PDA

View Full Version : Airbox/EHS Lid question

Stickman400
08-17-2012, 11:40 PM
Anyone on here running an airbox lifter kit and an EHS Racing lid? I've got a long travel Fox Podium in the back and it hits my airbox so I had to lift it with a Houser lifter kit, but I want to add an EHS lid for a little better protection, but will it fit? Because that lifter kit puts it awfully close to the seat pan. If it doesn't then that's fine, I was just wanting a little more protection than just the Outerwear on the filter that I have now.

D Bergstrom
08-18-2012, 09:20 AM
Can't help you with the lid question, but Outerwears does make an airbox cover. (I have an 04/05 450R, but pretty sure they make them for the 06 and up models also.) Basically, it is just a piece of outerwears fabric that has elastic around the edges and it wraps around the top of the airbox, so it does not add any height to the airbox. I use them when I race and it helps alot with keeping dirt off the filter. Might be worth looking into.

Doug

CJM
08-18-2012, 02:34 PM
^ thats the exact thing I wanted to get. Not sure if the lid of the 06 is different than the 04-05 but it isnt flat like an EX lid, its raised and has 2 different raised areas. Making an EHS lid setup pretty tricky.

Im buying the elastic kind when I get a chance as it should work the same.

Stickman400
08-18-2012, 11:56 PM
Alright well I talked to EHS and they said most people take their lid off after installing a lifter kit, but I ordered one anyway to try it out. I'll just return it and get what you guys are talking about if it doesn't fit. Thanks

finsteratv
08-19-2012, 12:08 AM
You can also Velcro cut up panty hoes...dune buggy guys use them in the sand and I'm thinking about sewing up a couple covers..cheap peace of mind on top of an outerwears!

Stickman400
08-21-2012, 12:23 PM
Yeah, the lid didn't fit. I guess I'll be getting an Outerwears cover for it. Anybody want an EHS lid for an '06+ 450R with a black filter and red plate? I'm gunna send it back tomorrow if nobody does. Just throwin' it out there.

Stickman400
09-09-2012, 04:06 PM
Well I got one of those Outerwears airbox covers. Fairly easy to install. You just cut and stick 3 pieces of velcro around the front of the box and then stick the cover to the velcro and then stretch it around the rear of the box. It's deff. not 100% waterproof around the edges, but it's deff. not coming off and it's very tight and should seal nearly all the dirt out. I can post pics if anyone is wanting to buy one. I deff. recommend this if you're wanting alittle more ptotection from running an open box or if you are running a lifter kit and can't run a lid like I am.

Should I re-jet for this or should it be fine? It's only going to make it run slightly richer won't it? Since it's just blocking off some of the extra air? It's already jetted perfectly for running an open lid. It still runs perfect since I've installed it.

CJM
09-09-2012, 06:11 PM
I got a filter that has elastic over the entire box.

I dont like it all that much, total pain to get it on and it doesnt seem all that secure.

I think Im gonna take the lid and buy a blank filter and see if I can work a way to make my own.