PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on ATVA Supermini class structure

Logan #34's Dad
08-15-2012, 12:56 AM
I'd like to get the opinions of you all on the cc limit structure in the SUPERMINI class at the AMA-ATVA Nationals.
Currently its set up as: UP to 105cc for a 2 stroke and UP to 150 4 stroke...
There is a push to raise the 2 stroke cc limit to 112cc for the 2013 season.

I'll put a voting poll on here so you can "vote" your opinion on this "change".
Also post your comments....

Logan #34's Dad
08-15-2012, 01:30 AM
For my opinion: Currently the quad Supermini class is completely dominated by the Honda 150r engine regardless of what chassis that engine in on. The AMA allows the Supermini class in the dirtbike world to be up to 112cc. Quads are much heavier (need more power to push around) than bikes and get far less tire spin. So, If the 150r and the 112cc are competitive with each other OR even if the 112 is a little stronger in the bike world they will be far more equal in the quad world....IMO.
Also, the expense to buy/build/maintain a 150r is FAR more expensive than any 112cc 2stroke. Which has made the Supermini class all about who can afford to spend the money just to compete. I personally think this class will slowly die because the "average" family cannot afford to keep up.
There will be ppl that say the engine builders are able to produce over 30hp out of a 112cc and the 150r's only make around 25hp. Well, our heavy TRX125 only produced around 12-13 hp and 8 lbs torque and Logan beat CR85's stroked to 90's making 20-24hp in the production class this year........soooo the horsepower equality argument just does not hold water.

neveready
08-15-2012, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by Logan #34's Dad

Also, the expense to buy/build/maintain a 150r is FAR more expensive than any 112cc 2stroke.

I highly disagree..... A 112cc is a ticking BOMB!!! Constant issues and the most unreliable powerplant you can build.

I hope that everyone builds one:devil:

#404's Dad
08-15-2012, 09:41 AM
It all comes down to who you have build either motor Rock along with the rider's ability to ride it.

Not just any builder can build these things to perform at their peak and stay reliable although many claim they are able. JMO

Ryko racing
08-16-2012, 08:05 AM
I will say that the 150 motor costs no more to race than a two stroke. We have run these for 3 seasons and NEVER had a blown engine. ACTUALLY MOST OF US GET THE WHOLE SEASON OUT OF ONE MOTOR.

I know that Janssens 150 motor is very durable. In two seasons of nationals we never had an engine failure. And i did not re ring it during the season.

Fortunately this MINI WAR is no longer my battlefield. LOL.

Logan #34's Dad
08-16-2012, 08:59 AM
I guess one of the things for me personally is the initial cost to buy then build up a 150. I have a friend that spent $2000 to "freshen" up his 150 at Jannsen and another dad who spent over $3000 to fix his blown up 150 (then it did not even complete the weekend). I can build a couple 112's or 105's just for the freshening up thing.... So whats happening is, the class is about who can afford it and if a 105 cant keep up and u cant afford a 150 then people will/do skip the class - that will kill it.
So basically if we cant afford to purchase a solid 150 and the current rule of a 105 wont compete you might as well not bother with the class or be satisfied knowing your rider cannot win and will be midpack.
And to really make a run at a title you better have a backup motor.....with a 150 that could be over $8000 in motors alone (and thats a conservative cost). Whereas a 2stroke can always put a backup 90 mod engine in which keeps the cost down.