with my wife. I have never rebuilt the bottom end and have recently started getting more into riding in the dunes at Glamis. As im getting everything ready for the next season, is there any signs that would tell me its time to rebuild the bottom end? will there be any sounds i can heard when its running/ idling? Will I have to split the cases to even find out?

DnB_racing
08-18-2012, 01:19 PM
you can check some from just removing the top end,
you can check the amount of movement on the lower rod bearing,

keep clean oil in the gears, and just be aware for any noises at all,

me if in doubt I split it... but in reality you sound like youve got low hours...its up to you ....DO YOU TRUST IT???

if any doubt fix before its more money and destroys parts that are hard to come by...

if in doubt take the part out.!!

ballzdeep38
08-18-2012, 01:30 PM
IMO it does have relatively low hours from the time I have owned it. However, when I rebuilt the top end, the piston that was in it was an ART piston. I was told they ORIGINALLY came with ART pistons. So Im pretty sure the bottom end hasnt been rebuilt in quite some time (if ever). To answer your question, everytime I take it out I trust it less and less. So maybe it is a good idea then.

Is there any special tools I will need to do this?

87TRX310R
08-18-2012, 02:59 PM
The most important tool would be a case splitter, a crankshaft remover and installer tool, a flywheel puller. The crankshaft tool is optional but makes it alot easier oh and you should always have a leakdown tester.