PDA

View Full Version : Piston Ring Question

dxcody
08-17-2012, 08:40 AM
Searched this whole site and google, and couldnt find my answer.

My piston, Cylinder, rings, and top end gasket kit came in the other day, i started putting it together this morning, and i cant get the bottom ring (compression ring right?) to fit into the cylinder.

The one with the ridges. It just wont fit. I dont think you are suppose to shave that ring down any are you?

Its pissing me off.

Please someone post with experience, dont just tell me what you *think* is right, so it wont cost me alot of time and another gasket kit, plus new rings.
Not trying to sound like a d*ck.

AtvKid4Eva
08-17-2012, 09:55 AM
If it is a wiseco piston, i do remember reading in the instruction sheet they send you that you may need to file down one of the rings, im not sure if its that ring because i dont have the sheet in front of me. Ive built several 400 motors and have never once has to file down a ring. They take some work to get into the cylinder, but they usually go

dxcody
08-17-2012, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by AtvKid4Eva
If it is a wiseco piston, i do remember reading in the instruction sheet they send you that you may need to file down one of the rings, im not sure if its that ring because i dont have the sheet in front of me. Ive built several 400 motors and have never once has to file down a ring. They take some work to get into the cylinder, but they usually go

Well the thing is, its that very bottom wavy ring.

I have never had any trouble getting it to slide into the cylinder, but this one is not wanting to go.

ive put alot of pistons into cylinders and never had any trouble out of it like this.

AtvKid4Eva
08-17-2012, 10:24 AM
yout talking about the oil ring expander? Its the ones that goes between the two oil rails? shaped like this : /\/\/\/\/\/\/\ ?

xcracer416
08-17-2012, 10:47 AM
in your instruction sheet it will tell you the order of the compression rings. yes you are supposed to check you compression rings for the proper ring gap.

your two solid thick rings are compression rings.

the two thin rings are oil rings and the wrinkled ring is the oil expander ring.

the order from the top of the piston down will go like this (remember to stagger the ring gaps): TOP compression ring, compression ring, oil ring, oil expander, and then oil ring again.

your two oil rings are in the same grove with the oil expander inbetween them.

stagger those also.

get a manual, if you have one read it. it is step by step instructions.

i bought a ring compressor from snap on for about 30 bucks that is a plier style that works wonders.

are you doing this with the piston going through the bottom or the top of the cylinder?

dxcody
08-17-2012, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by AtvKid4Eva
yout talking about the oil ring expander? Its the ones that goes between the two oil rails? shaped like this : /\/\/\/\/\/\/\ ?

Yes that one. It fits if i take the two rails out.

It fits if i just have one rail with it. but for some reason it doesnt seat right with both rails in it.

AtvKid4Eva
08-17-2012, 10:53 AM
are you positive you are using the oil rails and dont accidently have the thicker upper or lower ring mixed in there?

Stickman400
08-17-2012, 10:54 AM
I had the same problem when I assembled mine. You have to put the oil rail rings on in a certain order for them to pop in. I think you put the top oil rail ring ABOVE the gap, then slide the expander ring on, then the bottom oil rail ring and then slide the top rail ring back down in the groove and it pops in. I can't remember if that's how I did it but it something like that. Just mess around with the rings and try to get them to pop in place.

Stickman400
08-17-2012, 10:55 AM
DON'T GET MAD AND BREAK A RING THOUGH!

dxcody
08-17-2012, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Stickman400
DON'T GET MAD AND BREAK A RING THOUGH!

DAMMMMMMNNNNITTT! I did!!!

Jk. Thank you stickman! Idk what i did, but it worked.

I started by doing what you said, and then just kept playing with it, and finally got it..

Its nice having someone on here, who has had all the issues i have.. Most people didnt have a clue what i was talking about lol, which is understandable. I mean its not really a common problem. But anyways, thank you stickman, and everyone else.

I got it! :D

CJM
08-17-2012, 04:06 PM
Ya I come late to the party lol and miss all the fun.

But yes, the two upper rings can only go in the slots they are made for-they wont fit in eachothers slots.

Then its oil ring, oil expander ring ^^^^^ and oil ring. Make sure to stagger the gaps.

Also I hope you use a ring compressor, it makes the job soooo much easier.

dxcody
08-17-2012, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Ya I come late to the party lol and miss all the fun.

But yes, the two upper rings can only go in the slots they are made for-they wont fit in eachothers slots.

Then its oil ring, oil expander ring ^^^^^ and oil ring. Make sure to stagger the gaps.

Also I hope you use a ring compressor, it makes the job soooo much easier.

If by ring compressor you mean, hands... Yep i used one!!!

:) lol I dont do this often enough to use one really.

CJM
08-17-2012, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by dxcody
If by ring compressor you mean, hands... Yep i used one!!!

:) lol I dont do this often enough to use one really.

Well thats part of the problem then lol. I did it with my hands as well too it doesnt work nearly as good as the tool.

Tools like 15 bucks at pepboys. You lube it and the cylinder up, line it up and smack it in.