PDA

View Full Version : Having clutch issues

bcleveland
08-11-2012, 03:11 PM
I need some help. I am almost done with my 4 year project. Its a 07 400ex the motor has been sitting in the shop taped up and covered up the whole time. Motor ran perfect last time I ran it no issues at all. Finally got it put back in today and the clutch doesnt work. I dont have the cable hooked up but when you push the lever all the way forward with your hand it stays locked in gear. The only way to free roll it is to put it in neutral. I tried cranking it on the stand and bumping it in gear to see if it would free it up but no go. Any of you had this problem before.

jman7290
08-11-2012, 03:34 PM
Clutch could be dry, did you have oil in it while it was sitting? For instance when you replace your clutch you are suppose to soak the fibers in oil overnite. So maybe flip the quad on its right side and let it sit with oil in it and see what happens, or pull the clutch out and soak it in oil and see if that is your problem or not.

bcleveland
08-11-2012, 03:40 PM
It had some oil but not much. Im thinking they are dry and stuck. I will flip it and see what happens if not guess I will pull the cover.

400exwhipper
08-11-2012, 04:09 PM
X2 there stuck, my tusk plates get stuck after only a night sometimes

jman7290
08-18-2012, 03:11 PM
Just wondering if you found the problem yet?

Pittsburgh400ex
08-18-2012, 06:11 PM
Mine sat for 8 months and did the same thing. I knew they worked fine when i parked it. All i did was fire it up and let it warm up for 5 min. Pulled the clutch in and dropped it in gear, no jerking or stalling, worked fine. I wouldn't be too worried about it.

bcleveland
08-18-2012, 06:38 PM
Yeah I got her fixed and going. I tried letting it sit on its side overnight but no go. So I went ahead and pulled the cover and the fibers were stuck to the steels pretty bad. I cleaned them all with some acetone and scotch brite and then soaked them for a few days while I was waiting on my new clutch cover gasket. Put it all together and bingo back in action. Thanks for the help guys.