PDA

View Full Version : My 400ex Wont Start, Help Would Be Awesome.

HndaRcing8
08-11-2012, 02:10 PM
Just started, just got it running this week, has been.sitting for a year, did a tune up, had to replace clutch, it started right up Thursday and I rode it for few days and yesterday was riding in the rain and sat in the pool barn over night, came out and started it and let it idle for few minutes was going to check the oil, it took little bit to get it started, would not want to stay running, got it to idle for few minutes shut it off and came out hours later, first crank it wanted to run but stalled out, second attempt sounded nothing like how it supposed to, no motor noise. Now all you can hear when you crank it is theticking from the starter, I took apart all the connectors, made sure they where not wet or loose, also checked the spark plug, its a week old and been on bike for three good rides, pretty dark but not bad, but has spark. I don't know where to go from here, I'm upnorth on vacation to ride and well can't now. Ive been checking the oil and it is dark and seems to have little bubbles in and some particles, and very watery like? Has new oil, Pro Honda 10w 40. So wtf!?

HndaRcing8
08-11-2012, 02:12 PM
When I keep it cranked justs, tick tick tick tick and nothing like wanting to crank and no flow out the exhaust.

on the rocks
08-11-2012, 09:18 PM
if it keeps ticking i would guess its and electrical connection. of maybe even the solenoid. i would re check alll the connections and make sure there tight, if it still does it just the screw driver and see if that turns the starter over. if it does get a new solenoid.

Stickman400
08-11-2012, 09:54 PM
x2 with on the rocks, see if jumping the solenoid does anything, that's what it sounds like it is.

HndaRcing8
08-12-2012, 07:51 AM
I'll try that today, what even about push starting it, that possible?

HndaRcing8
08-12-2012, 08:04 AM
Want to take the screw driver to the starter or solenoid? Also never done before so...

Stickman400
08-12-2012, 08:16 AM
The solenoid. You just want to bypass the solenoid using the screwdriver by touching the shaft of the screwdriver across the 2 posts. Be sure not to touch the shaft while your touching it together or you'll get a jolt.

300exBorg
08-12-2012, 11:42 AM
Yeah I would trace all the wires and see if the grounds and connections are all in tact you know things of that nature.

HndaRcing8
08-12-2012, 12:20 PM
As of know, All connectors are good, fuses are good, everything is getting power. You can hold the start button and let it try to crank as long as you want and it just ticks ticks ticks, all you can hear is the starter, motor dose not want to try to crank over. My carb is clean, I took that apart nothing wrong I see there.

400exwhipper
08-12-2012, 01:17 PM
Jump the solenoid with a screw driver its not hard and you won't get shocked unless you hold the metal part of the tool, that sounds like its your issue

HndaRcing8
08-12-2012, 02:35 PM
Took the screw drive across the solenoid and with power off it just cranks by its self and still won't even start. Dosent even sound like it wants to crank over, just tick.

HndaRcing8
08-12-2012, 02:47 PM
Took the screw drive across the solenoid and with power off it just cranks by its self and still won't even start. Dosent even sound like it wants to crank over, just tick.

buddy willard
08-12-2012, 02:47 PM
make sure the battery is charged and the switch is on when you jump the sylonoid or it want start it will just turn over till the battery is dead.

HndaRcing8
08-12-2012, 02:56 PM
Yep did both, battery is fully charged, had key on and it still will just tick.

buddy willard
08-12-2012, 06:18 PM
will the motor turn over if you pull it. maybe seized up or jumped timing when it stalled out.i had a dirtbike do that one time. make sure starter is not hanging up. hope this helps.

on the rocks
08-12-2012, 07:21 PM
if the motor was locked up the starter would make one tick noise and stop. the repeating ticking noise comes from either the starter losing power or ground and tapping back on the gear over and over orrrrrr the ticking is the sound of electricity trying to jump across the bad connection.

HndaRcing8
08-12-2012, 08:12 PM
Where do I go from here? It literally started that morning, then I came back out and hosed it off and it started then and stalled, and would start and just tick tick tick. I tryed jumping it. I checked my negative battery ground and cleaned surface still nothing.

on the rocks
08-12-2012, 08:26 PM
if it is a staticy ticking noise then its electricity arching ( bad connection ) its its a steel on steel ticking noise then the motor probably isn't wanting to move. try taking the stater off and seeing if it will first turn by hand and then leave the pos wire in the starter and ground the spot where it bolts to the motor and see it it will spin by hitting the starter button. hang on to that thing like you hang a pair!

while typing i though that the ground path for the starter is the spot where it bolts to the motor. make sure the bolts there are tight. and if you do the idea above when you remove the starter clean up the mating surfaces for a good ground connection.

let us know how it goes!

CJM
08-12-2012, 09:11 PM
Check the ground at the battery and on the frame. Check the positive wire and wire to starter. Also check the fuse as well just to be sure.

Now, pump the throttle 3x and push it and get a good bit of speed. Pop the clutch into 2nd and see if it kicks over. It kicks over your valves need to be adjusted.

If it keeps cranking over and over but wont fully turn over it can be the valves or the timing chain and or tensioner went as well.

Friend of mine had it happen, motor kept making a glug glug noise when trying to kick over.

Also check the carb, make sure your jets are still in there and arent dirty.

HndaRcing8
08-14-2012, 02:07 PM
When I get back from vacation I will work on what you guys are suggesting and let you know!