PDA

View Full Version : suzuki rm125 need help

ryan1122
08-15-2012, 07:28 PM
well i was just wondering what you do after you put in a new piston and rings into a rm125 (1991).

like for example, can i just get on it and start riding right away??

or do i have to let it run or something? if so for how long?

and if theres anything else i should know, then please let me know.

thanks!

ryan1122
08-15-2012, 08:02 PM
anyone gunna help?

finsteratv
08-15-2012, 08:34 PM
I say go for a ride to let the, seat and everything..let it warm up well too..google it and there are many different ways. Pick the one you like best

HondaRacing83
08-15-2012, 09:01 PM
dont immediatly beat the **** out of it, or vice versa, i forget haha search

CSR400EX
08-15-2012, 09:28 PM
ive always gave my bikes a few heat cycles before i start riding one hard. first heat cycle just basically let it idle to normal temp, shut it off and let it cool. next one get it to normal temp then ride it around easy for about 20 mins, shut it off and let it cool, then i recheck the head bolts and the base ones too, make sure nothing leaks, then im set. seems to work pretty good for me. ive read articles that say break it in how your gonna ride, and some that say the exact opposite.

KXRida
08-16-2012, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by CSR400EX
ive always gave my bikes a few heat cycles before i start riding one hard. first heat cycle just basically let it idle to normal temp, shut it off and let it cool. next one get it to normal temp then ride it around easy for about 20 mins, shut it off and let it cool, then i recheck the head bolts and the base ones too, make sure nothing leaks, then im set. seems to work pretty good for me. ive read articles that say break it in how your gonna ride, and some that say the exact opposite.

^^ Do this. I've always broken mine in with heat cycles. Personally I do three 5 minutes cycles. 1st is basically a warm up of the bike with very light ride time keeping under 1/4 throttle. Let the bike cool for at least an hour. 2nd cycle of 5 minutes using 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. During this cycle you want to try to slightly load the engine either by going up some mild hills or drag the rear brake a little. Let the bike cool for at least an hour. 3rd cycle of 5 minutes use from idle to full throttle then let the bike sit for 1 hour.

Granted I've rebuilt bikes between races and straight hammered on them with no break in time and I've been fine, but I prefer to heat cycle the motor first.

Drfat400ex
08-16-2012, 03:59 PM
I also did heat cycles like these guys did for my km100, but a bit different. First heat cycle I ran it in the shed at just above idle for 10 minutes, leave it until you're sure it's cold, second one I ran it around 1/4 throttle again just in the shed, leave it until it's cold, then for the third I went for about a 10 minute ride not going above 1/2 throttle, drain out all the oil, put in some new stuff, and you're ready to go, worked great for me. Main thing is don't break it in like a four stroke, gotta go easy.

TheLane
08-16-2012, 05:02 PM
I just put er together. maybe tighten some stuff down and pin it to win it!

....( on the real tho, I use heat cycles too )

ZeroLogic
08-16-2012, 05:29 PM
Heat cycles or just run it but don't beat the piss out of it for about 10 hours.

Heat cycles work the best though