PDA

View Full Version : Rear Brake Pads

400exJOE
12-10-2001, 03:06 PM
I AM IN NEED FOR SOME NEW REAR BRAKE PADS. WHAT KINDS ARE GOOD AND HOW MUCH? ALSO, HOW BAD A JOB IS IT TO CHANGE THEM?

mikeboone
12-10-2001, 04:25 PM
The front and rear use the exact same pad. I went w/ Vesrah when I changed. Havent tried them out yet but they are $30 a set---it only takes a few minutes to change them---DO NOT pay dealer prices--do them yourself w/ a friend. MB:cool:

4punksdad
12-10-2001, 04:36 PM
i paid around 25.00 for stock replacement pads from my local dealer. they lasted longer than my EBC organic pads which were the same price.

they are a piece of cake to change.

1. remove reservior cap
2. loosen 2 bolts that hold the pads into caliper
3. loosen parking brake assembly ALL the way out @ the back of the caliper
4. remove 2 bolts holding caliper to rotor
5. remove pads
6. squeeze piston ALL the way back into caliper with either channel locks or a "C" clamp
7. replace with new pads

reverse steps........and leave parking brake assembly loose so as not to prematurely wear out new pads.
hope this helps

RideRed400EX
12-11-2001, 11:24 AM
I would suggest that between steps 5 and 6 that you crack the bleeder. Forcing the piston back when brakes are under pressure will force direct fluid back into the system. Also, opening the bleeder will make it easier to push back the cyliner.

BE SURE TO CLOSE THE BLEEDER BEFORE RELEASING THE PRESSURE ON THE PISTON - AIR IN BRAKES = VERY BAD

400exBro
12-11-2001, 04:58 PM
so you are saying that ebc brakes suck....
Here in Canada the ebcs cost 35$ and 70$ for the honda ones...
so your saying i should pay almost twice as much for a barke pad if they are the same .....

Also is the company braking do they make good brakes i read that some pros use them???
thanks
400exbro

4punksdad
12-11-2001, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by RideRed400EX
I would suggest that between steps 5 and 6 that you crack the bleeder. Forcing the piston back when brakes are under pressure will force direct fluid back into the system. Also, opening the bleeder will make it easier to push back the cyliner.

BE SURE TO CLOSE THE BLEEDER BEFORE RELEASING THE PRESSURE ON THE PISTON - AIR IN BRAKES = VERY BAD

I guess that is another way to do it, however...........there is no need to open the bleeder since in step 1 the reservior cap should have been removed which allows the fluid to go back into the reservior where it belongs.

MOFO
12-12-2001, 06:20 AM
I do my brakes exactly as 3 punks does. Been doing them for years like this...never had to open the bleeder.

Eric