PDA

View Full Version : Cosmetic question!

dxcody
08-13-2012, 07:24 PM
Ok so i have a question on a few things, looks wise. Im getting all my parts in by this weekend... FINALLY!

1. Until i can afford to get my GTT A arms, how completely stupid would if look if i electrical taped my A Arms... It would hold up a how hell of alot better than a rattle can i think.. And i havent really ever seen that before.

2. My case covers are paints an ugly, teal/auqa/greenish color, and i cant get the paint off to save my life, but when i looked into gettting them sand blasted, its just as cheap to buy used clean covers off of ebay. $25 to get each case sand blasted, like $20 free shipping on ebay for each cover.
But since i cant afford to do that just yet, what should i so? Rattle can them? I am sure someone on here, has rattled them before... How does it look and hold up?

I was thinking about putting some type of grip tape on the clutch part, where my foot would mostly rub, to keep that looking OK.

CJM
08-13-2012, 08:29 PM
1. Id would just wear off. Some rattlecan black and clearcoat would work better.

2. Aircraft stripper. Spray it on being careful to put it on parts you want the paint off. Then wash it off with water.

JOHNDOE83
08-14-2012, 06:16 PM
Try acetone and a rag, if that doesnt work the aircraft stripper they sell at walmart is awesome stuff.

I electrical taped my a arms once...it was ok, the rattle can paint isnt that bad, my whole atv is rattle cand and it looks great.

HondaRacing83
08-14-2012, 07:31 PM
try spray on bedliner

400man
08-15-2012, 12:40 PM
http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/ky2stroker/400ex450r006.jpg

ive had this electrical tape wrapped on my axle for a well over a year or so and its still on there. Id say go for it, just take your time and make sure you make it looks good and even on the layers.

chronicsmoke
08-15-2012, 01:00 PM
IMO I'd spray bedliner or rocker guard before electrical tape. If it chips or scratches just re-shoot it.

I rocker guard-ed my 400 frame a while back..

dxcody
08-15-2012, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by chronicsmoke
IMO I'd spray bedliner or rocker guard before electrical tape. If it chips or scratches just re-shoot it.

I rocker guard-ed my 400 frame a while back..

I already electrical taped my axle, just because i got bored. Obviously, i havent got to put any time on it yet, but i saw it on a pro quad at the race, so i did it too.

I wanted to Rhyno line my frame, but they told me i had to put a bolt in every hole, and rough sand it. And it was going to be $175 for them to do it. Which is too high IMO... But i like that rocker guard stuff.

It looks good. Does it come in different colors?

BTW I soaked my case covers in acetone for 24 hours, pulled them out and it didnt even effect the paint on it.

I took the powder coat off Full Flight A Arms with acetone, but it wont get this paint off.

D3structive
08-15-2012, 05:35 PM
the easiest way to remove the old paint and any other contaminants is to sand blast it.

audioworks04
08-15-2012, 05:35 PM
im not going to tell you what to do, but Ill tell you the pit falls to all of the above.
1. E-tape: Its going to look cheap, suck to remove and leave a sticky nasty residue.
2. Rhino line or bed liner: once scratched will peal easier than paint will. Is very very very heavy, and makes it so that your frame does not slide over obstacles, after all that is what it is designed to do. Worst of all its so thick that it will make mounting parts hard and time consuming. Best of all it easy to touch up.
3. Paint: There is nothing wrong with rattle can, it will hold up very well is prep'd correctly, sand prime bare metal sand clean sand with 400 then paint lots of light coats is much better than one thick coat. Dont get in a hurry and try to get full coverage with one coat, spray let tack spray let tack repeat. An auto body quality paint with hardener is the best bet if your want paint, but requires more tools and much more expensive.
If you want something that will hold up and look good, then spring for the extra little money and get it powder coated. It may seem pricey, but when you think of the time required to correctly prep an item for any kind of coating, it normally is a pretty fair price. But, there is no touching up powder, you must start all over.

JOHNDOE83
08-15-2012, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by dxcody

BTW I soaked my case covers in acetone for 24 hours, pulled them out and it didnt even effect the paint on it.

I took the powder coat off Full Flight A Arms with acetone, but it wont get this paint off.

Wow thats some good paint then, try the aircraft stripper its at walmart in the paint section.

I cant remember if its a blue can with a white airplane on it or a white can with a blue plane on it but that stuff works good, in 10 mins the paint will spray off with a water hose, what doesnt come off just hit it again, its ok on bearings and rubber also.

CJM
08-15-2012, 08:41 PM
Try aircraft stripper, trust me it will come off.

HondaRacing83
08-15-2012, 08:59 PM
i use paint thinner.. lol

Zakradu398
08-15-2012, 09:04 PM
Wear gloves with aircraft stripped. ish burns

dxcody
08-16-2012, 03:56 AM
This is the one i soaked over night.

Some of it flaked off. But didnt do enough to really help.

Guess ill give aircraft stripper a shot.

chronicsmoke
08-16-2012, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by dxcody
I already electrical taped my axle, just because i got bored. Obviously, i havent got to put any time on it yet, but i saw it on a pro quad at the race, so i did it too.

I wanted to Rhyno line my frame, but they told me i had to put a bolt in every hole, and rough sand it. And it was going to be $175 for them to do it. Which is too high IMO... But i like that rocker guard stuff.

It looks good. Does it come in different colors?

Just black red and a tan colour.. it's not bedliner, it's a rubberized textured paint that you can re-paint after it's dry with any colour..

I just threw it on the 400 frame as I had just got all my 450 parts PC'd and didn't want to spend that much on a beater back-up bike. It chips and dings, but never down to bare metal.

I was surprised how it worked.. Paint is the other option I'd go for, just be careful with prepping. (even cheap rattlecan paint will last long enough if you sand blast the parts)