PDA

View Full Version : does 1/4" short matter?

MtnEX
08-13-2012, 07:43 PM
He guys... so I am looking at these arms and I have checked my Fox float shocks and they are very close to spec.

They are 1/4" shorter than the spec shock length for the arms and also 1/4" short on the stroke length called for.

Is this enough to even matter that much?

I know it could possibly sit 1/4" low and will have 1/4" less travel. But I have a hard time deciding rather or not that is that big of a deal.

Fox has not contacted me back since going to double check the specs for the arms. So I am thinking not because I believe they would contact back if there was money to be made here for them....

beastlywarrior
08-13-2012, 08:53 PM
shouldnt make too much difference to alter suspension movement

dustin_j
08-14-2012, 07:42 AM
If the shock is 1/4" short (extended length), you will lose more like 1/2" of wheel travel. Depending on what A-arms you are looking at, their leverage ratio (wheel travel / shaft travel) could vary from 2:1 to 2.4:1. Multiply your 1/4" by the LR to get a rough idea how much wheel travel you give up. It is good that the extended length is correct, as this will prevent bottoming the frame before the shocks! Depending on where and how you ride, the short extended length may not be a big deal for you. The biggest thing you will notice is difficulty to set ride height. Since the front shocks would be shorter, you'd have to over-spring (in your case add pressure) to bring up the ride height in the front. This will result in a stiffer ride than if the shock were longer. Also, the rear will be able to buck a little bit more on down hills and stuff since it has more down travel available than the front. Again, you may not notice the difference or care, but something to note.

Are you measuring your Evols? Make sure they are pumped up when you measure to collapse the internal top out spring (otherwise, they would measure short). If they are due for a service, you can send them in and see if they can be lengthened easily. Sometimes there are internal spacers which can be removed to lengthen the shocks. I hope this helps.

Dustin