PDA

View Full Version : Tires not seating properly

Drfat400ex
08-17-2012, 05:47 PM
My new itp's are seated on the quad good when it's sitting, then once you get into about 3rd if you look down at the rim you can see right inside it! The side of the tire is about 1/4 inch from the lip of the rim, I tried different rims and the same thing happened, they really don't look very wide for 11s either, I've tried blowing them up to about 30 with soapy water all around and it still does the same thing. Anyone else ever have this happen? I'm running about 4psi in them.

CJM
08-17-2012, 06:37 PM
Sounds liek the tires arent seated on the beads right.

Remove the valve stem core and inflate them suckers like crazy. You should hear a loud POP.

Failing that, some starting fluid and a match or torch-be careful!

Longdong
08-17-2012, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Sounds liek the tires arent seated on the beads right.

Remove the valve stem core and inflate them suckers like crazy. You should hear a loud POP.

Failing that, some starting fluid and a match or torch-be careful!

Use caution!!!

CJM
08-17-2012, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Longdong
Use caution!!!

its funny when they blow and bounce like 10ft in the air tho :D

on the rocks
08-17-2012, 08:09 PM
nothing like seating the beads with ether lol.

the tire should have a max psi. that is what it can be safely inflated to, to seat beads. as said above a loud pop should be heard. dont be shy with the lube either, no such thing as too much lube lol

and i have bead locks and run 2.5 to 3.5 psi and i thought that was pretty low. 4 psi on a non bead lock rim might be too low. im not sure though. what do other people run?

CJM
08-17-2012, 08:19 PM
I run 3.5-4 on my stocker backs and 5.5 on the front stockers.

Stickman400
08-17-2012, 10:05 PM
I run 2.5 in my rear Razr 2s on ITP Bajas. If I go any higher it makes them wear the centers down and leaves the edges brand new. Drfat do you a pic of the tire on the rim the way it sits? That way we'll know if it's seated or not.

400man
08-18-2012, 12:12 AM
is the rim too wide for the tire?

Drfat400ex
08-18-2012, 09:05 AM
It says 35 on the side, and that's what I blew it up to and used lots of lube. They are 20x11-9, so they shouldn't be too narrow, unless they were somehow mislabled. I guess I'll just keep trying, what do you guys use for lube?

400exwhipper
08-18-2012, 09:31 AM
Tighten a ratchet strap around the tire, use lots of lube, and 40 psi won't hurt either, that should do it, so would ether but that's sketchy lol

on the rocks
08-18-2012, 11:31 AM
^^^ that is a good idea to use the ratchet strap to force out the beads to air up. i think its airing up correctly though. just not staying on the bead.

Drfat400ex did you install the tires your self? and ripping noises on install? maybe the wires that run through the bread of the tire snapped, allowing the bead to stretch easily on and off the seating point of the rim.

^Thats a slim chance but could happen. i really think some soapy water and airing them things up good will fix your problem.

400man
08-18-2012, 11:46 AM
ive used old motor oil and a old paint brush for lube. just slop it all over the tire beads and rim where it seats. ive done this with tires that leak air all around the bead and most of the time it fixes it. when you are airing up the tire, if you dont hear 2 loud pops, the beads are not seated over the little ridges on the rims.

hondaREX
08-18-2012, 01:30 PM
Starter fluid and lighter is my go to method. Great to have on the trail too in case someone comes off the bead.

I also use a strap and I pull the valve stem core and use my airline quick connect and blast air, uninterrupted into the tire. With the quick connect I have, the valve stem opens the valve in the quick connect and air fills the tire very quickly. Unlike a chuck that fills it slowly.

Check the tire bead and make sure, inch by inch, that the cords aren't broken. They will be soft or wavy if a cord is broken. Also try to fill the tire as much as you have and fill where the bead and rim meet with water and find the leak. Mark it and check the bead where it leaked with the tire off the bead.

Drfat400ex
08-19-2012, 04:07 PM
They finally went on, I took some tire irons and stretched them half way off the rim then put them back on and then used really soapy water and blew em up to 40 and I guess that little stretch just did it because they both went on after that, I tried the ratchet strap but it didn't work. Yes I put them on myself too, never had this problem before but I guess that's what you do.

on the rocks
08-19-2012, 04:21 PM
glad you go them on there!

CJM
08-19-2012, 04:24 PM
FWIW: if it says not to inflate over xx pressure t seat beads I usually ignore it. So long as you dont go nuts its fine.

Drfat400ex
08-19-2012, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by CJM
FWIW: if it says not to inflate over xx pressure t seat beads I usually ignore it. So long as you dont go nuts its fine. How much is "going nuts" lol

CJM
08-19-2012, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Drfat400ex
How much is "going nuts" lol

Meh Ive had 50lbs in a tire to seat it with no ill affects. Its not like its gonna be in there for awhile, its like seconds. Plus no valve core means it comes out super fast.

Trust me, atv tires aint that flimsy. Had one not want to cut off and we tried everything from a sawzall to an air hammer with a chisel bit to cut the bead off and it took awhile but we got it! Goes to show you damn suckers are tough, huh?

chronicsmoke
08-20-2012, 10:55 AM
If I can't get them to seat that 1/2" to be flush with the lip of the rim I fill it to the max and throw it up and let it land where the bead hasn't seat.. Works well and you can work on your b-ball skills.:p

01 400EXer
08-20-2012, 11:42 AM
I had the same issues with a set of ITP quadcross tires. I had to make a device that allowed me to blast air into the tire fast with out the valve stem core in. This was the only way I could get it done because they basically need a lot of air fast to pop the bead. I will try to take a picture of it and post it for you. Tire shops use them and all parts can be had at WalMart inexpensively.

chronicsmoke
08-20-2012, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by 01 400EXer
I had the same issues with a set of ITP quadcross tires. I had to make a device that allowed me to blast air into the tire fast with out the valve stem core in. This was the only way I could get it done because they basically need a lot of air fast to pop the bead. I will try to take a picture of it and post it for you. Tire shops use them and all parts can be had at WalMart inexpensively.

Please do. :)

Stickman400
08-20-2012, 11:56 AM
You're not talking about a bead cheeta are you? They force air around the edge of the rim, not into the valve stem. But they may have one that does that too, not sure.

Drfat400ex
08-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Anybody ever tried the propane tanks full of compressed air with the 45 release handle on them and the bent pipe? Probly sounds really stupid lol but we use that for tractors out in the field and stuff and never really thought of it till now

Scro
08-21-2012, 12:55 PM
Anybody ever tried the propane tanks full of compressed air with the 45 release handle on them and the bent pipe? Probly sounds really stupid lol but we use that for tractors out in the field and stuff and never really thought of it till now

That basically the same thing as the bead cheeta mentioned above.

CJM
08-21-2012, 12:56 PM

Thats what a cheetah is. basically an air tank with about 100psi in there and a nozzle you aim at the bead.

To mount tires i generally use soapy water. But not just any soap will do, dawn works the best.

Drfat400ex
08-21-2012, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Thats what a cheetah is. basically an air tank with about 100psi in there and a nozzle you aim at the bead.

To mount tires i generally use soapy water. But not just any soap will do, dawn works the best. Haha yeah thought it would be the same, I use this stuff called bead silk mixed with water and it seems to work pretty good.

cheater13
08-22-2012, 10:26 AM
My 4 snows took about 3 and a half hours to seat on the stocker rims. We used dish soap and a ratchet strap. I'm taking them somewhere when i switch the rims next time. :p