PDA

View Full Version : 400ex Hotcam question?

jvaladez656
08-14-2012, 08:45 PM
I just finished doing an engine rebuild on my 2003 400ex, I had to bore the cylinder to 85.25mm, Its running good, but I want to put a hotcam in it, which stage would be best a stage1,2,or 3?
and if anyone can tell me what the difference is?

red200040ex
08-14-2012, 10:27 PM
I would go for the stage 2. The stage 2 gives the best all around power.

dxcody
08-14-2012, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by red200040ex
I would go for the stage 2. The stage 2 gives the best all around power.

Stage 1 is lowend.

And when i had my stage 1 cam, i felt very limited. My quad bogged out when i tried to climb a hill in 3rd. Even small hills.

Stage 2 is supposeably mid-high
but like said before, my stage 2 seemed to give me all around power gain.

Stage 3 is all topend.

So i have heard. Never ran a stage 3.

But with an 11:1 compression a stage 2 is the absolute BEAST! Dunno about stock, but stage 2 is all that i will ever buy agaain.

hocman123
08-15-2012, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by dxcody
Stage 1 is lowend.

And when i had my stage 1 cam, i felt very limited. My quad bogged out when i tried to climb a hill in 3rd. Even small hills.

i have that same problem with my rebuilt 400 with the stage 1 cam never had confadence that the bike would make it up the hill. the only reason i did it was bc it came in it allready. but i just got a stage 2 in the mail yesterday can't wait to feel the defferance.

on the rocks
08-15-2012, 10:16 AM
well **** i got a stage 1 because i de i do a lot of woods riding... looks like thats gonna suck. ohhh well. lol

powerbomb400
08-15-2012, 10:24 AM
I run a Stage 2. The 400ex has always had lots of low end torque. But it lacked in the Mid to Upper range. That's why I put a Stage 2 in. Have been pleased with the results.

CJM
08-15-2012, 02:49 PM
Stage 1 is all bottom end, buddy of mine runs one in a built 400 and dislikes it. I run a stage 2 and am very happy.

2001400exrida
08-15-2012, 03:02 PM
i've got a stage 1 in my 400 and it slams you back. It's a hell of a hill climber if ya ask me. The thing will level off and plain out when it gets in the higher rpm's, but it's got torque down low and mid rpm's. I remember when I first put it in i felt like my arms were going to be ripped off. I love the stage 1 for the hill climbing, it's got tons of power at hand right where you want it, not high rpm power, but low snappy power.

i guess it really depends on what kind of hill you're talking about, for sand dune hills, yeah you want high rev power, but for the hills i go up, I'm in 2nd gear, MAYBE 3rd if it's a good smooth run, but usually i've got to have all that low end power to get up the hill without having it bog out when you hit the steep spots.

on the rocks
08-15-2012, 08:28 PM
^^^^thats good to hear. idk about the hole ripping my arms off part though lol.

hocman123
08-15-2012, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by 2001400exrida
i've got a stage 1 in my 400 and it slams you back. It's a hell of a hill climber if ya ask me. The thing will level off and plain out when it gets in the higher rpm's, but it's got torque down low and mid rpm's. I remember when I first put it in i felt like my arms were going to be ripped off. I love the stage 1 for the hill climbing, it's got tons of power at hand right where you want it, not high rpm power, but low snappy power.

i guess it really depends on what kind of hill you're talking about, for sand dune hills, yeah you want high rev power, but for the hills i go up, I'm in 2nd gear, MAYBE 3rd if it's a good smooth run, but usually i've got to have all that low end power to get up the hill without having it bog out when you hit the steep spots.

but do u have a high compression built engine b/c stage 1 might work better in a stock engine but i think it stinks in a done up engine

Stickman400
08-15-2012, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by 2001400exrida

i guess it really depends on what kind of hill you're talking about, for sand dune hills, yeah you want high rev power, but for the hills i go up, I'm in 2nd gear, MAYBE 3rd if it's a good smooth run, but usually i've got to have all that low end power to get up the hill without having it bog out when you hit the steep spots. Put a Stage 2 in and see what kind of difference it makes. It'll prolly break your neck.

FisherRacing94
08-15-2012, 09:52 PM
What compression ratio are you running? I have a 10.5:1 in my bike. I started out with a stage 1 in my bike and worked great. I wanted to get more power so I bought a stage 2 cam and had my head ported and jetted the carb. to match to get the full potential out of the stage 2. Stage 3 is more for big bore kits where you gain bottom end and need more top end to even it out and get overall more power. I would say if your bike is mostly stock go with a stage 1 if you are thinking about moding your bike go with the stage 2. I dont think you will get the full potential out of a stage 2 without a porting your head, full exhaust, open up the intake and jet the carb. If its mostly stock i suggest a stage 1 you wont be disappointed with either hotcam stage 1 or 2.